Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2011 5:24:25 AM EDT
I need to decide between these two scopes.  Whichever one I get will be used on a rifle in conjunction with an offset mini red dot for 3 gun (open division)

Vortex: http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11226.aspx

Nikon: http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=594&categoryId=157
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Might also want to consider Leupold's new VX-R series

this from Shot Show 2011 Liberty Optics' Scott Berish's blog

"Leupold Hunting: Guys, what I saw in the new VX-R series was pretty darn impressive. Very good looking and crisp glass, 30mm tubes throughout, "FireDot" motion sensing illumination, price around $400-$500 for most models. 2-7x, 3-9x, and 4-12x models. Lupy was out of catalogs but I believe it is daytime visible and digital illumination with various settings...very nice scopes for the money and a great move by Lupy, IMO."
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh Leupold and their 30mm tubes....still using 1" technology in 30mm tubes.

By that I mean still only a 3x zoom range.

Look at Nikon with their 1" tubes and 4x zooms.

Most (read I can't think of one who doesn't) scope makers with a 30mm tube offer at least a 4x zoom range.
The whole point of the larger tube is to allow more room for increased zoom, additional elevation/windage and some what stronger tube.

BTW, a 30mm tube does not offer greater light transmission, that is the job of the glass and it's coatings.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Nikon on a carbine I use for coyote hunting. Its good glass typical of Nikon, but if I did it again I would buy the standard reticle not the bdc. Can't speak for the Vortex.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#4]
double tap
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oh Leupold and their 30mm tubes....still using 1" technology in 30mm tubes.

By that I mean still only a 3x zoom range.

Look at Nikon with their 1" tubes and 4x zooms.

Most (read I can't think of one who doesn't) scope makers with a 30mm tube offer at least a 4x zoom range.
The whole point of the larger tube is to allow more room for increased zoom, additional elevation/windage and some what stronger tube.

BTW, a 30mm tube does not offer greater light transmission, that is the job of the glass and it's coatings.

Bill

And you're right...but the illuminated dot reticle choice on the new Leupy might be worth it...& they even offer a 1.1-4 in it...

On the other hand if you are looking for a super deal those Vortex 2-7's are it....

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Nikon M-223 gets no love from me. I hate their gimmicky dials and their bdc, all calibrated for 52gr plastic tipped ammo which everyone uses... If I ain't gonna use a reticle that isn't calibrated for my ammo, I'd rather just use a mil dot or similar reticle.

With the price of the Vortex now, I'm ordering one.

The VX-R looks great, but when will they be out, and why can't I find a reticle pic. Btw, their illumination setup for these is different (read-cheap). It is just one center dot that is lit fiberoptically, not the paint on coating that reflects light from the whole reticle. Though they claim it will be very daylight visable. It doesn't matter to me anyway, in the wee hours if I needed the lit dot I would just dial instead of holding over. This one looks good, but I wanna see the turrets first, and it is twice the price as the others (or 4 times the viper that is half off at SWFA).
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nikon M-223 gets no love from me. I hate their gimmicky dials and their bdc, all calibrated for 52gr plastic tipped ammo which everyone uses... If I ain't gonna use a reticle that isn't calibrated for my ammo, I'd rather just use a mil dot or similar reticle.

The VX-R looks great, but when will they be out, and why can't I find a reticle pic. Btw, their illumination setup for these is different (read-cheap). It is just one center dot that is lit fiberoptically, not the paint on coating that reflects light from the whole reticle. Though they claim it will be very daylight visable. It doesn't matter to me anyway, in the wee hours if I needed the lit dot I would just dial instead of holding over. This one looks good, but I wanna see the turrets first, and it is twice the price as the others (or 4 times the viper that is half off at SWFA).

SWFA Leupold Firedot

Firedot Video from Outdoor Life

Ya gotta get past a commercial and then you only get to see one reticle but at least you get to see how it works and the illuminated dot......

I'm interested in the "Pig Plex" reticle for my 6.8

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The VX-R scopes are available right now from Miday.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm mostly curious about their bdc though. I'm guessing they don't have a finalized version yet. They can copy the reticle in the Leatherwood CMR, and that would be fine with me.

Go Packers!
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I get the same feeling.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#11]
vortex....hands down
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
vortex....hands down

Ditto.  I have the 2-7 Viper on my Marlin 336.  Fantastic little scope and a real bargain on clearance.

Leupold...well their Redfield scopes are worth what you pay.  Can't say that for any of the other lines that I've seen.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top