Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2013 6:38:00 AM EDT
When I look through my KAC rear sights it seems to distort my sight picture.  Does anyone else experience this or is there something wrong with my eyes?  It's the adjustable 200-600 USMC rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
So you came here to  confess about receiving stolen Gov property? In case you didn't know, all the USMC marked KAC sights are stolen.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Proof other than Knight's word or they're not stolen. I know quite a few people in the marines that have said they pass stuff like those sights out like candy. They've also said when they pulled out of Iraq the corps set stuff like that out in big piles and told them to take what they wanted and demoed the rest so they wouldn't have to bring everything back. My uncle that's a marine said they are really wasteful and will surplus good gear. Again proof other than Knight's word.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you came here to  confess about receiving stolen Gov property? In case you didn't know, all the USMC marked KAC sights are stolen.
View Quote

I had heard that rumor, but failing proof I have no problem paying $30 for a $200 sight.  I've also heard people say they would not buy one because
the thought of our military running around with rear sights missing from their rifles makes them angry.  No one in the military is running around
with rifles missing their rear sights.  Keep your moral indignation to yourself.  Even if you could prove to me that they are stolen government
property I still wouldn't care.

ETA:  I have conclusive proof that they are not stolen.  They are selling tons of them on ebay, if they were stolen and KAC informed ebay they would
not be allowed.  Laugh all you want but that's the truth.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Stolen sights asisde...

Looking through a rear sight should not distort your sight picture. What do you mean it distorts the sight picture?

1) Are you wearing glasses?
2) Is the sight as far to the rear as possible?
3) Do you have an astigmatism?

View Quote

It sort looks like the heat coming off a blacktopped road, it moves around when I move my sight picture.  I'm thinking
the aperture might be too small.  It does the same thing whether I have glasses on or not.  I have the sight all the way
back and I am nose to charging handle.  I think I might have a touch of astigmatism because red dots are not perfectly
round like they should be.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It sort looks like the heat coming off a blacktopped road, it moves around when I move my sight picture.  I'm thinking
the aperture might be too small.  It does the same thing whether I have glasses on or not.  I have the sight all the way
back and I am nose to charging handle.  I think I might have a touch of astigmatism because red dots are not perfectly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen sights asisde...

Looking through a rear sight should not distort your sight picture. What do you mean it distorts the sight picture?

1) Are you wearing glasses?
2) Is the sight as far to the rear as possible?
3) Do you have an astigmatism?

What you just described is the heat coming off the barrel when it gets hot. Nothing wrong with your sights. I notice the same thing on my AR when I use the irons and on my bolt action.22 when I fire it enough
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not the heat off the barrel, it happens even when I'm not shooting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to hijack the thread, but what's the difference between the $200 KAC rears and the $30 ones on Ebay? Everywhere I've read says "Oh just go on Ebay and buy a KAC rear sight for $35".
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, have you tried other small aperture peep sights for comparison?
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#10]
When I look through the KAC 200-600m with no optic between the front and read iron sights, it magnifies the front sight post. I know there are some physics involved but I just wanted to check that this is normal and that I don't need to schedule a visit with my eye doctor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The $30 sights say "USMC" on them, the $200 ones don't.  That's the only difference.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Wish I could help more but I've only experienced what you described when my barrel is really hot. Have tried a different sight to compare it? Are you keeping your focus on the front sight post?
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, have you tried other small aperture peep sights for comparison?
View Quote

I just tried the small hole on my Colt carry handle sight.  I guess it's my eyes, it's the same thing as the KACs.  Getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Woop woop! Internet cop! Get a grip.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top