Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2010 6:30:12 AM EDT
I have decided I don''t like my Eotech any more and want a Aimpoint T-1, I need some suggestions on the mount to get. I'v never really been a fan of 1/3 co-witness and the high mount seems pretty high but thats what I see most people use. The absolute co-witness would be the choice I would pick if it didn't look so "weird" i.e. its being held by a very thin piece of metal. Right now I'm leaning toward the medium mount, will I be able to see my sights with the medium mount?

What do you guys say?

ETA: going on MRP 10.5 with Troy BUIS

Pics of mounts
Here is a pic of "thebomber" gear and seems like he is using the medium mount
Here
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I run the tall and as you said its the most popular.

join the club
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I run the tall and as you said its the most popular.

join the club

lol and be one of the cool kids

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Assuming it's going on a standard AR, you only have 2 options.  The LT660 for a lower 1/3 co-witness or the LT751 for an absolute.  As for the mount "looking weird," well, if looks are your priority then why are you even wasting money on a top of the line optic and mount?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
You're leaning towards the one that is explicitly stated NOT to work properly with your setup?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Assuming it's going on a standard AR, you only have 2 options.  The LT660 for a lower 1/3 co-witness or the LT751 for an absolute.  As for the mount "looking weird," well, if looks are your priority then why are you even wasting money on a top of the line optic and mount?

I said it looks weird because it looks like its supported by a very thin piece of metal. It just dose not look as durable as the tall/medium.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You're leaning towards the one that is explicitly stated NOT to work properly with your setup?

I have seen pic of people using the medium mount.
Here

posted by "thebomber" and his look like a work gun, and mine will be too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

He has a tall mount. He milled out some of the aluminum to make it lighter weight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

That one sure looks taller than the medium mount.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

That one sure looks taller than the medium mount.

I think you're right, he did a really good job.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't see the need for an absolute co-witness on a RDS unless maybe you're using a fixed rear BUIS for some reason.  The "tall" mounts work well and I wouldn't worry about this being some sort of fad.  I use a LaRue "tall" mount...the DD micro mount would be another great choice if you don't need/want QD.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Guess Im gonna have to get the tall mount
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with this combo from GG&G.  Works great.

http://www.gggaz.com/uploaded_images/AimpointT1-W-Mount270.jpg
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went with this combo from GG&G.  Works great.

http://www.gggaz.com/uploaded_images/AimpointT1-W-Mount270.jpg

If you are going with this setup, you should just have done with the CompM4.  
The GG&G set up is HEAVY and you loose the "weight benefit" that the T1 offers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the tall. Didn't know an optic mount could be a fad. I guess I'm one of the cool kids.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#16]
i use the tall larue mount and can see both front and rear sights just fine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
660 [lower 1/4] too tall for my taste, 660HK [upper 5/8] better but a little on the short side; the 751 [absolute] should be just right for me.  I guess that I need to sell off some of the others, and get one to see for sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I run a tall mount, but I have a FSB. I look at it like this.

1- It's an Aimpoint, it will never brake.
2- It's quick release, so the second I have the chance I would remove it if the optic failed. Althougth the front sight is visible with it installed.
3- I didn't want the FSB cluttering up my FOV so I went tall. No problems.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
How high is the tall mount from the bore? 3"???
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How high is the tall mount from the bore? 3"???

It says on their website that the LT-150, which provides a lower 1/3 co-witness for the M2/M3 models, positions the centerline of the optic 1.7" above the top rail.  Should be the same for the LT-660.  I don't know what the distance is from top of rail to centerline of bore.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I just received a Larue absolute co-witness mount the other day. The thing is elegant and very light and like all Larue stuff is very sturdy. I have 2 of the GG&G which I like a lot but the Larue absolute is lighter and very cool. I got the VFZ rather than the QD mount.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#22]
With flip up BUIS I'd go with the absolute co-witness mount. If I have a FSB or fixed sights in general I'd run the 1/3 cowitness. I personally like a busy free sight picture.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I use an HK mount on my KAC Sr15 and it works just fine. If I was to buy one today, I might buy the absolute co witness but the HK mount is close enough to co witness for me. and has affected the use of my Aimpoint Micro in any way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I also suggest going against the popular opinion and go LaRue T1 with Absolute Co-witness.  Primarily because even though you run flip sights, there are times where IMO - leaving the front sight in the up position at the ready is the way to go for instant close range target aquisition in varying light . With the rear sight folded down,  you'd use the T1 as a big ghost ring.  Its seriously fast that way.  Also, lets  say you were to grab the weapon at night in a "quickly evolving situation" where an intruder is very close.  If the red dot is on a low brightness setting, the Tac-light you have mounted could possibly drown it out if you light up toward a white wall.  The front sight would boldly show up in your feild of view allowing you to make a hasty shot if need be.

Either way –– the Aimpoint idea is a good call.

J223...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top