Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#3]
yes
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't, but then it is a BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's the difference between going into battle with the MBUS vs. nothing, I'll take the MBUS. But if I had other options, I would pursue them first.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it's the difference between going into battle with the MBUS vs. nothing, I'll take the MBUS. But if I had other options, I would pursue them first.

What he said, The plastic just will not hold up for anything except range use... and then it is iffy. I threw 2 of the rear sights in the trash when they broke.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine have been.  Been going strong for almost two years.  I also have them on the rifle I use for teaching and have had zero problems.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
no

Bill
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
"Battle"?

I think if you are going into "battle" you have allready been provided with something thats quality or you could at least afford something better......
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have them on my 22LR battle rifles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#12]
MUCH love for Magpul products, in fact I'm going to go buy another ACS (maybe CTR) stock and more Pmags in an hour or so. However, if you can't aim your rifle is crap. I will only ever trust quality metal sights on my rifles.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to get naked and roll around in my giant pile of Pmags!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#13]
NOPE.....I do love me some p-mags though
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Please help me understand this - you guys trust Pmags, MOE and whatever else that Magpul produces, but not the MBUS?  Why?  They are made of the same stuff, are they not?  If Pmags supposedly survived being rolled over by a 15+ tonnes truck, why would an MBUS break like a twig?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#15]
It worked for the Marines in LA
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#16]
If I kill a Pmag, I grab another. I don't run backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup sights.

I not that the mbus is necessarily going to snap like a twig, but metal > plastic always.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Please help me understand this - you guys trust Pmags, MOE and whatever else that Magpul produces, but not the MBUS?  Why?  They are made of the same stuff, are they not?  If Pmags supposedly survived being rolled over by a 15+ tonnes truck, why would an MBUS break like a twig?

apples and oranges... the stocks and mags are big and blocky and have mass...

the BUIS is small with smaller parts and small frames and would not take a drop on the deck or a hard thrust against a steel door frame.

Somethings you can do in plastic...others are  meant for steel...

NATEC plastic cased ammo comes to mind....

I still love Magpul....
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I trust their shit.

My current build pile.

I feel like a fan boy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#19]
i wouldnt trust them for a battle sight, there just seems like too much could break on them if you dropped ur rifle on them or hit them too hard, imo metal sights are the way to go for a "battle" sight
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are using the rear MBUS behind an Aimpoint product, the odds of it going down are slim to none, and then if that happened all that would be expected of the MBUS is that it survived whatever exposure to elements and abuse preceeded the Aimpoint failure.

I love my Troy battle sights and I consider them the gold standard in back-up-iron-sights, but I'm sure the Magpul MBUS would get the job done too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe this calls for a torture test!!  hint hint..
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't look at me, I already broke a rifle for teh SPOT.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When my MBUS II gets here I'll give it to my nephew to take to Afghanistan

He's a Marine and is highly trained in breaking shit

-come to think of it he was pretty good at breaking shit before he became a professional
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#24]
While I've not been in battle, I did have the gen 1 MBUS and I found them to be durable.  I'm of the opinion that they would probably do just fine in "battle".  Let me offer up this theory...

Mapul doesn't use kid toy plastics.  They use (at the risk of sounding like a tool) highly engineered polymers that aren't brittle and don't break easily.  That said, you'd more likely bend, scuff, mar, etc the sight before it broke.  So, you'd really have to be trying to break the sights...  like, dropping the rifle from a multistory building onto concrete...  even then, it'd probably be fine.  Now, with metal, it bends.  Highly durable, yes, but more likely to bent than break and, since it isn't elastic like polymer, won't go back to it's original shape.  So, in theory, polymer backup sights aren't bad and just because they aren't metal doesn't mean they aren't battle ready.

Now, all that said, I had the gen one MBUS and didn't like them because of the bulk.  The gen 2's have less bulk, but they still have more material to them than similar metal versions.

I wonder if Magpul will ever make the MBUS front sight with the HK style round hood?  Maybe they could get away with less material surrounding the sight post if it was a full hood?  Who knows.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i wouldnt trust them for a battle sight, there just seems like too much could break on them if you dropped ur rifle on them or hit them too hard, imo metal sights are the way to go for a "battle" sight

Agree, now if the OP had asked the question are the MBUS great quality, worth the money, great for normal civilian use, etc, I would say sure.  

But Batttle Worthy, and knowing if I ever need to flip them up with my life or my team member's life's on the line?  I have to defer to what is currently issued as the Military Standard and anything "Battle Worthy" would have to be at least as good or better in design and durabilty....and if we start to compare MBUS sights to KAC sights....well, nevermind :-)

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Military Standard or issue doesn't always mean best. I guarantee everything can and will break.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said, The plastic just will not hold up for anything except range use... and then it is iffy. I threw 2 of the rear sights in the trash when they broke.

I would be interested in the specific details on that.  
Photos?  
So you're saying you had about $100 of gear that you threw away?
Did you contact Magpul?

I find it odd that you had two that broke.  This is not consistent with what I have seen on my weapons or other folks that I work with.  I run one T&E gun with an MBUS rear that had the pivot pin start drifting out under recoil, but it did not break.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree, now if the OP had asked the question are the MBUS great quality, worth the money, great for normal civilian use, etc, I would say sure.  

But Batttle Worthy, and knowing if I ever need to flip them up with my life or my team member's life's on the line?  I have to defer to what is currently issued as the Military Standard and anything "Battle Worthy" would have to be at least as good or better in design and durabilty....and if we start to compare MBUS sights to KAC sights....well, nevermind :-)

From what I understand, the Matech BUIS aren't exactly loved
The comments about them on here over the years have ranged, with the bullet points being:
-good for a BUIS that's left folded down and never used
-will wear out with lots of use (because of how they're designed, not* due to issues with quality of manufacture)
-there are boxes of these things busted.

Military uses it =/= it's the best
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#29]
A guy broke one in half a couple weeks ago on here by dropping his rifle with the rear one up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#30]
MAGPUL makes great stuff, but he MBUS sights are NOT one of them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand, the Matech BUIS aren't exactly loved
The comments about them on here over the years have ranged, with the bullet points being:
-good for a BUIS that's left folded down and never used
-will wear out with lots of use (because of how they're designed, not* due to issues with quality of manufacture)
-there are boxes of these things busted.

Military uses it =/= it's the best

True, I don't like those either.  BUT, the single biggest complaint about the Matechs is the "aperture flip up" not locking down... could be a lot worse and it would still be usable as a BUIS :-)

OH, and since those come standard on Colts, they have to be the best, right?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I am saying no, but I have never tried them.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top