Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2010 6:14:59 PM EDT
i didnt want ot hijack someones post so i thought i whould make my own

im giving it alot of thought to get an m3 clone  but i whould like to ask a few questions.

1. without a magnifier  shots to a live animal  the size of a coyote or  wild hog at 100 yards whould this  optic be ok?

2. im looking for something  that i can pull up  fast an get a quick shot on something   whould this be  the one to get?

3. ive looked thorough  a bushnell trophy red dot acog style an didnt really like how it was is the m3 clone similar? to this optic here  http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1x32-Trophy-Red-Dot-Sight-P6913.aspx

whould this even be a good red dot style  to do any hunting with?    the price is very manageable

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya, it'll work, but for ~100 yards, I'd consider the new PA multi-reticle M3 clone with the 2moa dot, or the M4 (2moa dot), especially for small game.  You can always add a FTS magnifier if you need to extend your range.  I've just never liked the 4moa dot for any distance shooting.....one of the reasons I like my EOTechs with the 1moa dots.

Just remember, red dots are primarily for CQB and fast target aqusition, although lots of them are used for hunting.  As far as the Bushnell, I've never had one so I won't/can't offer an opinion.  Generally speaking though, I just don't care for the whole fake ACOG look.  You can get everything it offers in a T-1, without all the useless crap just to make it LOOK like an ACOG.

Just MHO, though.  Optics are a real personal decision.  Weight, price, operation, battery life, old eyeballs, etc. all are factors in what works best for YOU.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the reply first of all  

ill look into  the optic you were talking about   i have a scope im going to toss on for temp use.
im just wondering what a red dot whould do for small game.
i think if you had more than one hog or coyote and think u could drop um both.
a decent red dot or some type of red dot optic whould be good insted of a scope.
because i think you could get a better aim on a running  animal
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I used mine to shoot a hog inside 75yds Sunday. That being said, it would be nice to have a little magnification for shots on hogs and coyotes at 100 or little greater. If you can hit a hog or coyote with open sites you can do it with a red dot sight. Yes it is quick to bring the rifle up, get the dot on target and squeeze out a shot. Alot faster than any 3-9x scope for sure. I've never used the bushnell trophy so I cant give an accurate comparison.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top