Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2013 12:42:03 PM EDT
I was just wondering if others here are "color blind" (technically color vision deficient)  and have any experience with various red/green/amber dot sights?  (To summarize- there are several sub-classifications of color blindness which can have adverse affects to the ability to see red and/or green under various lighting conditions- about 10% of all males are colorblind to some extent).  I have protanomaly (defective perception of certain wavelengths of red).

I have followed many of the threads here relating to "What is the best red-dot sight for my AR15" and realize that the Aimpoint/ EOTech/ Trijicons are the best quality- but what does that matter if I can't see the dot?  The cheapest sight with a visible dot is still be better than an expensive one with an invisible dot.    With that in mind, are there green dot sights available that are decent quality?

I can (and have) traveled to various local gun stores and tried a selection of sights inside the store, but that won't give me an idea of how the sight will work with my colorblindness in conditions from bright sunlight to near darkness.

So my question is: are there others here that have colorblindness that have found a solution to this issue?  I really like the red/green dot sights (I think the green dot might be acceptable for my vision) but maybe I should just consider a 1x scope?
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Trijicon RMRs come in green or amber.  ACOGs are also available in green or amber.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe one of the Trijicon Reflex sights.  They will have an amber dot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the recommendations, guys!  

While the RMS and ACOGs look intriguing, they are beyond my budget. The Reflex looks like a good option though, I will check into this. I really like that the Reflex is always on (no batteries or switches to mess with).  I wonder why this isn't a more popular option to the red dot sights?

I am anxious to hear from other colorblind AR owners that have difficulties finding suitable optics, I can't be the only one?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I did the rounds today (gunshow and dealers) looking to try various green reticle optics and a few suggestions as noted above- not many out there (locally anyways).    The only one I found was a Sigtac CP1 3x prismatic with red/green illuminated reticle- the red washed out but the green was brilliant (yippee- I can see the reticle)!!!.  I also like that is usable with a black reticle when the batteries die.

Anyone have any pros/cons on this scope?  I did a search but it came up with no results.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Spendy but  Browe Combat Optic has a blue reticle option
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#7]
i was diagnosed as red/green colorblind, but he didnt get into specifics. That lil book with the dots is a real problem for me.

Ive looked through an Aimpoint Comp M4s and could see the dot.  Ive shot through a Eotech xps3 and could make out the dot no problem. YMMV so find a buddy that has one and check it out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I too suffer from this. I have no problems with red or green dots, although I do prefer the green over red. I have several different types of red/green dot scopes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Your optometrist should be able to help you identify which wavelengths you are under-sensitive to.  While most red LED devices emit roughly 650nm light, there is a big range of "red" LED output, so if you are less sensitive to say 590nm, a 660 or 680nm device might work for you.

On the other hand, if you just do not see any red wavelengths (possible but not common), you will need to go with some other color.  There are a lot of green reticle and green dot sights out there, but not many from recognized manufacturers, at least not at an affordable price...
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your optometrist should be able to help you identify which wavelengths you are under-sensitive to.  While most red LED devices emit roughly 650nm light, there is a big range of "red" LED output, so if you are less sensitive to say 590nm, a 660 or 680nm device might work for you. ...

Thanks for the suggestion- I will look into this next time I go to my optometrist.  However, I don't think this is a single wavelength issue or limited to a narrow range.  While I can see 'most' reds okay in perfect lighting, they tend to blend together in less than perfect lighting.  Red doesn't 'pop' for me like the normal eye- it can blend in with brown, dark green and other reds.  I seem to be red-weak across much of the spectrum.

At this point, I think the remedy may be to buy a cheap optic such as a <gasp> Tru-Glo just to test the green in different lighting conditions.  I am certain the red will give me problems (as it has in the past).  If the green works out, I will spring for a higher quality optic- I just wish there were more options for green (such as Eotech).
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#12]
For me, I can see the dot/holographic but the intensity needs to be higher. If someone is using it at the right intensity for them and then passes it to me I can barely see anything unless it is night or inside. I would suggest trying one out and just realize you may have to turn it up a lot. The fiber optic ACOG is way easier to see for me but I don't know of anything else like it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The fiber optic ACOG is way easier to see for me but I don't know of anything else like it.

Your experience with the red dot/ halographic is very similar to mine (difficult to see unless at night or inside a dimly lit room).  I tried a friend's open red dot sight at an indoor range and the reticle was invisible to me.

I have looked at the ACOGs and I think they would be the perfect solution- too bad they are way over my budget.     I did try a SigTac CP1 in a gunstore and I like the illuminated reticle in green (or red or non-illuminated black) but was disappointed when I found it is just another Chinese- made knockoff.  Maybe worth a shot though for $150...  
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I understand you have budget issues but it may be worth it to save that $150.00 and add some more over time and pick up a green reticle ACOG.  The quality of the optic is way above and beyond anything you can get for $150.00.  Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have color vision problems like the OP.  I have used a Trijicon Reflex RX30 and could see the dot just fine.  Nice sight with a very bright dot.  I sold it because I wanted something smaller and bought a T-1 which I can see just fine.  I also have had several ACOGs over the years and still have a 1.5X TA44 with the amber circle dot reticle.  I spent some time looking through ACOG reticles to see what my eyes picked up best in relation to different background colors.  I found that I preferred the amber reticle.  Green was good, but not quite as good as amber and the red was not very good at all.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the great suggestions!  I completely overlooked the RX30 (and similar Trijicon reflex sights).  The ACOGs are way out of my budget (@ around $1k) but I may be able to swing the ~500 or so price tag of the RX30.  I will try to seek one out locally to give it a try.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I am color blind as well. Ultra Dot "Red" and L3 EO Tech "Red" are very easy for me to see, and quickly pick up
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I was just gifted a BSA reflex, the PMRGBS. It has red, blue, and green with four reticle patterns. On the other hand, it's probably.50/50 if the sight will work beyond 500 rounds, there are a lot of reports of losing zero, the gllass getting loose, battery cover flipping off, etc. One major source of the issues is mounting it on a magnum caliber handgun (DUH!) and rifles larger than .308. Nonetheless, there are some using it on magnum rifles with no complaints. Yet.

Seems the guys who buy two fare better, mysteriously, the first seems to fail and the second survives. So much for anecdotal reviews. It's very much a matter of you get what you pay for under $150, and with the challenge of color perception, it's probably better to just save up and get the better optic and be done with it. I bought a first gen Aimpoint in the day, it still runs, testimony to the teeth gritting price that nearly equaled the HK91 I mounted it on. Yes, the HK's were dirt cheap in the day, less than a Rem 700.

I'm going to mount the BSA on a 6.8 AR, we'll see which sight I get, one of the good ones, or a inexpensive lens for the 10-22. Either way, it looks cool thru the lens, and it's the thought that counts.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Dr. mentioned I have color vision issues as well. I had a hard time with the book as mentioned above.. lol I'm stubborn so I would try to figure it out and would sit there minutes on end till he made me skip it.
I love my eotech and can see it well if the intensity is up enough. It doesnt wash in with the background I believe the way it is projected. I picked up a few bushnell trs 25 because I wanted the feel of an aimpoint micro on my rifle before I totally make the switch and dump that much cash. The red dot on the trs25 is slighly washy and I have to turn it up till it almost glares but it is still usable and I am getting used to it. I say go to a gun shop and flat out tell them your situation. I haven't been to one that wouldn't let you look through them.

Vortex strikefire is another green/red dot with a lifetime warranty. I have zero experience with them all though I see some raving and some hating.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top