Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 7:28:16 PM EDT
Can someone let me know some good rule of thumbs on how high the scope should be off the gun?? i had a gun tell me something like from the top of the upper to the middle of the scope should be around 2".. I have a 24" floating barrel and plan to target and coyote hunt mostly and the scope i have is a 6x24x40 mil-dot i have the scope extra and its brand new and want to use it till i can afford a better on and can someone reccomend some rings that wont break the bank ..

thanks
kyminerman
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't matter as long as you have a good cheek weld with the stock. Most AR mounts put the optic around 1.4-1.5 inches above the rail. This would also allow most iron sights to fit under it.

I prefer a lot lower check weld than most. My optics on most my AR's are around 1.1 inches above the rail. Except for my ACOG.

Search through this forum you will find all kinds of different mounts to use.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you familiar with "zeroing"?

Not trying to flame you, it's a legit question. If your optic is zeroed then you should know how to adjust to range accordingly
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
reason for the question was im not a expert but i know how to sight in a scope and some say placing the scope right aginest the rail and barrell hurts trijectory and things like that.. i assume when you say zeroed your meaning sighted in

thanks
kyminerman
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Your height above the bore will not hurt your trajectory. It will change the trajectory depending on where it is placed. This is not a big deal. Put the scope where you want it and figure out your drop at various ranges from there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 3x9x32mm scope mounted on the rail using Millet x-high, two piece steel mounts (#AL00722). Scope is at perfect height for me. Rings were only $25.00 or so. If it didn't work for me, I would have tried a plan B, but I like the arrangement as it is.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top