Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2011 6:16:12 AM EDT
Ok, so I threw a PA 1-4x scope on my BCM middy to see if I liked the idea of a scope on my AR before taking the plunge on a higher end optic.  My question is about the TR24.  Red and green triangle models seem to be harder to acquire.  The amber triangle I can find at a decent price.  My question is for anyone with the amber triangle......

Is there any washout with the amber triangle?
How well does it contrast with different backgrounds?
Is the triangle the only way to utilize the BAC or is it possible with the German Crosshair and dot?

I am looking at this scope for my range and SHTF AR.  I currently have a TROY DOA BUIS and a Burris FF on an offset mount.  Will the Burris even be necessary with the Triji?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If I understand it correctly the bigger glowing triangle reticle is the supporting feature of the BAC.  Sure...you can shoot with both eyes open with the german crosshairs...but it will be much easier with the triangle.

For range work, I found the scope easy to use up to 300 yards.  i haven't tried further.  zeroed at 200 and i aim for the neck at 300.

For SHTF...sure, stick the burris FF on it.  I want a FF for when i am at 4X and all the sudden have to shoot at something in my face.
FF will also benefit for whe you have to shoot in an odd body position.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Once you start shooting the TR24, you won't need the FF with both eyes open. It will take you longer to transition to your FF than take the shot at 1X on the TR24.
Note that the TR24 reticule has an issue with shooting from dark conditions into light. The ACOG has the same issue so a dedicated RDS can fill that gap.
As far as color preferences, it's your choice.  The reticule on a brightly lit day will not wash out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Note that the TR24 reticule has an issue with shooting from dark conditions into light. The reticule on a brightly lit day will not wash out.

during a match that involves shooting from inside a bus to a target 200 yards away...i close the fiber optic receptor, which produces a black triangle; which i feel allows me to see the tip more precisely.  on a normal sunshine lit day...I find the reticle too bright with the fiber optic receptor wide open.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the replies.  The more I find out about this scope, the more I want one.  At 4x is the BAC even a possibility?

I am looking at Primary Arms for the purchase, I know Marsh is GTG.  Any other places I should look?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Is the triangle the only way to utilize the BAC or is it possible with the German Crosshair and dot?

The whole point of a 1x-4x variable is so you don't have to resort to less ideal sighting systems like BAC at close range.

FWIW, I prefer the amber German cross hair. More precise at long ranges and the dot is the same size as my Aimpoints at 1x.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you for the replies.  The more I find out about this scope, the more I want one.  At 4x is the BAC even a possibility?
I am looking at Primary Arms for the purchase, I know Marsh is GTG.  Any other places I should look?

i love my TR24G.  with some practice...i am getting better at 4x with both eyes open.

primary arms has a great price on it.  i got mine from:
http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/

i have delt with marshall and the guy that runs red-dot-scopes; they will continue to have my business and i will refer people to them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i love my TR24G.  with some practice...i am getting better at 4x with both eyes open.

primary arms has a great price on it.  i got mine from:
http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/

i have delt with marshall and the guy that runs red-dot-scopes; they will continue to have my business and i will refer people to them.

Thanks...thats what I wanted to hear.  Usually I am torn between different manufacturers, this time I'm just confused about which version...lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Try Liberty Optics. I picked mine up for $669. About a $100 less than any one else I could find. Liberty is great to deal with. Plus free shipping.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an amber triangle TR24 that I absolutely love.  It is by far, my favorite optic for a .223 defensive or general carbine.  It is fast on 1x and precise enough on 4x.  The illumination is great.  It is almost too bright on the range, so I actually turn the shade cover to dim it.  Even if it does wash out, the big black triangle is still there, so you don't loose the reticle.  There is a point where the illumination is not completely washed out where it doesn't jump out at you as normal.  Although the big black post below it keeps it from ever getting lost.  The only downside to the triangle reticle is if you regularly shoot past 350 yards, but that is not what this scope is designed for.  While you can get center of mass hits past 35-, it gets harder than if you went with a mil-dot reticle.  But again, for a 0-300 yard defensive .223 carbine, it is extremely hard to beat for the money.  

I also have a Meopta K-dot, Burris XTR and Weaver 1.5-4.5x Extreme Classic to compare it to.  None of those optics are bad, it is just that the Accupoint really does exactly what I need.  It is a really nice problem to have.

Everybody who tries the green reticles seem to love them.  I have not tried one on the range.  It did stick out pretty good when I tried them at the Trijicon booth (SAR Show).  I got my TR24 amber at a smoking price, so I am extremely happy with it.  But I definitely wouldn't shy away from a red or green reticle.  But, having run red and amber Accupoints (and ACOGs), it doesn't make a huge difference to me in practice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have an amber triangle TR24 that I absolutely love.  It is by far, my favorite optic for a .223 defensive or general carbine.  It is fast on 1x and precise enough on 4x.  The illumination is great.  It is almost too bright on the range, so I actually turn the shade cover to dim it.  Even if it does wash out, the big black triangle is still there, so you don't loose the reticle.  There is a point where the illumination is not completely washed out where it doesn't jump out at you as normal.  Although the big black post below it keeps it from ever getting lost.  The only downside to the triangle reticle is if you regularly shoot past 350 yards, but that is not what this scope is designed for.  While you can get center of mass hits past 35-, it gets harder than if you went with a mil-dot reticle.  But again, for a 0-300 yard defensive .223 carbine, it is extremely hard to beat for the money.  

I also have a Meopta K-dot, Burris XTR and Weaver 1.5-4.5x Extreme Classic to compare it to.  None of those optics are bad, it is just that the Accupoint really does exactly what I need.  It is a really nice problem to have.

Everybody who tries the green reticles seem to love them.  I have not tried one on the range.  It did stick out pretty good when I tried them at the Trijicon booth (SAR Show).  I got my TR24 amber at a smoking price, so I am extremely happy with it.  But I definitely wouldn't shy away from a red or green reticle.  But, having run red and amber Accupoints (and ACOGs), it doesn't make a huge difference to me in practice.

Excellent info, thank you.  I considered the Burris XTR, but I kept being drawn to the TR24....not needing a battery was a big selling point.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 4. Three are the green triangle, 1 is the red triangle. Love'em. I prefer the red triangle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I prefer the RED or GREEN myself.

Mike @ CST

At the time I first posted this PA only had the amber in stock.....now that he has all three, I am thoroughly confused.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#15]
BAC is best utilized on a moving target and for quick target aquisition, if you are going to be training with the optic while bench shooting and while stationary get the german crosshair. When the SHTF you will resort to how you practiced. BAC is awesome if utilized as intended and you practice with it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Picking a scope is always tough.  We sell a lot of TR-24s and no one ever regrets it. We have all three colors in stock (that is pretty unusual) at a better price than was mentioned in this thread.

Thanks
Marshall

Arrrrgh.....I just sold my Burris FF to help fund my TR24 purchase....just about to pull the trigger on the TR24 purchase and just my luck your price for the TR24 just went up!

Just call me Day Late and a Dollar Short Dave

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:43:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Picking a scope is always tough.  We sell a lot of TR-24s and no one ever regrets it. We have all three colors in stock (that is pretty unusual) at a better price than was mentioned in this thread.

Thanks
Marshall

Arrrrgh.....I just sold my Burris FF to help fund my TR24 purchase....just about to pull the trigger on the TR24 purchase and just my luck your price for the TR24 just went up!

We just started doing a mount bundle. Look at the drop down menus for the no mount price or shoot me a email. I will take good care of you.

Marshall

Geez, I am an idiot.  I will however blame my inability to use your webpage on the fact that my fiance woke me at 6am on my day off because she was incapable of pulling out of a parking spot with about 2 snowflakes under her tire.  

As usual, Marsh and Primary Arms saves the day!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I just pulled the trigger on the TR24 Red Triangle from Primary Arms.  Thanks again Marsh.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Marshall

We just started doing a mount bundle. Look at the drop down menus for the no mount price or shoot me a email. I will take good care of you.

Marshall

Geez, I am an idiot.  I will however blame my inability to use your webpage on the fact that my fiance woke me at 6am on my day off because she was incapable of pulling out of a parking spot with about 2 snowflakes under her tire.  

As usual, Marsh and Primary Arms saves the day!

Ha my wifes the same way!

I have a 24g triangle recticle. Does red dot duty as well as acog duty however with the larue mount it comes in at 1.4lbs ot the bathroom scale.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 5:09:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Primary Arms does it again.  Unbeleivable how fast it was shipped!  Ordered the TR24 on Jan 31st and had it in my hands on Feb 2nd!

The TR24 is amazing and getting it shipped to my door for less than $665 is even better!!!!

I have an astigmatism (I wear contacts) and was concerned the triangle would not appear sharp...no worries at all...it is bright and crisp.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Primary Arms does it again.  Unbeleivable how fast it was shipped!  Ordered the TR24 on Jan 31st and had it in my hands on Feb 2nd!

The TR24 is amazing and getting it shipped to my door for less than $665 is even better!!!!

I have an astigmatism (I wear contacts) and was concerned the triangle would not appear sharp...no worries at all...it is bright and crisp.

great scope choice.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I require........Pics!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I require........Pics!!!

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Flasbang, what kind of scope mount ya got there
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Flasbang, what kind of scope mount ya got there

A Larue QD riser (LT-101) with Burris medium height rings.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Great pics up there.  The TR24 is a fine scope!  PA took care of me too when I ordered one some time ago!
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#30]
It seems like the optic sits up pretty high.  Do you have any issues with check weld?
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It seems like the optic sits up pretty high.  Do you have any issues with check weld?

It's higher than I would like, but it was what I had on hand at the time.  Once funds allow, I want to pick up the Larue LT-104 mount with the built in rings.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Just want to update.  Headed out to the range yesterday and I have to say that the TR24 is simply awesome.  The guy next to me looked over and commented that I was blasting through rounds rather fast.  The follow up shots seemed faster with the TR24 than any other scope I have owned.

I was shooting American Eagle XM193 from a BCM mid-length upper at 100 yards with a harris bipod..it was a bit windy but I was happy with the results overall.  Below is the first string of rounds before I even dailed in the scope:

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#33]
That is some great shooting with the triangle and factory ammo. I couldn't focus that clearly on where the triangle tip actually pointed so had a hard time shooting for groups. But, even with all its weaknesses, I think the TR24 is the best general-purpose scope out there.  Wish they would have done the donut reticule ACOG BDC though :)
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#34]
How does the bullet drop work on those? Do the lines gradually get closer together the further down it goes? If so, what do you compare that with? Head? Torso?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#35]
The TR24 does not have a BDC.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top