Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2010 4:51:01 AM EDT
I was doing some research on the ACOGs and noticed that the "day reticle" colors for models that have a fiber optic (e.g., TA33R-8) are the same as the tritium color.

What happens if you block the fiber optic and you're outside in broad daylight? What is your sight picture? Is there a black etched chevron or will I not see anything?

I have really bad experiences with fiber optic / tritium optics like the MC-10-80 that came with my FN PS90. I ran into scenarios where the daylight wasn't enough to cause the daylight reticle to illuminate, and it was too bright for my eyes to pick up the tritium.

If anyone has an ACOG with the fiber optic collector, would you be able to cover up that collector and take a picture of the reticle in daylight conditions or describe what you see?

FWIW I called up Trijicon and they couldn't give me a definite answer (although they were very polite).

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
It gets a lot darker.  Almost black.  There is still tritium in there so you may still see a little color.  I can't remember, its been a while since I covered mine up.

ETA: You can still see the reticle very well, though.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Does it show up black like an etched reticle?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes it does.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does it show up black like an etched reticle?

Not "like" an etched reticle.  It IS an etched reticle.

You should have no worries. I often have my acog covered when trying to shoot small groups.  It gets super bright for me most the times.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks for the quick answers!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top