Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 7:35:58 PM EDT
Im wondering, in the US Army, which units are issued optics?  I'm kinda an iron sight man, myself.  But it seems everyone uses optics.
Thanks.
B
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im wondering, in the US Army, which units are issued optics?  I'm kinda an iron sight man, myself.  But it seems everyone uses optics.
Thanks.
B

I can't speak for the army, but in the USMC, everyone gets a 4x acog.  Obviously there are exceptions.  I've seen eotechs in use, and snipers/dms get higher power optics etc...

Very few units still have iron sights.  Reservists and non combat personnel (admin, motor T etc..).  We even qualify with acogs now, too.  I'm not sure if recruits train on them or not yet.  When I went thru bootcamp (2009) it was irons, then acogs at the school of infantry.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My National Guard Signal unit was issued Aimpoint Comp M4s for our M4s, so optics are pretty prevalent throughout the Army. Pretty much the only place you'll see optic-less rifles are in units where the commander doesn't trust their troops with all that expensive glass, and Reserve units with old silver-sided A1 rifles.

Everyone uses optics because they're easier and faster, and the rifle is zeroed for anyone who picks it up, unlike irons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I am in the middle of rear area logistics hell right now and every weapon I have seen other than Navy ones sport some type of optic, be it Guard, USAR or regular Army unit.  It is really the odd man out if they have a M16A2 here.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top