Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:51:09 PM EDT
I got an Aimpoint 3x magnifier, but I need a red dot. I was thinking of the Aimpoint PRO with QRP2 for $400, or an Aimpoint H1 with LRP for $450. The 2 moa dot on the PRO would be nice with the magnifier, but the lighter weight of the H1 is nice too. Which one should I get? Is there another red dot I should look at?

Both the red dot and magnifier will go in/on LaRue and/or ADM mounts (1/3 lower co witness). Thanks for any and all help.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Paired with a magnifier, get the PRO version. The T-1/H-1 combo, under magnification, looks like ass, from my experience.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I got an Aimpoint 3x magnifier, but I need a red dot. I was thinking of the Aimpoint PRO with QRP2 for $400, or an Aimpoint H1 with LRP for $450. The 2 moa dot on the PRO would be nice with the magnifier, but the lighter weight of the H1 is nice too. Which one should I get? Is there another red dot I should look at?

Both the red dot and magnifier will go in/on LaRue and/or ADM mounts (1/3 lower co witness). Thanks for any and all help.

Primary Arms?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primary Arms?

Quoted:
Paired with a magnifier, get the PRO version. The T-1/H-1 combo, under magnification, looks like ass, from my experience.

Thank you for your input. Anybody else using a 3x magnifier?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else using a 3x magnifier with a red dot?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used both Aimpoint and Eotech.

I really like the Eotech and Magnifier combo better.  

I don't quite understand the science behind it, but the dot does not get magnified on the Eotech like the Aimpoint.  With the Eotech I can do allot more precision.

The Aimpoint magnified red dot gets distractingly large at longer ranges for me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone have any experience with EXPS3-4 and EXPS2-2 EOTech reticles when they are not magnified vs magnified?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The BDC dot models are meant to be used with a magnifier. Without a magnifier, it looks like a solid line on the -4 model. The -2 model can be used but that second dot is meant to be used at 500y so can you see that far without magnification?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok that's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure what they would look like if you were to be using one of them with the magnifier flipped to the side.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#9]
The EOTechs are better at being magnified than the Aimpoints. The center dot is very, very small (smaller than our eyes can make out), so when we magnify it, the dot stays the same size. Aimpoints, on the other hand, have a discernibly large dot, so when you magnify them, the dot gets magnified as well and takes up a lot more space.

ETA:
According to this, the center dot size is actually about .3 MOA. Since someone with 20/20 vision can only resolve a ~1MOA emission source, the dot will look exactly the same behind a 3x magnifier or no magnifier at all.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like most folks prefer the EOTech with the 3x magnifier. But I think Im gonna go with an Aimpoint PRO or M3 with a 2 MOA dot. Thanks for all of the responses.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I've read that it's smaller than .3 because the 4x magnifier looks the same too. Might be wrong though.

I've also heard the Aimpoint magnifier is a little nicer than the eotechs so if you get an Eotech you'll have the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've read that it's smaller than .3 because the 4x magnifier looks the same too. Might be wrong though.

I've also heard the Aimpoint magnifier is a little nicer than the eotechs so if you get an Eotech you'll have the best of both worlds.

The 4x wouldn't be noticeably bigger unless you had awesome eyesight. According to that brochure, it is pretty much exactly .3.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#13]
As much as I preffer Aimpoint over Eotech, I feel that the EoTech is a much better platform for using with a magnifier.  The 1moa dot with the EoTech looks a lot better under magnification.

With that said I would get a EXPS

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Burris Tripler paired with an older Aimpoint M2 and it works well.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top