Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2011 2:08:07 PM EDT
I've been researching low power scopes for a long time, but I still can't make a decision.
I would like a quality scope to last my lifetime and would appreciate hearing from those
who have used various scopes.

I want the scope for a recon type build.  I'm looking for utility.
I never shoot from the bench and I'll never compete in 3-gun, so I want an in-between type scope.

I like field/improvised shooting positions and will shoot from close-up, to 500 yds.

I'm most likely to use the scope at the range, and for low light deer and hog hunting.
I would like the reticle to have ranging capability.

I'm close to dropping the money on a z6i.
I would like to hear if people think there is something better for this price or less.
Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO the SWFA SS 1-4 HD is the most versatile of the Breed. Very high quality and decently priced. This thread gives some good information and photos.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=527840
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The z6i is an outstanding piece of glass.  If I had the budget for it, that's what I would buy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The z6i is an outstanding piece of glass.  If I had the budget for it, that's what I would buy.

The z6 would be hard to beat.  o/p, if your not shooting 3 gun look at the 1.5x scopes such as the US optic and others. I have a Nighforce,Trijicon and a US optic 1.5x6. I do like the 6 power

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IMO the SWFA SS 1-4 HD is the most versatile of the Breed. Very high quality and decently priced. This thread gives some good information and photos.

I have not seen one but Hokie likes it a lot and I respect his opinion. He has had more high end scopes than Opra has had hot meals.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

gamma762,
Thanks for your response.
IMO, people who talk about "glass" may know what is important.
People who talk about "features" of an optic may possibly be less experienced.
It seems that, today, any person can start a company and market Chinese glass.

The only exposure I've had to Swarovski is that I own a pair of 10x25 binoculars
Considering the relatively small objective lens, I am very much impressed.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
You will not be disappointed in the optical quality of the Swarovski.   The new reticule design is a big improvement over the old circle and dot too.

To top it off the 1x performance is excellent... it's about as close to a red dot as you can get in an optical scope.  Both eyes open works at close range, where it doesn't with a lot of the 1x-n variable scopes.  Usable both-eyes-open 1x really narrows the field when it comes to scopes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not seen one but Hokie likes it a lot and I respect his opinion. He has had more high end scopes than Opra has had hot meals.

Just a lot of lower middle class sweat equity and lost revenue!  But thank you for the comment.

The Swarovski is an incredible option and should be your first choice for the top tier of optical clarity.  It's nice.  Real f'in nice actually. Daylight visible too.  To take advantage of the graduated reticle you'd want the BRT.  The scope's $2300, which makes it somewhat of a luxury item.  But yes, the Swarovski is absolutely incredible.  I'm a fan of the SS based exclusively on it's benefits to cost ratio over other options in the low, mid, and high tiers of 1-X variables.

I don't mean to sway, just paying forward a lot of good knowledge I've extracted and extrapolated from AR15.com, Snipershide, and Opticstalk forums over the years.  Nothing beats personal experience though, so stay objective as you try out different options.  Entertainment aside, this site is great largely in part to the collaborative input on technical subjects.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been researching low power scopes for a long time, but I still can't make a decision.
I would like a quality scope to last my lifetime and would appreciate hearing from those

I never shoot from the bench and I'll never compete in 3-gun, so I want an in-between type scope.

I like field/improvised shooting positions and will shoot from close-up, to 500 yds.

I'm most likely to use the scope at the range, and for low light deer and hog hunting.

I would like to hear if people think there is something better for this price or less.
Thanks.

Are you leo? Swavorski has a very good discount for Leo and Mil. but you have to fax a copy of your ID.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#9]
No, not LEO, and no longer MIL.

I have friends who are active duty, so maybe I can work from that angle.

Are you saying that Swaro dealers will all offer LEO/MIL discounts?
Or, does one have to order directly from Swarovski?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, not LEO, and no longer MIL.

I have friends who are active duty, so maybe I can work from that angle.

Are you saying that Swaro dealers will all offer LEO/MIL discounts?
Or, does one have to order directly from Swarovski?

Thanks.

You go through Swarovski USA. A buddy of mine is LE and he ordered the 1x6sei for a VERY,VERY good discount. IIRC you can only order one every x number of years. It would sure be worth a phone call. It is a fantastic scope but out of my price range.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want a little more than the 6x of the Swarovski and willing to spend around $500 more, Premier Reticles has a 1.1-8x24 which is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
How do weights compare?

IIRC the SWFA SS 1 - 4 x is around 16 oz ... how heavy is the Swaro?

And exactly WHICH Swaro reticle is the one to get?

Hermann
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you want a little more than the 6x of the Swarovski and willing to spend around $500 more, Premier Reticles has a 1.1-8x24 which is pretty nice.

Hey AZ3GUNNER,
I think you are just f'ing with me with that PR thing.
The Swaro will put a hurting on my wallet, I would have to pull and sell my gold tooth to get the PR.

Lucky for me, the PR has not been released yet.
Although, I must say that the dual focal plane  reticle and dot does look interesting.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How do weights compare?

IIRC the SWFA SS 1 - 4 x is around 16 oz ... how heavy is the Swaro?

And exactly WHICH Swaro reticle is the one to get?

Hermann

I'm looking at the BRT reticle.
Z6i

technical data

I have a (probably unfair) bias against the SS scopes.
I used to shoot 50 BMG several years ago, and the 50 cal recoil would destroy SS scopes.
I'm not saying that the occasional SS scope would fail, every SS scope on a 50 BMG failed
at a low round count.

SS has probably changed the construction of their scopes in the last several years.
Also, the 50 BMG has a horrible recoil with both forward and reverse impulses due to the
muzzle brake.  If a scope isn't designed for this, the reticle can come loose.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#15]
FYI, I sent an email to Swaro USA last Thursday asking about military discounts.
Here is the reply I received today.

Hello

Thank you for your request at Swarovski Optik.  We do offer a military discount.  Please email on government letterhead a request for which product you are interested in and what the product will be used for.

SWAROVSKI OPTIK NORTH AMERICA LTD
Michael Sequeira
2 Slater Road
Cranston, RI 02920
tel. 800-426-3089 x 2955
Fax. 877-287-8517
[email protected]
WWW.SWAROVSKIOPTIK.COM
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I just installed a Trijicon AccuPoint TR24 w/LaRue LT104 mount on a Sig556. I was looking for durability, bright glass, a simple BAC-enabled reticle, and forgiving eye relief due to the odd configuration of the Sig. For these reasons I think I made the right choice. That said, I'm looking for a second 1-4x optic for my other 556, and based on Hokie's endorsement (and the endorsement of others whom I trust), my next one is going to be the SWFA SS 1-4 HD, probably with the same LT104 mount.

The selection of an optic is a very personal, very individual decision. What works well for me may not mean squat to the next guy. For this reason I've never made an optic selection sight-unseen. There are only a select few people in this community whom I trust enough to spend my money for me on a medium to large ticket item based entirely on their word. Unfortunately (for my checkbook, that is) Hokie happens to be one of them There were a couple of others in his review thread with whom I have the same level of trust-and they know who they are.

I'm greatly looking forward to comparing the two optics side-by-side in the near future.

Good luck EightRing!
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+1

You can spend a lot more, but for the $$ the SWFA SS 1-4 is an extremely tough act to follow. It's a nice combination of excellent build quality and superb design at a price that isn't stupid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey AZ3GUNNER,
I think you are just f'ing with me with that PR thing.
The Swaro will put a hurting on my wallet, I would have to pull and sell my gold tooth to get the PR.

Lucky for me, the PR has not been released yet.
Although, I must say that the dual focal plane  reticle and dot does look interesting.

I just wanted to put you in the same boat I'm in.

BTW, I'm going with the Swaro.  I wish I had an additional $500 to spend but I'm already going over my limit.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone know if the swaro 1-6 needs a SPR type mount?
or will a less offset mount do?  The z6 is sort of long, over 11.5 inches.

Also, does anyone know if I can fit a Troy rear sight under a z6 using
a 1.5" high mount?

Thanks,
-Pat.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the swaro 1-6 needs a SPR type mount?
or will a less offset mount do?  The z6 is sort of long, over 11.5 inches.

Also, does anyone know if I can fit a Troy rear sight under a z6 using
a 1.5" high mount?

Thanks,
-Pat.

I just got my scope yesterday and had a chance to play around with it today.  It is an amazing scope.  I have a few decent scopes (IOR, Meopta, Leupold, Burris, ACOG) all around the 1k price range.  I noticed a bid difference when I looked through the Swaro but it is twice the price.

I put my nose a couple of inches behind the charging handle so I have it set up so the rear of the scope is lined up with the charging handle.  An offset mount is needed for this.  Without one, the eye piece will be a couple of inches behind the charging handle.  If you put your nose to the charging handle, you'll need the SPR-E.

A Troy will fit under the scope with a SPR mount and have a tad over 1/8" to spare.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks.

If you have the cash for the Z6i that'd be a great choice....

For a "tweener" scope there are a few 1.5-6X42 that I would consider....Meopta might be worth a look at

Check out ILya Koshkin's Optics Thoughts
2011 Shot Show

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just got my scope yesterday and had a chance to play around with it today.  It is an amazing scope.  I have a few decent scopes (IOR, Meopta, Leupold, Burris, ACOG) all around the 1k price range.  I noticed a bid difference when I looked through the Swaro but it is twice the price.

I put my nose a couple of inches behind the charging handle so I have it set up so the rear of the scope is lined up with the charging handle.  An offset mount is needed for this.  Without one, the eye piece will be a couple of inches behind the charging handle.  If you put your nose to the charging handle, you'll need the SPR-E.

A Troy will fit under the scope with a SPR mount and have a tad over 1/8" to spare.

Thanks for the info AZ3.  You have beat me to the swaro purchase.  I felt the sudden urge to pick up a few cases of IMI M855, now I need to
wait a month before I can give swaro optik some money.

Were you able to find a scope for less than $2300?

BTW, what is going on with your rifle?   Billet upper + z6i + light weight bolt carrier?
That is one fancy rig.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For a "tweener" scope there are a few 1.5-6X42 that I would consider....Meopta might be worth a look at

Check out ILya Koshkin's Optics Thoughts
2011 Shot Show

Thanks 9divdoc, interesting information.
I really did like those turrets on the Steiners.

I suppose I should feel lucky to have so many choices;
Leupold, Vortex, Night Force, Premiere Reticles, US Optics, S&B, Burris,
IOR, Meopta, Tasco/SS, Elcan, etc.

Existing scopes, soon to be released scopes, vaporware scopes...

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Short Dot.

Excellent scope with a nice 2 MOA that is actually round and daylight visible.

I have two of the 1-4s and am on the wait list for the 1-8.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Short Dot.

Excellent scope with a nice 2 MOA that is actually round and daylight visible.

I have two of the 1-4s and am on the wait list for the 1-8.

I really looked hard at the Short Dot.
As far as I could tell, there were to versions;
PMII had too big a dot,  ~5.5 MOA, or something like that.
LE Zenith had a smaller dot, ~2 MOA, but no ranging reticle.

I believe, the next step in scope evolution is the scope with
a dot in the 2FP, and an illuminated reticle in the FFP.
Several manufacturers are announcing scopes like this, I guess there are some real
technical challenges because I don't know of anyone who sells such a scope yet.
(maybe just Leupold?).
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Were you able to find a scope for less than $2300?

BTW, what is going on with your rifle?   Billet upper + z6i + light weight bolt carrier?
That is one fancy rig.

I got lucky and found a place by word of mouth that had one in stock and still had it listed at the price before the increase.  He stocked it before the increase and it was his last one.  I've been saving up for this scope for a while and when price went up last month when I was only $200 away, I was pissed.  I almost decided to wait and save up for the Premier Reticles or not upgrade my scope at all.

The rifle is my 3 gun rifle with a Sun Devil upper with a nickle teflon coating.  That thing is easy to clean and slick.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top