Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2011 9:36:35 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

I've just completed building a new Savage/Shilen .260 Remington build, and I'm looking to top it with some new optics. It will primarily be a bench gun spending time at 100-700 yards, but may see 1-2 white tail trips a year.

I'm looking for something in the 6-20ish power range, with around 100MOA of internal adjustment. I've got a Vari-X III mounted on a .223 bench gun that I absolutely love. I would buy another, but it doesn't have enough adjustment internally, and it's got the standard hunter turrets.

In the past I've had a VX3 8.5-25x50LRT on a 300 RUM that was a good scope, but it started "boiling" and getting a bad mirage at anything past 20 power in less than perfect conditions. I also felt my older Vari-X III has better optical clarity, with just as precise adjustment.

I had all but settled on a new Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50LRT with a fine duplex reticle, but I've tried to keep an open mind and look at alternatives. To me the Leupold is a constant, a bench mark, and solid glass. That being said, I can't help but think it's slightly overpriced for what you get.

Over the past few days, I've been frantically searching for feedback & reviews on scopes in this relative price range ($700-$1000) with these features.

I've noticed the Sightron SIII series seems to be getting a good bit of publicity on several forums, and I wanted to get some feedback from those that have used them. I have seen them compared to Leupolds, NightForce (BR series mostly), and other high end optics. In most cases the reviews seem to indicate they are better than the Leupold and "on par" with a NightForce BR scope.

I don't have a Sightron dealer close to me, so I was hoping I could get some feedback from those of you with an SIII and other high end optics. What would you do?

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a VX III 4.5 - 14 X 50 with their Varmint hunters reticle. Superb.
I also have  a new MK IV 4.5 - 14 X 50 LR  I ordered with a fine duplex. I like these reticles for centerfire and rimfire.
Not much time behind the MK IV to brag on but it is less than a grand, glass like my VXIII and adjustment range should be what you seek.
I can tell you that for me, I shoot targets at about 10x and critters 8 - 12x depending on conditions. Also the eye box can get small working up in the 12 - 12+ [18] mag. range. I would not need more power.
I was shooting 50gr. 223 @ 200 today and with bipod / body it was easy to keep shots on or very near a 1" dot. At 10x I could see that 1" circle just fine. Clouds, humidity off the chart, The VX III was workin fine.
Thats what I got.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both a Leopold VX-III 3-9x40 and a Sightron SII 4-16x42 MD (not a SIII). The Sightron SII is every bit as good as the Leopold. I think (for what I'm doing) the Sightron is a little brighter. It tracks like an old train (mines 1/8 MOA). The Sightron for the money, is the better deal. Their customer serves is great too. I sent mine in (for a minor repair), they took care of it and had it back to me fairly quick. It's 10 years old now and still looks new. Finish has held up great and have had no real issues in 500 rounds of 7mm Rem Mag and countless 5.56. The Leopold is a great scope. Just a little on the pricy side. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten another Sightron and saved the extra money I spent on the Leopold.

This deal has expired, but they run the same one often. And if you wanted to buy one and call them, I bet they would honor it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top