[#2]
awesome ! thanks––

good dimensions on that circle / dot

the eotech with a 65 moa circle is

9 moa inside frames a head nicely.

they are about $500
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#3]
What sort of cowitness does the mount provide and how susceptible is the M21 to reticle washout? Thx!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#4]
what are the mounting options?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.

Couple questions:
- weight with ar15 mount?
- any sensitivity to water / waterproof?
- can you provide pics of mount and pics of actual reticle?
- what is housing made of?  How tough are they?
- price?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#7]
What is the height of the reticule above the rail?

I have a desired application where the backup sights are much closer to the rail than on an AR.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the quick reply, no wonder you people have so much of my money already.

I am looking for something better than an EOTech for a FS2000 carbine, and a Beretta CX4 Storm carbine. For some reason, they seem to have the same, or at least very, very close, line-of-sight over rail measurements. My eyeball guesses this to be something like 15mm or 5/8" which is quite low, but higher than AK-type or M14-type sights.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a used one at Dallas gunshow last spring for one of my IDF clones.  It's pretty nice.  Have not had a chance to use it much yet.

It has the triangle recticle.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the quick & informative replies! A couple of final questions, are there other mount options besides the QD and if I understand correctly, the QD mount provides a 1/3 cowitness? Thx again!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the quick & informative replies! A couple of final questions, are there other mount options besides the QD and if I understand correctly, the QD mount provides a 1/3 cowitness? Thx again!...
Tomac

me too ––I want to know All mounting options.

this needs more reticle pics

that triangle looks very well defined!
-and bright!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, someone give me the final nudge:
Give me reasons why I should give up my Aimpoint H1's for the Meprolight M21?
Also, any downsides to the "X" reticle?
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Do these work with any type of magnifier?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
meprolight does have a magnifier for the m21 - called mx3.

i looked at the x  reticle  [online  only]––it seemed faint because the lines are thin.

VIDEO

personalsecurityzone.com

triangle or bullseye for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Okay, someone give me the final nudge:
Give me reasons why I should give up my Aimpoint H1's for the Meprolight M21?
Also, any downsides to the "X" reticle?
Tomac

coronal mass ejection followed by zombie apocolypse,

all your electronics belong to the paperweight family.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Could you double check the subtensions of the ring and dot reticle, the listed dimensions have to be off.  If the inside diameter of the ring is 9 MOA and the outside diameter is 15 MOA, there is no way the dot can be 4.5 MOA.  In both the diagram and the actual recicle pics the dot is smaller in diameter than the thickness of the ring and the thickness of the ring should be 3 MOA.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay, I'll be the guinea pig. Just sold my H1's and ordered 2 M21's from Cal's, they should be here next week. I'll test them side-by-side w/the Trijicon RX30 on my son's rifle, comparing speed of use and brightness in varying light conditions.
Yeah, I'd love to just keep adding rifles & optics to my collection but my play dough is limited until the wife's fully recovered from her recent illness.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Okay, I'll be the guinea pig. Just sold my H1's and ordered 2 M21's from Cal's, they should be here next week. I'll test them side-by-side w/the Trijicon RX30 on my son's rifle, comparing speed of use and brightness in varying light conditions.
Yeah, I'd love to just keep adding rifles & optics to my collection but my play dough is limited until the wife's fully recovered from her recent illness.
Tomac

You are my hero.  

I have been wrestling with RX30 vs RMR (fiber) for like 2 weeks ... and now this.  I really appreciated your insight in my posts about the two trijicon items.

Please post a review with pictures, if you don't mind!

ETA:  Also thinking about EOTech.  Aimpoints look like commas to me :
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#26]
!!! tomac you beat me to it!!! Arghhhhhh!

The mepro looked good at shot show this year when I spent a fair bit of time comparing the choices, these units are solid.  Bulls-eye , hmmmm.

Any chance of a t&e ? I will give the crowd on honest head to head with my rx30...? Showdown?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear of your wife's illness. We all wish we had unlimited funds, but family is always first (and worth it).

Can't wait to get your feedback on the M21s - I think you'll like them. Which reticles did you get?

Thx, she's finally recovering but it's been a long, hard road for her.
I'll post my comparison as soon as I can and although I was intrigued w/the X-reticle (I can see how it could be advantageous) I went w/the bullseye for max visibility in poor lighting conditions.
Tomac

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You are my hero.  
I have been wrestling with RX30 vs RMR (fiber) for like 2 weeks ... and now this.  I really appreciated your insight in my posts about the two trijicon items.

Shucks, ma'am, tweren't nothin'...
I'll post pics if I can (including reticle pics if I can swing it).
Tomac

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

You are my hero.  

you can have my eotech 552- pm me  and contribute to my M21 fund

buttons belong on shirts and pants ––NOT  optics
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Another advantage w/a bullseye-style reticle is very close-in shots where POA/POI don't yet coincide. Just use the bottom of the circle as your aiming point (this worked great w/the Eotech's circle-dot reticle during my carbine classes). I'll test this and w/a 50yd zero determine at what range the bottom of the circle coincides w/POI.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Should the reticle subtensions be the same for the MOR?
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Looks really good for a self-defense carbine.

I am hoping you will post a lot more reticle pics, particularly in varied lighting conditions. Everything looks good on the square range at high noon in Arizona. What counts, I think, is how it works at night with a weaponlight on the target, and around dusk/dawn. It would be really slick if you set up a Tactical Ted out in the eastern hardwoods and got some reticle shots in the "dappled" light often found in the forest. I don't expect a whole lot of zombies or commies attacking in broad daylight on a weekend.

Also, I hope you develop an AR mounting solution with absolute co-witness. I have a hard enough time shooting well with one cheek weld!
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's my "first impressions" comparison of the Meprolight M21, Trijicon RX30 & Trijicon RMR. All 3 use fiber optics & tritium for reticle illumination but have different sizes, weights, FOV's & reticle/dot sizes.

Trijicon RMR pros:
Light, small, more resistant to reticle washout than either the M21 or RX30.
Trijicon RMR cons:
Small FOV through the optic makes cheekweld much more critical than w/the M21 or RX30, largest dot (7moa) of the 3 makes precision shots more difficult, dot *really* blazes & blooms in bright daylight.

Trijicon RX30 pros:
Huge FOV through the 42mm objective makes for very fast shots & more forgiving cheekweld, slightly smaller dot (6.5moa, the RX34 has a 4.5mao dot) than the RMR allows for slightly greater precision.
Trijicon RX30 cons:
Like the RMR, the dot really blazes/blooms in bright daylight, 6.5moa dot isn't much of an improvement over the RMR's 7moa dot w/regards to precision shooting.

Meprolight M21 pros:
30mm objective is faster & more forgiving of sloppy cheekweld than the RMR but perhaps not quite as fast/forgiving as the RX30, bullseye reticle is very fast to pick up (especially in lighting situations where the reticle begins to dim) and 4.5moa center dot allows for greater precision than either the RX30 or RMR, factory QD mount is very fast/easy to use, W/E adjustments are definite w/good tactile/audible clicks (although a bit coarse at 1.7moa per click) & easily adjusted w/a quarter, feels more solid than the RX30 (subjective opinion only), forward optic collector significantly helps w/reticle contrast in challanging light conditions, has the brightest tritium of the 3 and (this is important to me, YMMV) the reticle does *not* blaze or bloom in direct sunlight, instead staying nice & bright at what I consider to be the near-perfect daytime brightness level.
Meprolight M21 cons:
Not as resistant to reticle washout as I'd prefer (sorry, it sux being a perfectionist).

I tested all 3 in the large darkened basement at my work, from 20' in looking out the open door into a corridor illuminated w/flourescent light, in a darkened bathroom looking out an 18"x36" East-facing window into noontime daylight, on a covered dock looking out at various targets in noontime daylight, in my dim home looking out a North-facing tramson into late-afternoon daylight and w/taclights in my completely dark garage.

The RMR is the most resistant to reticle washout (when I asked Trijicon about this they suggested it may be due to the emitter being so much closer to the lens than w/the larger/longer RX30) w/the M21 being slightly more resistant to reticle washout overall than the RX30 (due in larger part, IMHO, to the bullseye reticle & forward-facing fiber optic collectors) but the RX30 does seem to have better topside fiber optic collectors.

Personal take:
While I like the RMR's light weight & superior resistance to reticle washout I do *not* like the small FOV or the way the too-large dot blazes in bright daylight. The RMR is my least fav of the 3.

The RX30 is similar in many ways and performance-wise to the M21 but it doesn't strike me as being quite as well developed (ie: mount, ruggedness & W/E adjustments) and it suffers from the same "blazing daylight dot" as the RMR, it's a close 2nd to the M21.

I like just about everything about the M21 except for the susceptibility to reticle washout under certain lighting conditions (the bane of all Reflex-style optics). The bullseye reticle is a joy to use, being easier/faster to use than a simple dot (YMMV) but not as "busy" as the Eotech's circle/dot reticle and it doesn't blaze in bright daylight so you still have a crisp reticle. Definitely my first choice for my particular needs.

None of these optics are "Aimpoint killers" but all 3 are quality items w/differing strengths/weaknesses. If you want a KISS optic that doesn't need batteries then definitely check out the M21.

I'll be doing range-testing this weekend, I'll post more after that.
Tomac
ETA: Even running w/just your front sight up mitigates much of the reticle washout problem as the most serious occasions I've experienced have been while using a taclight at very close range where just the front sight is all you need for COM hits.

(From the top) Trijicon RMR, Meprolight M21, Trijicon RX30:

Meprolight M21 on one of my STG-556's:

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here's my "first impressions" comparison of the Meprolight M21, Trijicon RX30 & Trijicon RMR. All 3 use fiber optics & tritium for reticle illumination but have different sizes, weights, FOV's & reticle/dot sizes.

SNIP

Thanks ... what a fantastic review.  I would like to post some more questions about the comparison but don't want to get this thread off track re: the M21.  Do you think you could re-post this as a separate thread?  "Comparison - Top 3 fiber-optic reflex sites".  Just a thought.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:35:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Excellent review! This is what we like to see - user reviews help us with product improvements and help others make the best choices. I look forward to hearing more once you do some shooting.

I would like to try the RMR out on a Glock/KPOS combo - I think it would be the perfect size.

I have to say that the M21 just looks right on a bullpup . . .

Thx, will do! Gotta agree, the M21 does look good on the STG!
Tomac

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:38:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thanks ... what a fantastic review.  I would like to post some more questions about the comparison but don't want to get this thread off track re: the M21.  Do you think you could re-post this as a separate thread?  "Comparison - Top 3 fiber-optic reflex sites".  Just a thought.

Done!
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#43]
I have had the M21 with the triangle reticle on my Steyr AUG A3 for a couple of years. I absolutly love this sight. I do not like depending on batteries, electronics and most of all on/off switches. Easily forgotten in a stressful moment. In a pitch black room the reticle glows at a perfect brightness under tritium power. I wish I could afford to outfit all my rifles with this sight. I highly recomend it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Interesting... I was just wondering if the Mako's actually WERE Meprolights and not knock-offs.

Generally, I've been extremely impressed with the Mepro night-sights on my Kimbers vs. Trijicon night-sights on others....  I think this will be the way to go over my Aimpoint on the M&P.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting... I was just wondering if the Mako's actually WERE Meprolights and not knock-offs.

Generally, I've been extremely impressed with the Mepro night-sights on my Kimbers vs. Trijicon night-sights on others....  I think this will be the way to go over my Aimpoint on the M&P.
Why would you think we would sell a knock-off of anything? There are companies that exist simply because the have knocked-off most of our products - we take a very strong stand against knock-offs.

I can guarantee that both the Mepro M21 and the Mepro MOR are the real thing, and I don't believe that there are any knock-offs yet, since the tritium/fiber optic system is harder (and more expensive) to knock of than electrical systems.

If the M21 or MOR are ever knocked-off, we will make sure that we find a way to help people know the difference.

How I should have phrased it was, "Just the other day, I was wondering......", so no offense intended.

Prior to my research a few days ago, I had very little experience with your products, and had no idea you were importing Meprolight.

I think this thread convinced me, the M-21 is my next optic.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you think we would sell a knock-off of anything? There are companies that exist simply because the have knocked-off most of our products - we take a very strong stand against knock-offs.

I can guarantee that both the Mepro M21 and the Mepro MOR are the real thing, and I don't believe that there are any knock-offs yet, since the tritium/fiber optic system is harder (and more expensive) to knock of than electrical systems.

If the M21 or MOR are ever knocked-off, we will make sure that we find a way to help people know the difference.

before this i thought mepro was chineese––-i would have definitely looked into this sooner if i knew it was Israeli
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#49]
What is the policy on tritium replacement?

Who has the best price on these and in stock (it looks like Cal's had the best price, but is out of stock at the moment...)

I picked up a Trijicon TA44, and was somehwat disappointed to find the glowing reticle, well, doesn't really glow most the time- I was looking for something that works indoors and outdoors and it looks this might fit the bill a bit better.  I may end up picking one up to give it a whirl.

Link Posted: 11/5/2010 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Just curious if the blue tint is darker on one unit or the other?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top