BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/7/2013 7:51:41 PM EDT
My new scope got here today. Its the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 with FFP (First Focal Plane).

I don't have any sort of review, I just mounted it up tonight. I will make it out this weekend
to get it zeroed. I will do a decent review within the next few weeks. At first look, touch and
feel....I can tell you I am continuing to be impressed by everything in the PST line. The turrets
are very nice and tactile with positive "clicks". The magnification ring is firm but not tight. This
scope also has parallax adjustment on the left side along with the light up reticle adjustment
setting knob on the eye box. The weight is relatively the same as the Nightforce that I sold to
buy this one. The Nightforce was the same magnification and .3 ounces heavier.

Here.....for you viewing pleasure.....

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It's beautiful

Also, I'm pretty sure you can never go wrong with Vortex, especially the FFP models.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice!

I didn't think this would be available for some months. I have one on order, can't wait till it gets here. I have the same mount as you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Off to their site!

Nope....they show it as "Coming Soon".....not sure why.  I ordered
it from CameraLandNY.com on Sunday and got it today.  CLNY rocks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got one on back order from Liberty Optics and can't wait!
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope you guys have better luck than me... 3 weeks ago I bought a brand new Viper Pst 6-24x50, mounted it one my AR, took it to the range for my first time ever shooting this rifle and to zero it.  After being at the range for 10 mins and not firing one round down range I found the side parallax was not working and just spinning... so back it went to vortex, and I just received it again "fixed" under their VIP lifetime warranty this past thursday... now it seems to work, however it screeches like a dieing rabbit as soon as you begin to operate it.... again not one round fired, as you can imagine I am pretty pleased with their product
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I got mine on Thursday, and all I can say is that I love this scope!

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Same here! The build quality looks really good, glass is really clear, detents on the turrets have a nice positive feel. Really looking forward to getting some range time with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one in-bound, it should be here on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]
This scope is begging for a horus.  Theyd sell a fuck ton.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Oops
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Is this truly 'daylight visible' at it's higher ranges? I think their website says 7,8 and 9 or 8,9, 10 are daylight depending on the background...

Just curious what that means.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got mine as well. Still waiting on a couple parts to get my rifle back together so I can set this thing up. I'll still be using my T1/ LT660HK for HD/SD but this should be a really good option to have available. For the price, Vortex continues to impress me. The only downside is Vortex can't seem to keep up with the demand for their FFP PST line.

shit cell phone image

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#15]

OP or anyone one else please try to make a video of you guys shooting with it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Why such a big price difference between the 2.5-10x44 and the 2.5-10x32 ??
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ffp and side focus might have something to do with it

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ffp and side focus might have something to do with it

Oh didn't realize the lack of FFP
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got mine as well. Still waiting on a couple parts to get my rifle back together so I can set this thing up. I'll still be using my T1/ LT660HK for HD/SD but this should be a really good option to have available. For the price, Vortex continues to impress me. The only downside is Vortex can't seem to keep up with the demand for their FFP PST line.

shit cell phone image

http://area7precision.us/images/pst4.jpg

What are your thoughts on the razor?
Ive been giving thought to using the vortex offset rail mount when I get my scope (hopefully Vortex gets to my order soon)

I was originally going to go with a RMR, but I got the Razor at dealer cost. The dot is nice and crisp, looks every bit as good as the dot in my T1. The machining is very nice and it seems to be a pretty solid piece. I haven't got it to the range yet but so far I think it's a keeper. It's light years better then the Sparc(very disappointed) and other Vortex red dots. I think it's a winner but time will tell.

I just got the 2.5-10x last week and I noticed that the fiber optic on the elevation turret had some glue or some shit blocking the end of the fiber rendering it useless. I called Vortex on Friday and pulled a new turret out of the mail box this afternoon(Monday). I have always heard great things about their CS and I'm glad to say that everything I have heard/read is true.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Out of curiosity, what problems did you have with the sparc?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#22]
The Sparc I had was terrible. It looked like it was hazy inside the optic if that makes any sense. The red dot looked like a zigzag more than a dot and you could see the little module thingy(where the red light comes from) while looking through the optic. The only good experience I had was that it fit a LT660HK so when I bought my T1 I was GTG. Keep in mind that this is the only Sparc I have looked through so I can't say if my experience is the norm.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Sparc I had was terrible. It looked like it was hazy inside the optic if that makes any sense. The red dot looked like a zigzag more than a dot and you could see the little module thingy(where the red light comes from) while looking through the optic. The only good experience I had was that it fit a LT660HK so when I bought my T1 I was GTG. Keep in mind that this is the only Sparc I have looked through so I can't say if my experience is the norm.

If you would have reached out to Vortex they would have probably swapped it out.  Wouldn't have changed the fact that you could see the module.  I had one before switching to a magnified optic and liked it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Whats the price tag on one of those?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Can we get some pics through the glass?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you would have reached out to Vortex they would have probably swapped it out.  Wouldn't have changed the fact that you could see the module.  I had one before switching to a magnified optic and liked it quite a bit.

I know Vortex would have. I sold it and the person I sold it to was happy. I wanted the T1. I'm sure the Sparc I had was not the norm. It's also hard to beat price wise. I wish Vortex used a RMR footprint on the Razor like they did with the Sparc. I also have a lower end 3-9x Vortex on a 10/22 for the kids. I've been pretty happy with it for the money. The fact that I don't have to worry if they fuck it up is a plus. I see a bright future for Vortex.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Whats the price tag on one of those?

MAP is $799.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What would you like to see?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Have you guys got any range time on the scopes yet?

I looked at the US Optics 1-8, then decided it was too expensive and I wanted more magnification. So, I had decided to save up for a Nightforce 2.5-10 MOAR, but it's kinda hard to justify spending that much if the Vortex is all its cracked up to be.

I think there are some thru the scope clips on YouTube.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obama
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Just a standard pic through the optic at 2.5x and 10x to see how thick the ones are.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to see a video but how about an objective side shot.

ETA: What reticle are you guys using? MOA? MRAD?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine arrived yesterday. I mounted it in an LT104 last night and will sight it over the weekend and hopefully get to the range next week. The glass is very nice, the image bright, sharp and clear. It has excellent resolution in low light, with good contrast and no flaring or dispersion that I could detect.  Light transmission seems very good at least partially offsetting any limitation imposed by the smaller objective. The image isn't as wall to wall as the 3-9x40 for example but that's to be expected from a 32 mm objective. Eye relief and position are somewhat critical at 10x but with scope mounted on a rifle and a good cheek weld it didn't slow me down at all after a fairly minimal amount of screwing around with it. It does take some adjusting to if you are used to a larger exit pupil.

The turrets clicks are very positive and reassuring, the magnification and illumination dials also very solid feeling.The scope feels very well made. The parallax adjustment is silky smooth going from 35 yards to infinity but has more and slightly varied resistance going the other way. I don't think that's a problem but just something I noted. Looking at the moon last night there was no flaring, veiling or discernible chromatic aberration. The reticle (MOA) is small but useful at 2.5 and not overly thick at 10x. The hashmarks are too small at 2.5 to be useful but I can't imagine why you would want them at that range anyway. The illumination is very nice at night and sometimes visible during the day depending on the background. I never had a problem seeing it however and my eyes are pretty so so these days.

I'm fairly new to scopes and scoped shooting so I may be missing some important points. I do know lenses however as I spent a good part of my life looking through $20,000+ prime and $100,000+ zoom motion picture lenses. I may try to get some through the scope photos and if you have any specific questions, just ask. All in all I feel it was money well spent and the scope is very well suited to its intended purpose.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I meant to add, if you are looking for something with a bigger sight picture, less critical eye position and are willing to give up the illuminated reticle, FFP and side parallax adjustment (while spending a couple hundred less) I spent a bit of time with the Viper PST 2.5-10x44 and found it to be quite excellent as well.

I'm also shocked at how good the Diamondback 3-9x40 I have mounted on my 10/22 is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice write up AGinAZ.

When are you going to go shoot it and please post a picture of your setup.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I got out and sighted it in on my freshly built SPR. So far I have been thoroughly impressed, but my experience is still pretty limited with it. My local range is only 100 yards and much of my range time was spent sighting in and cleaning. Great clear glass, the detents are positive but smooth, it is reasonably light weight and solidly built. Yes the reticle gets fairly small at 2.5 power but I can't imagine using to range at that magnification and I can definitely still see it well.  I will see if I can work on getting some photos up shortly. I hope to get it out to 300 yards next week.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Here are some photos, I am no camera guru so the reticle images are a bit rough. Reticles are 2.5X and 10X

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I should have my stick back together this week and hopefully get out to the range sometime next week. I have out to 300yds available to me at the present time. My club is soon breaking ground on 600-1000 yards but it probably wont be done until fall, so 300 will have to do. I'll get some pics up when I can with my wifes Nikon D80. I'm really curious to see how well this scope and my new Noveske Afghan barrel does @300.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I am kind of lost on your question of objective side shot.

And MRAD.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am kind of lost on your question of objective side shot.

And MRAD.

MRAD on here.

Side objective view example.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I hope these help:

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#42]
What size BC flip-up's do I need?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

14 Eye, 15 Obj.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I meant to add, if you are looking for something with a bigger sight picture, less critical eye position and are willing to give up the illuminated reticle, FFP and side parallax adjustment (while spending a couple hundred less) I spent a bit of time with the Viper PST 2.5-10x44 and found it to be quite excellent as well.

I have the SFP 2.5x-10x44. It has an illuminated reticle, but you're right it is a great scope, especially for the money.  I have no experience behind a FFP scope but it seems to be all the rage.  I am tempted to try the FFP version but I do like that its easy to range targets at any magnification because it stays large, so its easy to read the markings. Not sure I want to give that up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks TacticalCoyote it helped a lot, so what reticle do you have?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks TacticalCoyote it helped a lot, so what reticle do you have?

Hey you are welcome. I use MRAD on all my scopes if I can help it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread has me mulling over selling my barely used SWFA SS3-9x

BRD, man
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nice write up AGinAZ.

When are you going to go shoot it and please post a picture of your setup.

Thanks! I plan to get to the range next week. I will get some pics up in the next couple of days.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the SFP 2.5x-10x44. It has an illuminated reticle, but you're right it is a great scope, especially for the money.  I have no experience behind a FFP scope but it seems to be all the rage.  I am tempted to try the FFP version but I do like that its easy to range targets at any magnification because it stays large, so its easy to read the markings. Not sure I want to give that up.

Ah, you're right. I wasn't paying close enough attention. The x44 is quite excellent and the sight picture is really impressive and yes with a bit of simple math you can range with the SFP reticle at intermediate magnifications. If I recall correctly the mag ring has detents at 3.3x and 5x? tripling and doubling the subtension values respectively.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 Eye, 15 Obj.

Thanks my friend.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Well I got my "new to me" DD MFR 12.0 today so I can put my Noveske barrel together. I got the gas block set and later today I'll pin and weld my brake. After that I'm going to refinish the whole rifle in Armor Black, Graphite Black and Magpul OD Cerakote. I have a couple of hand-stops and QD sling mount coming from  Impact Weapons Components. Also was able to find a Magpul MS4 to finish it off.

I kinda wish I went with the extended version of the LT104. It would be nice to get the scope another inch forward without jamming my turrets up to the front ring. Is it kosher to run part of the scope rail onto the handguard rail? I don't see to many guys doing it so I was curios if it caused any issues. The problem is, I have to pin my stock in this stupid state. The location I have it in in the pics is where I like it for CQB situations while running my T1. I'd like to be able to run it another notch back with the PST. Thoughts? I'll keep another stock at my camp in upstate PA but I need to figure something out for this fucked state. Damn I miss Baton Rouge!!!

Has anybody used a Larue RISR? If so please share your thoughts on it?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top