Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 3:49:42 PM EDT
He everyone, im going to apologize for being a noob in advance, I've never put a red dot on a weapon before.  I have a colt LE 6920 with a removable carry handel.  I recently was given for christmas a Nikon Monarch VSD red dot sight that mounts directly to a pic rail.  (not a bad little sight).  anyway when I put it on the reciever, out of the box, the dot of the red dot is displaying in the middle of the fron sight post.  If I crank the elevation up to its maximum setting, the dot barly makes it to the top of the front sight.  So my question is, do I have to get a spacer for this sight, or is it ok to have it adjusted in this way, but have no more adjustment in one direction for elevation?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
With the weapon unloaded and safe, and the sight on, get a good cheek weld on the stock

With both eyes open,  aim at something "downrange" with the red dot.  The front sight post should not be in focus

The only time the red dot and the front sight would be in focus together is if you were sighting through a rear sight.  Since you removed the carry handle, you removed the rear sight (unless you have also installed a BUIS,  that you did not mention)

You should sight in the weapon with the iron sights first and get some familiarity with it and then sight in the red dot

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The iron sights are sighted in and have been for a while so thats a non issue.  I assume I will be needing a riser then?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you removed the carry handle from the receiver ?

Have you added a BUIS ?

As I said before, without a rear sight you cannot reference the front sight and any relationship between the dot and the front sight is meaningless

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you Zukhov, thats what I was looking for.  I'll be getting a riser this afternoon.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top