Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2011 11:55:28 AM EDT
... and I am happy!

I was an EoTech supporter, until mine went out twice shooting my 308 AR ...

I never wanted an Aimpoint, as I occasionally want to shoot farther ... but that Micro warmed my heart

My question:

first Aimpoint Micro T 1 is at the moment on a Marlin Camp. Night / House go - to gun. 20 rd Mec Gar mags.

SECOND  Aimpoint Micro T 1:

1.) put it on a riser, so it´s clamp is the Aimpoint clamp with a riser in between, but I have to screw around , ahem, I mean, the Aimpoint now is higher, and only be usable on the 16" flat top middy, as the riser is mounted semi permanent to the Aimpoint.

2.) use a riser to the Picatinny rail, and the unaltered Aimpoint on top of that. Means, the Aimpoint is clamped twice: Riser to Picatinny, and then Aimpoint to riser.

Means a little bit more weight, and twice clamped might be less accurate ... but with a 1 x AIMPOINT??? WTF. IMO the way I´ll go, else you guys advise me against it.

3.) use my Carry handle, and a Weaver insert, and mount Aimpoint on top of that.

2 and 3 will allow me, to detach the Aimpoint quickly, and perhaps use it as back up on another rifle ( ok, with sight in - but that could be tested and recorded in advance )

Please share your thoughts, Gents!

Hermann

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Your post could be more clear.

I don't understand why you want to use a riser on a flat top AR. I think it's because you are used to using EOTech and they sometimes require a riser because the sight naturally sits lower and a riser becomes more necessary to get proper sight alignment. I really think you'll be okay without the riser and just using the factory mount or get one of the LaRue tall mounts. There was a thread just discussing the Micro and I posted a pic of my set-up.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/553568_Aimpoint_T1_or_M4_debate.html

Also, your concerns about accuracy being affected are valid. Keep your set-up as simplistic as possible. With the carry handle, you're basically also adding another component and now your sight picture is even more elevated. If you feel that won't be an issue then it's whatever works for you. Although I've never had my rifle set up that way, I think it would feel awkward to me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were you I would pick up a LaRue mount. Either the Standard mount or the Tall mount depending on your personal preference of co-witness. Both will allow for quick detach and will hold reliable zero when reattached.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... and I am happy!

I was an EoTech supporter, until mine went out twice shooting my 308 AR ...

I never wanted an Aimpoint, as I occasionally want to shoot farther ... but that Micro warmed my heart

My question:

first Aimpoint Micro T 1 is at the moment on a Marlin Camp. Night / House go - to gun. 20 rd Mec Gar mags.

SECOND  Aimpoint Micro T 1:

1.) put it on a riser, so it´s clamp is the Aimpoint clamp with a riser in between, but I have to screw around , ahem, I mean, the Aimpoint now is higher, and only be usable on the 16" flat top middy, as the riser is mounted semi permanent to the Aimpoint.

2.) use a riser to the Picatinny rail, and the unaltered Aimpoint on top of that. Means, the Aimpoint is clamped twice: Riser to Picatinny, and then Aimpoint to riser.

Means a little bit more weight, and twice clamped might be less accurate ... but with a 1 x AIMPOINT??? WTF. IMO the way I´ll go, else you guys advise me against it.

3.) use my Carry handle, and a Weaver insert, and mount Aimpoint on top of that.

2 and 3 will allow me, to detach the Aimpoint quickly, and perhaps use it as back up on another rifle ( ok, with sight in - but that could be tested and recorded in advance )

Please share your thoughts, Gents!

Hermann

I used a Burris FF with stock mount and cheap riser that had coin-operated knobs to tighten down.  
A cheap riser doesn’t allow you to take multiple items off and on without using a co-witness sight to readjust/verify red dot.
I like the looks of the American Defense Risers and they seem fairly repeatable.  A low profile mount for the T1 with a locking lever that’s repeatable would probably work OK and may co-witness with the correct riser.  I’m not sure who/if anyone makes one that would be as low profile as the stock mount.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello!

If may post was not completely clear, that´s because I do not exactly know until now, what I want.

If I have a riser, I can mount the Aimpoint Micro, and remove it as a back up for another rifle without too many hassles.

If I mount it on top of a carry handle, I may easily remove it and shoot carry handle, which I really like ( nostalgy )

What looks most sexy, and what is probably the best solution, is a riser for the Aimpoint, with only one clamp: the one to the Picatinny rail. But this does preclude me from useing the sight easily for any other rifle ( and the Larue is too expensive, IMO )

... the more I think about it, I think don´t want it dual purpose, I might have to buy a second Aimpoint micro.

$$$ ...

BTW, what REALLY struck me, is the light weight and extremely small size of the Aimpoint Micro!!!

Hermann
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Simple put:

what is better, as in Value / Money relation:

Leapers UTG High Profile 3-Slot Compact Picatinny-Style Riser Mount AR-15 Flattop Matte

The Leapers Compact Picatinny-Style Riser Mount is constructed of anodized aluminum. It features a side plate with spring tension for quick easy installation.

Technical Information

See-through design

Anodized aluminum

Side plate with spring tension for quick easy installation

1" high

Produkt: 992371
Hersteller: MNT-RS10S3  
Preisbeschreibung: 14.80

or:

LaRue Tactical LT660 Aimpoint Micro T-1 Quick-Detachable Picatinny-Style Mount Matte

Designed specifically for the Aimpoint Micro, the LaRue Tactical LT660 Quick Detach Mount allows you to remove your sight and replace it without loss of zero. This mount is precision machined out of aluminum bar stock and is Type-III hard-coat anodized making it extremely durable. Mounting hardware is included.

Produkt: 240004
Hersteller: 11465 (LT660)  
Preisbeschreibung: 191.30

OR:

American Defense B2-T1SCOCOM Riser Aimpoint Micro Matte

The American Defense B2-T1SCOCOM Riser is designed to interface with the B2 modular base for the Aimpoint Micro T-1. This riser positions the sight so that your iron sights will be in the lower third of the optic. The B2-T1SOCOM is constructed of 6061 T6 aluminum and is fully adjustable to fit both in spec and out of spec rail systems.

Produkt: 322495
Hersteller: AD-T1-SOCOM  
Preisbeschreibung: 31.50

???

(Please help me, any input is welcomed!

Hermann
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top