Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2011 3:58:30 AM EDT
Neebie question!!! I checked the FAQ section and didn't find the information. So hear goes, what is the differance between a Red dot sight, and a Holpgraphic sight? Sorry if it is posted somewhere else i looked but couldn't find any information
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#1]
A red dot sight projects a single LED-generated dot onto a forward lens where your eye sees the reflection. Aimpoints, for example, are parallax-free past 50yds (although the parallax is very minor closer than that). Lower power requirements allow for insane battery life (years of 24/7 operation w/the newer Aimpoints).

A true holographic sight uses a laser to generate a hologram of the reticle pattern. Eotechs, for example, are supposedly parallax-free at all ranges. Lasers require much more power and so can never hope to equal an Aimpoint's battery life (Eotechs get at best appx 1,000hrs per battery set).
HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Another thing to note:

If you break the front lense of a red dot it will render it un-usable.

If you break the glass on a holographic sight it will still work
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank You, Tomac!! Next question, then witch one is the "better" system? Why do some people prefer Red Dot over Holographic or vise versa? Just a matter of Price? I am just trying to learn about this subject.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The eotech is faster, alot on here prefer the aimpoint solely on battery life.

The groups in .mil that use them usually go with eotech since its the faster optic
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Best advice, go to a store and physically look through them yourself. There is no way to explain exactly how the Eotech reticle appears to the eye, except to say that it appears to float in space near the target. It is that reason that makes it faster. You don't have to wait to get lined up directly behind the optic to see it, and it will still be on target.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Just make sure you look at the target and not the reticle and with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank You, Tomac!! Next question, then witch one is the "better" system? Why do some people prefer Red Dot over Holographic or vise versa? Just a matter of Price? I am just trying to learn about this subject.

Previous posts bring up good points.
"Better" depends upon your personal needs & pocketbook.
I've used numerous versions of both and would be happy w/either an Eotech or Aimpoint if you handed me one.

With that being said, I find Eotech's circle-dot reticle to be faster for me than the Aimpoint's single dot and the Eotech's FOV (field of view) through the optic is more forgiving of imperfect cheekweld when shooting from awkward positions.

However, Eotechs have more reported problems than Aimpoints, don't have anywhere near the battery life, have a 4 or 8hr auto-shutoff feature (so they can't be left on 24/7) and the buttons aren't as fast/easy to use than the Aimpoint's rotary switch.

Aimpoints are quick to turn-on or adjust, can be left on 24/7 (literally for years) and are arguably more rugged/reliable than Eotechs. The smallest Aimpoints (Aimpoint Micro T-1 or H-1) are much smaller/lighter than Eotechs (if that's important to you) but their 20mm tubes are less forgiving of imperfect cheekweld than their bigger 30mm Aimpoint cousins.

However, I find the Aimpoint's single dot to be slower to acquire & use (YMMV) and Aimpoints tend to be pricier than Eotechs.

So, what's important to you?: Speed but less ergonomic controls/battery life/reliability or more egonomic controls w/best battery life/reliability?

For a homeowner, IMHO they're probably best served w/an Aimpoint because it can be left on 24/7 and under stress is faster to adjust for varying light conditions when something goes "bump" in the night and rudely awakens you at O-dark thirty.
JMHO, HTH...
Tomac

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used numerous versions of both and would be happy w/either an Eotech or Aimpoint if you handed me one.

With that being said, I find Eotech's circle-dot reticle to be faster for me than the Aimpoint's single dot and the Eotech's FOV (field of view) through the optic is more forgiving of imperfect cheekweld when shooting from awkward positions.

However, Eotechs have more reported problems than Aimpoints, don't have anywhere near the battery life, have a 4 or 8hr auto-shutoff feature (so they can't be left on 24/7) and the buttons aren't as fast/easy to use than the Aimpoint's rotary switch.

Aimpoints are quick to turn-on or adjust, can be left on 24/7 (literally for years) and are arguably more rugged/reliable than Eotechs. The smallest Aimpoints (Aimpoint Micro T-1 or H-1) are much smaller/lighter than Eotechs (if that's important to you) but their 20mm tubes are less forgiving of imperfect cheekweld than their bigger 30mm Aimpoint cousins.

However, I find the Aimpoint's single dot to be slower to acquire & use (YMMV) and Aimpoints tend to be pricier than Eotechs.

So, what's important to you?: Speed but less ergonomic controls/battery life/reliability or more egonomic controls w/best battery life/reliability?

For a homeowner, IMHO they're probably best served w/an Aimpoint because it can be left on 24/7 and under stress is faster to adjust for varying light conditions when something goes "bump" in the night and rudely awakens you at O-dark thirty.
JMHO, HTH...
Tomac

Great post Tomac you gave all the pertinent facts in the whole aimpoint / eotech war.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

<snip>

Good post that more or less sums it up.

I would also be happy with either and see an XPS in my future.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I sometimes "lose" a red dot, when trying to snap a shot off. I like the EOtech reticle better for that reason. It's nearly impossible to lose.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top