Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2011 4:52:01 PM EDT
Hey folks sorry if this has been asked a thousand times. If so I would appreciate some help finding the thread. Anyway I have a flat top AR that I want to put iron sights on. Not as a back up but as the primaries. Does anyone know of a website where I can find a lot of quality irons sights in one place to compare. Or a thread here discussing the finest iron sights. As anyone I don't want to over pay but at the same time I want the highest quality I can find. I pretty much have an unlimited budget. Let me rephrase that; I don't want to pay $1000.00 for irons but I do want to find the very best sights I can compare. Thanks much guys. The rifle is a Noveske light reece. It looks exactly like the picture below.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a set of YHM QDS (I think) flip ups that are pretty decent for the cash. I'd probably grab a carry handle if you never plan on optics, and probably an HK like fixed front (I just like the look). I'd skip anything plastic unless it was a backup under a bomb proof ACOG or aimpoint and not at all for the front, but I'm just fickle I guess.

Silly question, why no optic on that expensive a rifle. If I shelled out for that much accuracy capability, I'd prefer to maximize it. Of course, if I'm really on it thats less than 2moa difference but still.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Silly question, why no optic on that expensive a rifle.

I want something very durable, no glass or batteries. I also would prefer a non flip sight. I want a sight that can knock a mans teeth out and continue be repeatable. I would prefer night sights but I don't even know if these exist. A little history about myself. I do a lot of competitive shooting, NRA Highpower, F-Class, ARA, RBA, I shoot a lot of skeet, bullseye pistol and .22 silhouette, along with bird and buck hunting every season. I have been doing this most of my 39 years. My sons are 20 and 19. They're good boys and they work for me. They're starting they're lives and families.  I bought three of these rifles. One for myself and each of my sons. We'll shoot these guns but if we need to reach out and touch something we have that ability. These rifles I want quick and bullet proof.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Larue makes a very durable fixed rear sight. For the front, look at LMT or the POF-USA FTA-2005.
Both XS Sights and trijicon make tritium front sight posts.

For what it's worth, aimpoint sights are incredibly durable and reliable. The T-1 is so light, durable, compact and has a very long battery life..
The belief that it isn't durable enough for your use is pretty unfounded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89HEefl1KI4
That rifle has an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like my Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight, it's fixed though, doesn't fold up/down.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/sights-dd-a15-fixed-sight-black-rear-p-255.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I really like my Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight, it's fixed though, doesn't fold up/down.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/sights-dd-a15-fixed-sight-black-rear-p-255.html

That's similar to what I had in mind. I want fixed sights designed to be primary not back up. I'll tell you guys I've searched and searched this evening. It seems the vast majority of iron sights out there are low profile and designed as back ups. I'm just not finding what I want. I want something that gets my head up off the rifle a little bit like the M4 I carried in the service.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd definitely take a look at Troy's sights, some have the tritium inserts as well. DD and LMT are other good options.

I'd personally run a carry handle and a fixed Troy up front, given your requirements.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#7]
My 'nice' irons are a Rock River 'national match' detachable carry handle w/ 1/4 MOA rear A2 sight.  Any quality 1/4 min rear sight should work (dpms, or white oak for example)

I then replaced the fixed rear hood and leaf with a White Oak leaf set (rsaa4) so that I can unscrew the hood and use the ghost ring.  I like my rear peep sights, but I hate to give up the ghost ring to get it.  Another option is a 'tac' hood from Bob Jones.  Bob has a number of nice rear peep options to check out.  I've got one of those installed in a Troy flip rear for another setup.

My front is a lyman globe JPFS-ALS from JP Rifles, and with the scores of inserts available for globe front sights, its a pleasure to use.  Highly recommended, but I'm not sure if the riser would work on a rail-height front.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#8]
How about the LMT A2 rear sight? It's basically a cut down carry handle that has same sight plane as a standard carry handle.

LMT fixed rear sight
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How about the LMT A2 rear sight? It's basically a cut down carry handle that has same sight plane as a standard carry handle.

LMT fixed rear sight

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks much. If you guys can suffer one more question. Does anyone know if this LMT sight can be retrofitted with night sights, or has anyone used photo reactive paint? on something like the LMT? I'm definitely ordering the LMT's today and may just have to live with tritium on the front. Thanks folks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top