Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2012 5:43:14 AM EDT
Hey guys. Tryin to setup the l'il Noveske 8" with proper optics. Doing the same ol magnification vs speed back-n-forth. I only really care about out to 200ish yards but I'm somewhat of a stickler for reasonable precision.
Tried mounting a small reflex sight over/to a low powered scope, it was too big for my tastes and seemed to weigh damn near as much as the rifle empty. NEXT.!!

Thinkin about mounting the tiny little reflex forward out on the rails to try it out.  Just curious if there's somethin inherently wrong with that prior to and figured somebody here already knew or had tried it.

Thanks for any useful input..  d:^)  Schneeks..
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#1]
for something that is supposed to be use in  distance of less than 150 yards, and for quick defensive shots, I don't see any issues with it at all.  The common argument against this setup is that the rail can move independent of the barrel.  Again, for the intended use you don't really have much issues with it.  I've seen a few people argue against this, but then completely ignore that their front iron sight was attached to the same free-float barrel that they just told me that their red dot would not go on because of accuracy concerns.

If this is trijicon reflex, honestly I think far out on the rail is EXACTLY where they belong.   They are just so damn fast to acquire out there.

Set it up and try it.  Then post some pics up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The common argument against this setup is that the rail can move independent of the barrel.  I've seen a few people argue against this, but then completely ignore that their front iron sight was attached to the same free-float barrel that they just told me that their red dot would not go on because of accuracy concerns.

If this is trijicon reflex, honestly I think far out on the rail is EXACTLY where they belong.

Now there's POV I hadn't thought of before. Good point.!!  

For right now it's just a l'il Primary Arms Green dot. I wanted to try the concept before I got too jiggy with a nicer sight.
And figure the PA can have a job somewhere else if/when things change.

Thanks for your response..  d:^)  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't do competitions, but use this setup on my SPR build.  It works great!  It is a Aimpoint R-1 on a Daniel Defense offset rail mount.  Rock solid and very quick to aquire.  It adds minimal weight to the rifle.

Another option would be a mini ACOG at 1.5x or 2x.  I do like the idea of the mini dot.
Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is a better view of the mount set up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Saw several folks in Iraq w/ their Aimpoint mounted on the forward rail so their night vision would fit on the upper receiver.  They qualified that way w/ no issues.  If you really wanted to be tacticool you could mount it on a side rail & shoot gangsta'.

Forward rails, free floating or not, are supposed to hold zero; some lower rails specifically do not, as they are designated for hand grips & bipods.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:If you really wanted to be tacticool you could mount it on a side rail & shoot gangsta'.

Now yer talkin'.!! And mebbe I could get me some tacticool suspenders so's I can hang my pants half off of my azz..
Never could get th' hang of that on my own.!!  

Any difference/reason or is it just personal preference to tilt left or right for the canted mount.?   Thanks..  d:^)  Schneeks..
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are right-handed, it is easier to mount the secondary, offset optic to the right.  You probably don't want to cant the gun in a clockwise manner, as your shooting hand would be in your chest.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:If you really wanted to be tacticool you could mount it on a side rail & shoot gangsta'.

Now yer talkin'.!! And mebbe I could get me some tacticool suspenders so's I can hang my pants half off of my azz..
Never could get th' hang of that on my own.!!  

Any difference/reason or is it just personal preference to tilt left or right for the canted mount.?   Thanks..  d:^)  Schneeks..

To me, it's personal preference.  
I shoot right handed, so I mount my red dot on the right side and tilt left.  I can still shoot this way when I transition to the left side, but it is ackward.  If I was a left handed shooter, I would probably mount on the left side.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks fellas..  I'll fool with it a bit and see what comes of it..
Thanks to all for your input.. d:^)  Schneeks..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top