Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2012 12:25:22 PM EDT
I'm helping a friend build an A4ish type rifle and I was wondering if we need a lo-pro type rear sight to possibly fit under an ACOG. Does it need to be low-profile or will any flip up do? I know a KAC micro would be best, but I doubt he'll want to spend that kind of money. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]

I use the matech buis on a few guns. It folds down nice and low.

On this rifle it works with my scoped rifle.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfect! thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Diamondhead!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the Matech too. You can pick them up for a good price on the EE.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
KAC 200-600 folds pretty flat and sell on the EE for around $100 shipped.  The 300meter sights sell for about $75 shipped and will work as well.

Personally if you are running a Trijicon, I'd just get a GenII MBUS because you will probably never need the back up sight.

200-600

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My vote goes to Troy. Mine has been great for three years.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
MATECH if you want adjustability out to 600 yds.

Magpul if you want a single setting like a 200-yd zero or 300-yd zero.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Troy
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm helping a friend build an A4ish type rifle and I was wondering if we need a lo-pro type rear sight to possibly fit under an ACOG. Does it need to be low-profile or will any flip up do? I know a KAC micro would be best, but I doubt he'll want to spend that kind of money. Any suggestions?

It depends on the ACOG.
TA31, TA01, or TA02  ACOGS have to be mounted back as far as possible to obtain proper eye relief, which is 1.5", and will leave no room for
rear BUIS.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#10]
MBUS It works
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Troy

Matechs are nice, but have a limited life span.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered a Troy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Troy

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
KAC 200-600 folds pretty flat and sell on the EE for around $100 shipped.  The 300meter sights sell for about $75 shipped and will work as well.

Personally if you are running a Trijicon, I'd just get a GenII MBUS because you will probably never need the back up sight.

200-600

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x282/balloo932/DSC00763-1.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x282/balloo932/DSC00768-1.jpg

Hey Balloo, how do you like the KAC sight???  Thanks, L2
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Troy
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I have KACs for clones and becuase I have grown fond of them. That being said, the next rifle I build that requires a folding BUIS will get an MBUS becuase of this. I've also owned Troys and like them but sold the ones I had due to wanting KACs or fixed BUIS.

ETA: While there is some truth to this, it will most probably treat you fine.
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]

really good article thanks.

Quoted:
I have KACs for clones and becuase I have grown fond of them. That being said, the next rifle I build that requires a folding BUIS will get an MBUS becuase of this. I've also owned Troys and like them but sold the ones I had due to wanting KACs or fixed BUIS.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]
How does the. ARMS 40L.  Compare to these sights.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Magpul MBUS are far more solid than several suggest...as that article shows.

I have KAC sights on one of my ARs for clone purposes, but run the MBUS sights on five other ARs. In the rare chance that my optics fail, I'd bet my life that the MBUS would be there, and not fail.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

KAC micro found on ebay. they run about $30 shipped

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any you believe them to be real?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The word on the forums is that they are actually KAC; the rub is that they're also marked USMC.  Apparently, Knight's says they're stolen.  The counterargument is that if they're stolen, how come there are quite so many on eBay?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, there are soooo many sellers and no convictions and no real evidence, so I think KAC is just trying to keep their prices inflated after the USMC dumped a ton of these on the market...or they did but denied it for contractual reasons.  Blockbuster used to crush tons of brand new DVDs to keep the prices up; it's common practice among businesses to do this stuff.

It irks me that there's a special notation on the EE, all righteous about the USMC marked ones being stolen or whatever, etc.  People need to defend/justify their pricey stuff and make assumptions to do it.  I've tried to find out the story by emailing eBay sellers, gunbroker sellers (and forum sellers) and all say the same thing–– that they're  common mil-surplus found at various places around and in Jacksonvile, NC––several sellers are active Marines and don't mind sharing that info––somehow I don't think they'd be doing that if the sights were stolen.

I bought one for $50 and didn't know it was labeled "USMC", and for personal bias reasons, I don't really want USMC on my gun (if it said Army or Rakkasan, I'd be fine with it––heck my Colt says LE on it).  I was miffed, but I did like the sight better than other sights.  I searched online for KAC and noticed tons of USMC labeled ones going for $25-80 and tons of BS conjecture about their legality, etc (no REAL FACTS except KAC evidently pointing out they didn't sell them to the public, which in no way means they're stolen).  

I then tried to buy another KAC and emailed the seller specifically asking, "IS THIS SIGHT MARKED USMC?" ... His response was, "NO, this sight is marked USMC," which I sadly read as NO it wasn't.  So now I've bought two of these damn things for inflated prices, when I could have bought a non-labelled one at its inflated price.  I'm not going to sell the extra since I don't know all the facts (but neither do those claiming they're stolen).  I'm going to give them away to a kid I know if he wants them (after having him research the topic) or keep them in the junk parts drawer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:02:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. KevinB from KAC confirmed that the sights are real. Knight's stance is that since they are marked USMC, and were never sold to the public, and they must be stolen.. I think they were sold off as surplus, and it's cutting into their action. There is just far too many of them on the open market. All of the sellers I spoke to say the same thing They are common surplus, bought legally at .gov auctions.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top