Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2011 7:16:25 AM EDT
Thinking of doing without a rear BUIS and just trying to use an Aimpoint Micro as a ghost ring with an MBUS up front, I'm wondering if there's a way to make any kind of mark on the rear lens of the Aimpoint without FUBARing it.

I'd thought of perhaps a clear laser label with a light aperture or a horizontal bar with which to align the MBUS' ears, or perhaps just a felt tip mark. But I don't know what effect that might have on the lens.

Input?
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Why do you want to F up your Aimpoint?

In the unlikely case it does fail, just put the front sight in the middle and shoot.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#2]
In a pinch you could do as the previous poster said and put the front sight in the center of the tube and pull the trigger.  I do not understand the reluctance towards a rear BUIS.  I prefer the troys but they are a bit more expensive.  I have used the Gen I and II Magpul ones and they are alright and definitely less expensive than a new red dot when you mess it up with this marking idea.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I've emailed Aimpoint CS for their input.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thinking of doing without a rear BUIS
Why? No one has asked the question so I will.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My advice would be to get a cellphone screen cover and cut it to fit, then mark it up with whatever you want.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The T-1's mounted on an Aimpoint riser and with the stock/everything else combo I like it. But all of my rear BUIS put the rear aperture too high to effectively use sighting through the Micro's tube. I know Troy has a Micro set, but that option is not appealing if I can get this approach working. It is after all a backup only.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The T-1's mounted on an Aimpoint riser and with the stock/everything else combo I like it. But all of my rear BUIS put the rear aperture too high to effectively use sighting through the Micro's tube. I know Troy has a Micro set, but that option is not appealing if I can get this approach working. It is after all a backup only.
Why is the T-1 mounted so low?

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Why?

Couple of suggestions:
Use front site as front sight and the ring of the AP as a rear sight. Good for close in work.

Use green laser. In case of failure use green dot through tube as replacement reticle.

Use front and rear sights.

Use no BUIS, trust your micro will work. (It will)

I wouldn't screw with the lens, there's no reason to mark on the rear sight, which won't provide any sort of adjustment.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why is the T-1 mounted so low?

On this gun I prefer it to the height of the Larue mount.

Quoted:

Use front site as front sight and the ring of the AP as a rear sight. Good for close in work.

Already there, just toying with some refinement.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#10]
That doens't make any sense.  Look at the top shooters in 3 gun, special forces, security detail, etc..  All of them use a rear BUIS because it makes sense, gives better accuracy, and is proven in combat.    Could it work without a rear sight?  Yes.  But why do it to save $50 bucks?  

Sometimes refinements to a gun make a positive difference, but other times it is just dumb.   I'd say this idea is a solution looking for a problem and I for one would NEVER mark up a $500 optic.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Lightweight flip up sights like the Swan marked ones or MAGPUL flip up with just a quick bump on the release.  Put mount that is at absolute cowitness not lower 1/3.  Then you can verify zeros between the sights.  Shoot with the rear sight folded and front up.  Shoot with front sight and rear folded. (Better in low light.)
If you don't have a riser on you Micro and it is too low too use at all with the front and rear sights you are going to spend too much time getting your head that low on your stock anyway.  Best way to compare speed is with a real timer.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top