Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2012 1:20:13 PM EDT
In the picture threads, I see a lot of low profile optics but not many risers.  I have a scope that sits kind of low on my rifle and just installed a .75" riser and it makes a world of differance in the ergonomics of the rifle.  looking through the scope seems much more natural now and I'm not bending over to look through it.  Just looking for some opinions of scope height from those with a lot more experience than me.  I know it's shooter specific, but what seems to be the optimum height above the rail for optics?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Not helping with your actual question, but one mention when using any kind of risers on the existing rails - If you then put a Magpul Mbus type folder as I did on a carbine to raise the front to be level with the rear sight, then the little "wings" on the sides of the sight will not depress far enough to let the mechanism work. I dremeled-out a little curved notch on the sides of the riser and hit it with a black paint touch-up pen - good to go...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Surprised that nobody chimed in on an actual "technical" question.  I'm curious to know how raising my optics 3/4 of an inch will change my point of impact at longer distances.  I normally sight in at 50 yards so I'm close at 200.  If I sight in at 50 now, at what distance will the bullet cross the line of sight again.  Guess I'll find out this afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Surprised that nobody chimed in on an actual "technical" question.

I read your post yesterday and really I didn't know how to respond.
Typically people mount their scopes or red/green dots so that the cross hairs/dots are above the front sight post.
To me it is a matter of comfort, if a scope is too low it hurts my neck, so I like mine higher.  Originally I had mine on a 0.83 in riser and I liked the feel
even though I had little cheek weld.  But, I didn't like the way it looked.  I finally found a 0.5 in riser that I like the look of and it puts the
dot just above the FSP.

So, as you said much of this depends on the users tastes and comfort.

As for POA/POI, I've found when you change riser height you have to re-zero of course, and thay doesn't change trajectory, meaning that your 50/200
won't be affected.

Sorry, not very technical, but I hope this helps.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top