Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2011 9:47:16 AM EDT
hey guys I am looking to get some optics for my 50 Beowulf I want to use this rifle to hunt hogs so I need some opinions on what optics are liked scope Vs red dot pros and cons of both would be helpful

I have been looking at the Leupold Vx-1 3-9x40 shotgun scope so I know it should hold up to the kick of the wulf also I have been thinking about the 512 EOtech with a 3x or 6x magnifier both seem like they would work out well I am just not sure what to go with

thanks for the help

James

Link Posted: 10/23/2011 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
anyone ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
you would be better off with a Leupold vxr. 99%of the hogs I shoot are at night under a feeder light or full moon. Go with illuminated recticle and some magnification for an all around pig rig.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks the Vxr riflescopes look good I noticed they have a hog reticle seems like that would be a good match
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Leupold VX-R
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I would go with the leupold vxr based on my experience with a leupold vxII  2x7x33 I have on my 458 socom . I have well over 1000 rounds down range and the optic has never let me down. I am looking real hard at the vxr 3x9 patrol rifle scope.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Leupold VX3 illuminated circle dot.  I have made several running shots with this optic, very instinctive to use fast. Better than crosshairs for quick shooting due to large circle and no clutter.

VX3 circle dot

Put it in this mount:

AR mount
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Leupold VX3 illuminated circle dot.  I have made several running shots with this optic, very instinctive to use fast. Better than crosshairs for quick shooting due to large circle and no clutter.

VX3 circle dot

Put it in this mount:

AR mount

thanks im now looking more at the VXR 1.25-4x Hog it has a illuminated center dot with cross hairs seems like a scope is a much better optiion for what im looking to do
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Ordered my 3-9x Patrol model VX-R today.  Back ordered though.  Should be here in 2 weeks.  Sounds like a bad ass scope.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
An actual variable powered optic would be better suited in my experience.  I've used, and currently use an EOTech, and have used a magnifier.  IMHO magnifiers suck, are heave, clunky, and a patch for an actual scope.  Spend the money and buy one, you wont regret it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top