Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 7:31:15 AM EDT
Okay, I have two rifles. One is a Stag Arms upper/lower 16" Recce-ish type build on which I have an EOTech 553.A65 sight and G23.FTS magnifier. I absolutely love this combination!!! The second is an LMT upper/lower 10.5" Mk18-ish type build on which I have no optics except for the Daniel Defense BUIS combo. I think I am going to want to try and cut some weight on this build especially when I have the KAC QDSS-NT4 suppressor attached. I definitely want to go with an EOTech as this is MY optic of choice. I am just undecided as to go with another 553.A65 or go with the new EXPS3-0. I'm kinda liking the more compact size and subtle weight difference of the EXPS3-0. I was also thinking of going with SureFire's new Scout M300A vs M600C light this time around. Again with the more compact size and subtle weight difference. I do realize that both EXPS3-0 and M300A only take one battery vs two as in my 553.A65 and M600C which would lead to a shorter run time but do not think this is as much of a factor as the size & weight issue might come into play. What's your opinions and thoughts on this? Also, anyone have or use both EOTech models that could compare on build quality?

Thanks a bunch,
Brian
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both full-size and the newer combat Eos...the new ones are at least as good quality/performance-wise if not better.

The single battery in the (E)XPS still seems to last a long time; long enough that they get changed "just because".
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Okay, I have two rifles. One is a Stag Arms upper/lower 16" Recce-ish type build on which I have an EOTech 553.A65 sight and G23.FTS magnifier. I absolutely love this combination!!! The second is an LMT upper/lower 10.5" Mk18-ish type build on which I have no optics except for the Daniel Defense BUIS combo. I think I am going to want to try and cut some weight on this build especially when I have the KAC QDSS-NT4 suppressor attached. I definitely want to go with an EOTech as this is MY optic of choice. I am just undecided as to go with another 553.A65 or go with the new EXPS3-0. I'm kinda liking the more compact size and subtle weight difference of the EXPS3-0. I was also thinking of going with SureFire's new Scout M300A vs M600C light this time around. Again with the more compact size and subtle weight difference. I do realize that both EXPS3-0 and M300A only take one battery vs two as in my 553.A65 and M600C which would lead to a shorter run time but do not think this is as much of a factor as the size & weight issue might come into play. What's your opinions and thoughts on this? Also, anyone have or use both EOTech models that could compare on build quality?

Thanks a bunch,
Brian

Hi Brian,

I am in a similar situation as you, I have a Mk18 and trying to decide on optics for it.

Concerning the 553 vs EXPS3-0, have you looked at Eotech's specs?  The weight is basically the same within right at an ounce (553 12.3oz, EXPS 11.2oz) , the Battery life is almost double on the 553(1100 vs 600), the RTZ is 1MOA vs 2MOA, and the depth rating is also double on the 553 (66' vs 33').  So I really don't get all the hoopla over the newer styles, yes it is slightly shorter (3.5" vs 4.9"), BUT is is also wider (2.4" vs 1.8" for the 553).

You obviously like the 553 too, so I would say get another if you are 100% satisfied with the 553 you have now... if I get an Eotech that certainly will be my choice (not that that matters to anyone but me :-)  

Agree about M300 vs M600, I currently use M600 on my 14.5 and M300 on my 10.3".

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, I just noticed a new model (actually 3 or 4 new ones) on Eotech's site since my last visit.

This one caught my eye, EXPS3-4,  it has a ballistic matched reticle like the 557, but  specifically for the M4 Carbine (14.5 barrel), interesting....

"The EXPS3-4 is configured with a new ballistic matching reticle image for the M4 carbine. The battle tested circle/dot reticle will be offered along with a series of 1 MOA aiming dots that are vertically aligned and calibrated specifically for the ballistic drop of .223 caliber ammunition. The reticle provides 4 aiming dots for target distances of 0-300m, 400m, 500m, and 600m"

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The XPS versions are only 8 ounces...50% lighter than the 553 and EXPS.

Things I like about the XPS/EXPS ––
1) I change the batteries out more than they need it, so it's nice to throw one in the used-battery bag every 6 months instead of two.
2) I like the lightweight and short-size of the XPS/EXPS,

BUT I do like the thinness of the 553...I think they're about a tie in my book––I don't see many situations where one has a distinct advantage over the other.  

I got my XPS for a great deal, so that's why I got it versus an EXPS or 553.  
As much as I like my TAC30, I do wonder if the Eotech will end up sold (I'm just having a hard time giving up that nice view through it without my head having to be in a certain position).
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The XPS versions are only 8 ounces...50% lighter than the 553 and EXPS.

Things I like about the XPS/EXPS ––
1) I change the batteries out more than they need it, so it's nice to throw one in the used-battery bag every 6 months instead of two.
2) I like the lightweight and short-size of the XPS/EXPS,

BUT I do like the thinness of the 553...I think they're about a tie in my book––I don't see many situations where one has a distinct advantage over the other.  

I got my XPS for a great deal, so that's why I got it versus an EXPS or 553.  
As much as I like my TAC30, I do wonder if the Eotech will end up sold (I'm just having a hard time giving up that nice view through it without my head having to be in a certain position).

Just an FYI, once (or if) you add a QD or Riser mount for lower 1/3 cowitness on the XPS versions (like the EXPS has standard) the weight becomes basically the same as the EXPS and 553.  

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top