Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/18/2013 4:03:06 AM EDT
In low magnification optics (1-4, 1-5, etc.) are you going to really experience the difference between a ffp and sfp scope in 3 gun competition? Obviously the reticle magnification/size will be different between the two but what I am really wanting to know is - will you really notice a difference in point of impact vs. point of aim in an sfp at low magnifications?

If I'm misunderstanding how SFP works, please let me know as my understanding is when you zero an sfp scope it's at it's highest magnification. After that, the poi changes based on the magnification and that's where performing the math calculations comes in. But, with 3 gun on low magnification, most of the targets will be close so I'm not sure that this will come into play.

Can someone please help clear this up for me as I'm wanting to buy a scope to start the season.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the point of aim should not change (unless the scope is defective). Rather, the BDC graduations may or may not be valid, depending on focal plane and magnification setting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I love FFP scopes,

but no, SFP and FFP wont often come into play during the typical 3-gun match.

Even with an FFP scope, Im either using target-focused holdover/under, or shooting at max power.  Theres the rare 250-400y shot where I can use my reticle, but most of the time Im moving too fast to count those tiny reticle hash marks.

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesnt matter for 3 gun...for me at least.  Second focal plane sounds better because the reticle is much bigger at 1x.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Doesnt matter for 3 gun...for me at least.  Second focal plane sounds better because the reticle is much bigger at 1x.

This is what I came here to say.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I came here to say.

This.

As I understand it, the big advantage of FFP optics is largely in the precision role, wherein your holdovers/bdc stay correct regardless of the magnification level you choose.

In 3-gun, if you are using your BDC or mildots for holdovers, you are almost always going to be at max magnification.  Meanwhile SFP will give you a larger reticle for hosing targets from contact to 25 yards.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate hearing from those who've already done it. Makes my mistakes fewer and less costly!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
As long as you're only using the top end of the magnification for long range stages then you're good with SFP. However, on the variables with a larger top end (6x or 8x), FFP may make a difference since you may not be using only the top end for long range use.

I ROed the Texas Multi-Gun Championship this past weekend, and a buddy tanked the long range stage because he had accidentally left his SFP optic on 4x for the stage instead turning it up to 6x where the stadia lines were accurate.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]
My local range's 2 and 3gun matches are relatively close range, with the farthest shot (rarely) being about 125yd.

Everything else is more CQC, some midrange, etc.

I shoot it with this and got 3rd last weekend, what focal plane is an Eotech considered?

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top