Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2013 6:41:18 PM EDT
would this be suitable for hunting varmints, or would I be better off with a scope and reflex combo package. I have never used a red dot. how do they perform in low light or bright sun? how is the vision at 100-200 yds without magnification? please help
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you're doing.  

You can punch MOA with a 4 MOA dot, assuming a rifle that is MOA-capable.  The notion that group size is strictly determined by dot size is pure BS.  

But if the dot subtends your target you may have trouble making hits.  Thus, a 2 MOA dot would work fine on coyotes to 200 yds or so......not so hot for p-dogs.  

FWIW, I think a 4 MOA dot is perfect on a woods deer rifle.  That's what's on our 77 RSI .308.  I also have a .300 WBY 700 with a 2 MOA Micro on the front ring.  I shouldn't be shooting at a deer past 300 yds and 6 inches of subtension is not a problem.  They work reasonably well in low light, though not as well as a 50mm objective.  Sun is not a problem, as you can dial up light intensity (unlike with most ACOG models).

On balance, I would prefer some magnification for a mostly varmints gun, including a dedicated coyote rifle.  But if you are looking for a compromise on a mostly close quarters gun you will be fine with the 2 MOA M3.  Sometimes speed to shot trumps precision.  The optic that gives you 2 MOA rested accuracy in two seconds can be better than the optic that gives you 1 MOA rested accuracy in 4 seconds.  

Sam
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#2]
could I get the best of both worlds with magnification and the red dot?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, you can use a stand-alone magnifier.  

The 2X APs have the magnifier in front, and that restricts field of view.  Most don't like them.  But if you can use both eyes they're workable.

If there is one truth regarding optics, it's that everything is a compromise.  Doesn't matter if we're talking brightness, FOV, eye relief, eieio.

In the best arfcom tradition, the "buy both" answer would also work.

Sam
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking to get the aimpoint pro and then with my magpull flip up sights I have, I could be able to co witness with them. Down the road I could get a nice scope if I felt it nessasary, from what I have researched both should be able to come on an off as needed and still hold zero.most of the combo set ups I see dont seem that great.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top