Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2011 6:35:24 PM EDT
Considering a TR24 with green triangle.  Is the Tritium good to go for a defensive optic in low light?  

J223...
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If your eyes are adjusted to the night it is gtg IMO. If I just turn off the lights and my eyes have not dilated and adjusted yet I can't see anything. If I wake up in the middle of the night and the room is dark I can see it fine
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I use mine for deer hunting and in the early morning and dusk its easily visible for me. I have tried it in a completely dark room, it's not as bright as it would be during the day, but the triangle still can be seen IMO. I should try it on a night with a full moon just to see if it has any effects on the brightness of the sight.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Found this on Google Images:

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the others.  When new it should be fine to use at night, just be aware that tritium is a radioactive compound so it will degrade over time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Considering a TR24 with green triangle.  Is the Tritium good to go for a defensive optic in low light?  

J223...

if i was going to use my AR for defensive purposes.....i would also put an offset red dot next to my TR24G (triangle).

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I run one on a tac team.  100% usable in any given light situation.  I've ran plenty of night ops an even with my shade closed and only relying on the tritium it works great.  Believe it or not it's bright enough to use with the naked eye but dim enough to pick up through my PVS 14's with no bloom.  IMHO I wouldn't  waist your time or money with an off set RDS, the TR24 is a great all around optic.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

J223...

if i was going to use my AR for defensive purposes.....i would also put an offset red dot next to my TR24G (triangle).

Why would you need two optics?  I don't understand that, especially when this one is a 1-4x.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate all the responses !  The next question then is what is the brightest color: amber, red or green when in "tritium mode" for low light?   Just for the record, the gun is question is my Noveske Team Upper in 18" that I mainly use for 3 gun.  But the "Suburban Commando" in me can't have anything that isn't suitable for SHTF duty if needed.

BTW –– My current setup is actually a TR21-3 (1.25-4x) WITH a Burris FastFire mounted on a  JP 45 degree offset. I agree with the consensus that the TR24 will replace the need for such a combo with its virtual 1x low setting.

Thanks again

J223...
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Green without question.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Green without question.

Good to know -

J223...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top