Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2010 1:56:55 AM EDT
I sighted in my ARs at the range and noticed that the rear Troy battle sights required a lot of windage adjustment (either nearly all the way to the left, or all the way to the right depending on the AR). I used to run DPMS detachable carry handles and the windage adjustments were never this bad. Any ideas/thoughts? Is it because of the clamped on Troy battle sight that deforms it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 2:46:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I sighted in my ARs at the range and noticed that the rear Troy battle sights required a lot of windage adjustment (either nearly all the way to the left, or all the way to the right depending on the AR). I used to run DPMS detachable carry handles and the windage adjustments were never this bad. Any ideas/thoughts? Is it because of the clamped on Troy battle sight that deforms it?

I noticed an issue with mine as well... I returned it for a new one because I didn't like the di-optic... but haven't tried the new sight yet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:26:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure your front sight base is not canted?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]
somewhere on here is a thread about this.  some of the rear battlesights have a bad angle on the base that attaches to the upper and this creates the situation you describe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:43:00 AM EDT
[#4]
One AR is a 24" HBAR with the YHM flip-down sight/railed gas block, and another AR is a 16" M4 w/ the Adams Arms piston gas block w/ Troy front sight.

There is a good possibility the fronts are canted, but not to the point that the rear aperture is almost at the extreme adjustment points. The Adams Arms gas block was well aligned with the upper receiver using a flat surface.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
somewhere on here is a thread about this.  some of the rear battlesights have a bad angle on the base that attaches to the upper and this creates the situation you describe.

Any more info on this?

Sighted in my old AR yesterday after installing a new Troy rear sight and couldnt' believe how much windage I had to dial in due to changing the sight.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]
i cant find it, but i remember that you could tell by looking the rail/sight interface.  if there appears to be a gap or the angled part of the mount doesn't match up to the rail, you may have a bad base.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i cant find it, but i remember that you could tell by looking the rail/sight interface.  if there appears to be a gap or the angled part of the mount doesn't match up to the rail, you may have a bad base.

Just went and checked, it doesn't look out of whack, but something is, never needed this much windage before on this rifle.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Troy BUIS are the BEST EVAH!!!!!!!  Go drink some Kool-Aid & get back with us.

I have a set, but I haven't sighted them in yet.  For the price, I sure as heck hope I don't have issues.  I almost went with MI, but I wanted an AR style front sight.  When I can eventually shoot the stupid thing, I'll report back if I have adjustment issues.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
What am I looking for with the base? I recall the adjustable/moving part clamping on pretty tightly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#10]
if i'm remembering right, the angled portion of the base of the sight that clamps against the angled portion of the rail.  it seemed that some left the factory with a bad angle cut and it caused the sight to mount canted and caused the exact same problem you're having.  i think troy was quick to send a replacement.  i dont have access to the archives so i cant find it, it was several months ago that this came up.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top