BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2011 4:08:44 PM EDT
On SKDtactical.com it has the Aimpoint PRO as LEO and Military only per Aimpoint's intstructions, is this true?
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if it's true but there's plenty of other places to buy one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I'm on LaRue's website and it doesn't have the disclaimer on there but it's too late to call and ask as well.  So I thought I'd see if anyone on here knew.  If not, I'll just wait until Monday and call.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The PRO sitting on my SBR says no, since I don't have a badge.

www.azarmament.com is taking backorders again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
They weren't at first.  I thought I remember something about that changing to LEO/.mil only now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Aimpoint is restricting the sale of this optic to Law Enforcement Agencies, Military Units, National Guard, Security Companies, Federal Agencies, US Government Contractors and their employees. If you have any questions about your eligibility to purchase please call or email us.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aimpoint is restricting the sale of this optic to Law Enforcement Agencies, Military Units, National Guard, Security Companies, Federal Agencies, US Government Contractors and their employees. If you have any questions about your eligibility to purchase please call or email us.

Holy shit.  I got the last civvy shipment from them then.

That sucks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]
wtf? why?
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
LT still has them without the disclaimer
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
wtf? why?

If it's anything like the CEU the Swedish .gov considers them weapons of war and does not allow civvies to own them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
wtf? why?

Because Aimpoint decided they want to do that. Being a free market, you can either make yourself one or buy another.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

wtf? why?

Demand/Supply marketing.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]
There are still dealers out there that sell to anyone with the coin.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, it's true.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
wtf? why?

Because Aimpoint decided they want to do that. Being a free market, you can either make yourself one or buy another.

In that case, i think its a fair reason to boycott them IMO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I imagine they don't make much on the sale of each PRO, but they wanted to get them in the hands of LEO's at a reasonable price.  If that's the case, I have no problem with that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf? why?

Aimpoint cut a break to cops who can't afford to spend $700 on a patrol rifle optic.  In my book they get a +1.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
wtf? why?

Then do it, put a vortex on your rifle.

Lower prices for people who use the items for work is pretty common, I don't tend to complain about it.  Plumbers have plumbing wholesale where I can't buy, Cosmetologists have beauty supply companies where they get a break, Ski Slope employees have better ski lift prices even at other slope's lifts and so on.  That's just a few and they get WAY better prices than you or I do.  To get pissy about it is silly, its just one of those things that's everywhere but people tend to get pissy about it with LE only for some reason.

And yes I'm a LEO but I haven't used Aimpoint's or EOTech's LE pricing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
wtf? why?

Why?
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 1:02:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf? why?
 Why?
He is exercising his free market rights for whatever reason he wants.

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good luck.  I doubt they'll miss your business.
Do you boycott other businesses for only selling to a specific crowd?
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
wtf? why?
 Why?

LOL...yeah, go ahead and boycott them.  Shoot yourself in the foot and pass on quality optics when I doubt they will miss the business.

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#22]
at the SHOT show we we told the PRO was a LE or Mil only, so we bought a buttload(we are LE dealers, actually we are down to just 2) but within a week I saw them sold by everyone and their brother, so I guess Aimpoint lied to us or just dont give a crap

regardless is a great optic at a great price, I run one on my HK MR556 and love it
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.  I doubt they'll miss your business.
Do you boycott other businesses for only selling to a specific crowd?

I do,
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought one and is sitting on my A4-gery. 437 out the door at the local gun shop. Just lucky I guess.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
wtf? why?
 Why?

LOL...yeah, go ahead and boycott them.  Shoot yourself in the foot and pass on quality optics when I doubt they will miss the business.

I will! I'll just purchase a Leupold, or Trijicon instead!
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#26]
There you go, good plan. Don't buy something they won't sell to you in the first place. That'll show 'em.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Thats retarded..

The quickest way to get blacklisted by a massive market is to pull the restricted card.

Keep in mind American civilians spend more money on guns, ammo and accessories in a year than most militaries.

I'm not throwing away my aimpoints, but I won't buy another.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#28]
It amazes me how many people want to jump on the boycott bandwagon and they don't even know why Aimpoint has restricted sales of the PRO.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It amazes me how many people want to jump on the boycott bandwagon and they don't even know why Aimpoint has restricted sales of the PRO.

Sadly that is the way it pretty much works around here at times...

I guess they forget that Aimpoint also puts out several other optics that they will sell to whoever can afford them.  

They put out the PRO for a lower cost Patrol Rifle Optic mainly for LEO who couldn't afford them otherwise...Pretty good of them to do that in my book.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 4:08:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thats retarded..
The quickest way to get blacklisted by a massive market is to pull the restricted card.
Keep in mind American civilians spend more money on guns, ammo and accessories in a year than most militaries.

Yeah, b/c all those restricted PEQ/PAQ's were keeping people from chasing them.

As stated, there is a reason they limited this optic.  Even with that, they don't seem to be enforcing it very much/at all.  LOL at being blacklisted too.  Even with putting out a shitty product (Oly, Hesse, etc) or having horrendous customer service (Botach, etc), people will still buy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf? why?
 Why?

It's his money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats retarded..

Yeah, b/c all those restricted PEQ/PAQ's were keeping people from chasing them.

As stated, there is a reason they limited this optic.  Even with that, they don't seem to be enforcing it very much/at all.  LOL at being blacklisted too.  Even with putting out a shitty product (Oly, Hesse, etc) or having horrendous customer service (Botach, etc), people will still buy.

I wouldn't confuse an FDA ban on certain powers of IR lasers with Aimpoint's decision to voluntarily restrict their sales of a non controlled optic to the public at large. Rather than restricting a lower cost optic, I would think from a marketing standpoint, that it would pay greater dividends to get more people into an Aimpoint at a lower price point and develop brand loyalty. Especially in a tougher economic market where people are looking hard at lower cost options.

Anyway, fuck 'em, I'll just buy an EoTech.

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wouldn't confuse an FDA ban on certain powers of IR lasers with Aimpoint's decision to voluntarily restrict their sales of a non controlled optic to the public at large. Rather than restricting a lower cost optic, I would think from a marketing standpoint, that it would pay greater dividends to get more people into an Aimpoint at a lower price point and develop brand loyalty. Especially in a tougher economic market where people are looking hard at lower cost options.

Anyway, fuck 'em, I'll just buy an EoTech.

As I understand it, there is no FDA "ban" - it is more or less a restriction to .mil/LEO.  They are legal for civilians to own but there is a large gray area in the owner/distributor/FDA circle.  I agree though, it is a slightly different example but I think there are enough parallels.

I don't want to turn this into a AP/EO bashing, but I would definitely do my research before I bought another EO.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#34]
My opinion - likely doesn't carry as much weight as I was able to get the PRO - but this is my view.

Aimpoint saw a major opportunity to make a less-expensive optic specifically designed for LEO's.  LEO's are clearly a major buyer of their products.  I see it as a damn good business decision, not to mention being loyal to those who truly need a less-expensive version.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, why not just give LE, etc. a 'special' discount, etc. instead of locking out civvies who may need  'affordable' just as much as anyone else?  Why create another divide, where none existed, and risk leaving a bad taste in the marketplace over illogical availibility restrictions, that seem sensible to or favor one 'group' over another?  I do get the point, but the entire issue is manufactured just to have to defend something meaningless...JMO.  I (like alot of folks) have used them and like them...but as a civvie now, I see an aimpoint at <$500 as an option, and an aimpoint at >$500 as an over priced, non-option.  I can buy more features, batteries, ammo, lowers, etc. by going to something else, and maybe not have quite the quality or battery life, but will logically be able to justify it from a practicality standpoint.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Butthurt is flowing...
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Aimpoint can't offer an LEO discount on an optic that is already at rock bottom pricing.  They probably can't afford to offer the PRO to civvies just like Glock can't afford to sell you a pistol for $399.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Fuck em
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Aimpoint can't offer an LEO discount on an optic that is already at rock bottom pricing.  They probably can't afford to offer the PRO to civvies just like Glock can't afford to sell you a pistol for $399.

I can guarantee you they are not losing money or even breaking even for that matter, by selling the pro at $400. They are definitely making a profit on it, just not as high as they do on T1/H1s, M4s, etc. By limiting "who" can purchase this lower yield product ensures continued sales of their other optics. Makes perfect business sense so that this "value" optic doesn't cannibalize sales of their higher yield products.

But of course, this restriction is for the "benefit" of LEO/.MIL/GOVT CONTRACTORS/ETC,ETC and the restriction came about AFTER the Pro became so popular in all markets.

I do get it though, and support the decision as long as they keep up the R&D to keep coming out with innovative products.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly that is the way it pretty much works around here at times...

I guess they forget that Aimpoint also puts out several other optics that they will sell to whoever can afford them.  

They put out the PRO for a lower cost Patrol Rifle Optic mainly for LEO who couldn't afford them otherwise...Pretty good of them to do that in my book.

OK, I'm tired of this argument. The only way it is valid is if aimpoint is losing money on these. Think about it, sell 100 to LE only at $5 profit per, or sell 1000 to everyone at $5 profit, which makes more sense? Having said that, I am done with aimpoints, this HKish attitude of "our shit is too cool for stupid civies" just doesn't fly with me. When my comp M2 comes back from warranty repair, it'll be going on the EE. Goodbye aimpoint, hello leupold, trijicon or eotech.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Holy shit, looks like I'm dropping some serious cash in the EE soon with all the butt hurt I'm seeing.  I expect serious discounts from everybody as well, as its a moral reason they are getting rid of their Aimpoints, not profit driven.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Holy shit, looks like I'm dropping some serious cash in the EE soon with all the butt hurt I'm seeing.  I expect serious discounts from everybody as well, as its a moral reason they are getting rid of their Aimpoints, not profit driven.

Dude this is afrcom. Tough talk but in reality, aint nobody gonna do shit lol.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.  Let me know when you do that GreyKnight, I can always use another one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Well that's unfortunate.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Well this thread got out of hand in a hurry.  All I wanted to know was if there was a true restriction from aimpoint or if a couple of shops were blowing smoke.  This wasn't meant to be a **** aimpoint thread.  I'm still going to buy an aimpoint regardless because I want the best red dot I can buy for my HD/SHTF gun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Have we heard from an actual LE officer yet?  Why doesn't the department pay for their optics?

I'll just have to hunt down a retailer that doesn't have their head up their ass.

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Have we heard from an actual LE officer yet?  Why doesn't the department pay for their optics?

I'll just have to hunt down a retailer that doesn't have their head up their ass.

LEO dept's around here don't even pay for duty handguns, they give recruits the list of specific acceptable firearms and points them into the direction of the dealers who give LEO discounts.  All patrol rifles (that I know of) are also personally owned.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Principle will go out the window and they'll be asking full retail.  I love me some Arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Perhaps Aimpoint could sell them to civvies at a price between LEO and the M3.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#50]
1. There was a niche they had the opportunity to market to.  No different than S&W dumping M&P's on the LEO market cheaper than a civilian can buy them.
2. There don't want to hurt their other markets.  Especially the one where AR owners pump out big bucks for T1's, M2's, M3's, et al.
3. They have not done a good job of managing their outlets and there is probably a lot more downside with pissing off their dealers than individual shooters.
4. They probably do care what we think but they would rather have our money spent on their other models while they lowball the PRO in LEO/Mil  to dominate market share.
5.  Too bad.  I did get one and it's a really nice setup for the money.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top