Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2013 10:47:12 AM EDT
Anybody have experience with these scopes.  Weaver Tactical is $299 right now but Prostaff 4-12 is $169 Mil-dot or BDC.  I am wondering if the Weaver is worth the extra $ or not.  Clarity, quality ect....
Going on an AR15 20" 1:9 and looking to shoot as far out as it can (600?) and as close as 100.  Mostly paper but some varmint.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The Weaver is worth the money. I have one, and it is one of the best scopes going for the money. The glass is as clear as you can expect at that price point and the adjustments are dead on, and repeatable. You can dial the turrets all over the place, and when you bring it back to your zero, the bullet will impact right where it's supposed to.

I've had a few Prostaffs, too. Most were very good for the money, but one had pretty cloudy glass. With Nikon (and most other makers), there is a very noticeable step up in quality when you go up in price level. The Minimum Nikon I would buy would be a Buckmaster. Yep; owned some of those, too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#2]
No question the weaver is worth the extra. The two scopes aren't even comparable.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No question the weaver is worth the extra. The two scopes aren't even comparable.

Agreed.  Get the Weaver and never look back.

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Agreed about the Weaver. Check out Natchez, as they may have it on sale right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#5]
natchez wont have the weaver 3x10x40 tactical on sale . the scope is a midway usa exclusive and it goes on sale every month for 299.00 . the weaver is definatly worth every dime I wont hesitate to buy another  in the future for a different rifle. I also have the midway exclusive 6x18 side focus nikon with mil-dots . It is a good scope but the adjustments are 1/8 inch . It is not near as fast as the weaver getting on target but the gllass is almost as good .
go with the weaver  get a good mount like a bobro , adm or larue and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Just ordered the Prostaff 4-12x40mm Riflescope, Matte w/ BDC Reticle for $161.45 from Optics Planet soon as I get I'll let you know what I think about it.  It's also going on a 20" upper.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I am leaning to the weaver and was not sure if the 12 power of the prostaff would make much of a difference over 10 power of the weaver. Also the new prostaff are supposed to have improved glass with 98%.  I was hoping someone has looked thru both that could share thoughts before I order.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
They do not have overall LT of 98% it may be per lens but you loose some every time is passes through a lens. It's a common marketing scheme.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 3:13:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a Weaver grand slam a long time ago and I still have it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They do not have overall LT of 98% it may be per lens but you loose some every time is passes through a lens. It's a common marketing scheme.

I did not know that. They just claim they went from 90% to 98% LT with new models.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#11]
OK,  I ordered the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical and Midway shipped fast.  The glass is very good.  I can see a dif between it and the Prostaff.  Weaver is much better glass. Solid scope.  I have not shot it yet but love it so far.  Looking thru it at house 1300 feet away I could taget an electric outlet(plug).  Now hitting it is a dif matter.  ;)  Fine clear mil-dot retical and solid mil adjustment clicks.  Some scopes have too thick of mil-dots for precise shooting.  BTW,  I got the butler creek flips and 13 is tight for eye but ok, and 26 is too small for obj.  You could work hard and force it part way on if you wanted but it IS too small.  Anyone that used a 26 must have an older model Weaver.  27 on it's way, free from midway since I asked them what size before I ordered.  They handled it very cool.

Range report to follow.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked my first Weaver enough to buy a second.  Great scope for the coin.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
wich mount works well with it, also could I mount a fast fire 111 with it?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top