Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2010 3:07:18 PM EDT
I have two TA01s that need it done.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It is not published.
You have to send in your scope for them to look at it and then they give you a quote.

When I sent mine in, they gave me a new one for free.

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I know..... It's $541.75

They replace everything internally including the prisms, fiber optic rail, glass, tritium, etc.....

.... Best of all is if you want another reticle installed, just tell them and they can put it in for the above mentioned priced. $541.75 is the complete price for internal swap, just let them know what type reticle you want.

If your tritium is dead and/or dying out, they should replace it free of charge under warranty, no matter if you are the original purchaser.

Send it in, they determine if your tritium needs replacement if it is dim enough. If it fails brightness tests, it's on them. If it passes and you still want it done..... It'll cost $541.75.

They don't mess with just the tritium, they just replace all internals if you are thinking that the price is high.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I  know of several people who Trijicon just replaced the tritium only and it was no where near that cost.  Something like $150-$200.  Just because they charged you $540+ to replace everything internal does not mean it is necessary for everyone else.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#4]
^ ^ ^ I agree 100% !

It shouldn't cost that because they shouldn't REQUIRE that all that be replaced. That's just nonsense. I can understand paying up to nearly $200, but 1/2 the cost of the optic just for a little glowing thingy ... that's obscene.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Just called them again to confirm.... They do not just replace the tritium, they replace the whole internals.

I asked if they charged a couple hundred to just replace the vial of tritium and they just said "no".

I guess since it is all the internals, basically the heart of the scope, it costs half of the price. The only item left to replace is the body.

He asked me again though, if your tritium is out..... It is covered under their lifetime warranty if it fails their brightness tests, the replacement is on them.

If you still feel after your acog's tritium needs replacement after it passed their brightness test, you can pay to get everything replaced.

If you want your internal adjusters swapped out to external adjusters, it will cost $109.50 per adjuster...... Windage and elevation together will cost $219.00 total.

I just called, you can to if you like.

I basically asked this exactly....

Me......"hello, I have a TA11 and the tritium is dead and I can't see it at night, I even stepped into a completely dark room and still cannot see it"

Trijicon......"what is model number and serial number?

Me........"blah blah blah blah"

Trijicon......... "That was made so and so year, it should still be ok. Go ahead and send it in here and we will check it out. Let me get you a repair number so we know who's it is when it gets here.

Please send your acog here....

Trijicon Inc.
Attn: repairs
49385 Shaffer Ave.
Wixom, MI. 48393

Me......."What if it by some chance it still passes, how much does it cost to just get the tritium replaced?"

Trijicon......"Well sir, we do not just replace the tritium, we actually replace the whole internals to your acog to make sure the Acog is 100% up and running when it leaves our  repair shop. If it passes our tests, the charge for full internal replacement will be $541.75. That includes all the prisms, glass, fiber optics, adjusters, tritium..... Basically everything. "

Me........."you should see it in a few days then, hopefully it fails the tests."

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

That was basically my conversation with trijicon repair Dept about my early TA11. I letter out a few things I couldn't remember but that was the just of the conversation. I sent it in last Friday and haven't heard a word yet. Still waiting

I will update here in this post about the status of my acog, hopefully it does fail their brightness tests, I would hate to pay.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Btw..... I do realize that acog's are different models and mine is a TA11 with red donut....

.....the price he quoted me could be for that particular Acog only, I am just assuming that all acog's that have both fiber optics and tritium illumination will be around that same price. But for models that only have tritium with NO fiber optics could be much less....? Right?

I am only working on what was told to me, twice now.

My TA11 acog is very old, but looks new, it is in the low 3- digit serial number range...... They might have changed something, but the repair Dept told me that the design is still the same for that model.

Like I said, what they told me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input guys. My TA01's will definitely fail the brightness test. They are dead. I'll be sending them in shortly and let you guys know what happens.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...snip...
Just called them again to confirm....
Trijicon......"Well sir, we do not just replace the tritium, we actually replace the whole internals to your acog to make sure the Acog is 100% up and running when it leaves our  repair shop. If it passes our tests, the charge for full internal replacement will be $541.75. That includes all the prisms, glass, fiber optics, adjusters, tritium..... Basically everything. "

...snip....

Not doubting what you found out, but if I took my car in to have the steering pump fixed and they said "that'll be $7000, because we'll replace the engine, water pump, thermostat and timing belt and everything" I'd be pretty pissed off.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I just replaced the battery in my T-1... after 2.5 yrs... it cost me $2.

Just sayin....
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Yah but that still leaves you with just a T-1, just saying.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
My experience with Trijicon was completely different.  I sent a TA26 in that had two problems.  One, the illumination was uneven on the horizontal axis of the reticle.  Two, there was virtually no illumination from the tritium in lowlight/dark conditions.  I called Trijicon, and sent the ACOG back.  They kept it for around 3 weeks, fixed it, and sent it back at no charge.  In fact, there was never any conversation, they simply fixed it and sent it back.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...snip...

...snip....

Not doubting what you found out, but if I took my car in to have the steering pump fixed and they said "that'll be $7000, because we'll replace the engine, water pump, thermostat and timing belt and everything" I'd be pretty pissed off.

You're actually trying to equate a car and an optic?  Seriously?  

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yah but that still leaves you with just a T-1, just saying.

HA!

Trijicons CS is great. The last ACOG I sent in, a TA01NSN, they replaced everything inside except the tritium (the front and back glass, adjustment turrets, something I cant even remember the name of, everything) for free! I would bet that if you do need new tritium and they replace all other things, you will probably only pay for the tritium.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just sayin....

what about next year when the battery leaks and eats your scope for 8 months before you realize your sight is trashed?
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin....

what about next year when the battery leaks and eats your scope for 8 months before you realize your sight is trashed?

What can leak in a lithium coin cell battery? the conductor liquid? its some salt and a solvent. (like CLP or gun cleaner)

They are pretty much solid state, not like an AA or other alkaline batteries with an acidic or basic liquid in it. The liquid inside uses some salts and solvents, which the anodizing protects against.

besides, even if something did get on the inside its all stainless steel or aluminum inside, the little circuit board is covered so you just wipe it down with some cleaner and you're good to go

nice try though!
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin....

Shhhh... Grown ups are talking....
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip...

...snip....

You're actually trying to equate a car and an optic?  Seriously?  

So, okay, in a thread about the possible outrageous cost of replacing dodgy tritium, you'd rather pick on my analogy ? So, yes, what's so hard to understand ? One part fails but rather than have the option to replace just that faulty part at reasonable cost, you're forced  to purchase a complete new inner at considerably more cost. I have two TA33's and i would be well pissed off if forking over 70% of the cost of the optic because my tritium is playing silly sods...If that still doesn't make sense to you, well, i don't really give a shit.
If that seems reasonable to you, then "Yay" .

Now, if what rogue007 is saying is complete bollocks, then that's something else...
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a seal fail on an ACOG, and when I sent it in for repair I requested a reticle change, Trijicon charged me $250 and I think they replaced every part on it but the housing and adjuster caps.
I was told that my ACOG spent a little time on the optic bench and now measured better than "average".
I was very pleased with the outcome, quality of the work was exceptional, and the scope's performance is superb.
I think it was there for a couple of weeks, time (and money) well spent!
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
As someone who has dealt with Trijicon CS, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how the company operates. I bought a used TA11F off the EE this past summer. The scope was advertised as new but when I received it, would not zero. It was as if the adjustments had been turned too far, a user created problem. After contacting them, I promptly received an RMA number to ship it off for repair. 2 weeks later, I had my scope back completely repaired and free of charge. Keep in mind, this was a user created issue. My thoughts are that Trijicon says that they will charge for certain things in order to prevent people from frivoulously sending their scope in for nonexistant issues. In the case of the tritium, since everyone knows that it eventually decays, many people would probably psych themselves out into thinking that theirs needed replacement even if it didn't. I believe that Trijicon withholds the right to charge for services solely because they are looking to prevent these people from constantly sending their scopes in for new tritium.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just sayin....

What can leak in a lithium coin cell battery? the conductor liquid? its some salt and a solvent. (like CLP or gun cleaner)

They are pretty much solid state, not like an AA or other alkaline batteries with an acidic or basic liquid in it. The liquid inside uses some salts and solvents, which the anodizing protects against.

besides, even if something did get on the inside its all stainless steel or aluminum inside, the little circuit board is covered so you just wipe it down with some cleaner and you're good to go

nice try though!

Funny story. I've seen personally a new Lithium Aimpoint battery that went tits up from just sitting. I can post pics if you want.
My ACOG is fine. I think some of the problems people are having is that the trit it hard to see as it is. And everyones eyes are different too.

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin....

nice try though!

Funny story. I've seen personally a new Lithium Aimpoint battery that went tits up from just sitting. I can post pics if you want.

My ACOG is fine. I think some of the problems people are having is that the trit it hard to see as it is. And everyones eyes are different too.

By tits up, did it blow up (or damage the Aimpoint at all) or just vent (spew some of the liquid electrolyte inside)? All batteries can have defectives once in a while, but you can grab a new CR2032 for 3 bucks. Im not a big fan of the older style batteries Aimpoint used (the DL1/3N), since they're not that easy to find. As for being in the micro, the rheostat electronics is covered by a metal cover to prevent stuff from getting in their. IIRC (its been a while since I sold my ML3 to get my T1 micro) the ML3 was pretty well isolated against battery contamination, there was just the spring and the contacts.

pics would be interesting for educational purposes though
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 1:32:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

By tits up, did it blow up (or damage the Aimpoint at all) or just vent (spew some of the liquid electrolyte inside)? All batteries can have defectives once in a while, but you can grab a new CR2032 for 3 bucks. Im not a big fan of the older style batteries Aimpoint used (the DL1/3N), since they're not that easy to find. As for being in the micro, the rheostat electronics is covered by a metal cover to prevent stuff from getting in their. IIRC (its been a while since I sold my ML3 to get my T1 micro) the ML3 was pretty well isolated against battery contamination, there was just the spring and the contacts.

Thankfully it wasn't in the Aimpoint at the time. I bought about three and stored them inside for a month or two. I was then grabbing one to put in my optic and noticed this.

I didn't get it wet and I didn't have it at hot/cold temps. Looks like it slightly ruptured. If you notice it's not supposed to expire for another 8 years.

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thankfully it wasn't in the Aimpoint at the time. I bought about three and stored them inside for a month or two. I was then grabbing one to put in my optic and noticed this.
I didn't get it wet and I didn't have it at hot/cold temps. Looks like it slightly ruptured. If you notice it's not supposed to expire for another 8 years.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/jmanski/PA200533.jpg

very interesting! Definitely defective if it was stored in good condition.

It probably wouldn't have hurt the Aimpoint if it had been inside, but it does show its a good idea to check out the batteries from time to time to make sure they're okay!

Thanks for the pic!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top