Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2011 3:57:19 PM EDT
I currently have 2 Ar's one RRA 223 and a RRA CAR9. I am looking for optics for both. I am a recreational shooter and hunter. As far as the 223 goes I would like to put an EOTECH 512 (or something like it) on it but am not sure if I need a magnifier (longest shot would be about 200 yds.). The CAR 9 I am not even sure where to start. Is a holographic sight warranted or just something like a laser? The shots would be much closer say no longer than 50 yds. Any help/guidance I can get would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#1]
An Eotech 512 is outstanding for the ranges you are talking about with both rifles.

The 1moa dot is actually much smaller.  I can get a much finer sight picture with an un magnified Eotech than I can with irons.

Basically, if you can see it at 200 yards, you can hit it just fine with an Eotech.  

I have done really good work with an un magnified Eotech out to 400 yards, but past 200 yards it is much easier if you use a magnifier.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the EOtech Socom 553 and the Aimpoint Pro , I like the Aimpoint better ––-  just my .02
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have also been looking at the Burris AR-332 Prism sight. I am thinking that may be a good fit for the 223 and still put the EOTech on the 9MM. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the Burris piece? Also, when it comeds to the EOTech is the 512 the best bang for the buck or should I look at other models?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
There is nothing wrong with a 512 if you don't need to run it a lot.  I don't know if they are still having issues with the springs getting weaker and causing the sight to loose power, but the older ones had that issue.  For the money, space, and peace of mind the newer XPS models are the way to go.  If you are looking at all options, the Aimpoint T-1 / micro has a lot of fans, and is a quality sight as well.  As for the burris, I have no practical experience with the things.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have also been looking at the Burris AR-332 Prism sight. I am thinking that may be a good fit for the 223 and still put the EOTech on the 9MM. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the Burris piece?

I don't have any experience with the Burris AR-332, but, I do have some experience with the Primary Arms 3X Compact Scope. I like it, mounted with no canting of the Red Illuminated Reticle. Reticle was sharp and clear. Appears to be a quality scope. One year warranty.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_3X_Compact_Scope_p/pac3x.htm

Tom
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
You know all this talk about red dots, I think it warrants mentioning: the trend now-n-days is for Variable zoom, illuminated scopes.  Although it's not as big as the red dot market for CQB scopes, Trijicon accupoints, Leupold Mark scopes and illuminated VRs, Nikons, Vortex, Bushnell, Carl Zeiss, Leica, S&B, (if you can even afford the latter three) and various other low power variable zoom scopes are gaining popularity.  You should give the variable zoom scopes a consider .
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top