Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2010 7:38:39 PM EDT
Picked up a copy of an ACOG TA-31 CH 4x scope on ebay. Has the same type of reticle but battery power of course. First thing I did was to Loctite the base screws which really stiffened up the mount. Finally got it to the range today, not expecting much. I had lined it up at 100 feet with a chamber laser but at 100 yds it was off quite a bit, but I guess it took about ten shots to get it lined up on the center. It's on a middy 16" carbine I made on an Aero Precision lower with M16A1 stock and a CMMG upper with med. contour 1:7 Chrome-lined barrel, A3 upper and M16 carrier. Standard middy handguards. I was shooting pretty new PRVI 'M855' and had brought 100 rounds. I had only taken 40 rounds out of the bag and finished shooting those up at the same target, just kind of blasting because by this time I had been there for three hours and had been shooting the AR, an M1 Carbine and my .45 Taurus 24/7. Anyway, the scope apparently held it's settings and I continued to hit the target in and around the 3" bullseye. I'm looking forward to shooting this set-up again soon, because this AR has turned out to be a real sweetie. Very smooth operation and not a problem of any kind yet in two range trips and about 200 rounds. I like the scope a lot. The reticle is etched on glass, and the red illumination only lights the fine lines at the center. It never 'flares' like an Eotech might at max brightness and looks like it'll be good at night or in any low-light situation - also in thick woods where you might have trouble seeing a black reticle. Of course it turns off and has variable brightness. The reticle is not 'canted' and the coated lenses don't produce discernible distortion around the edges. 4X seems to be about right for most situations and has a big field of view but I also like my Colt carbine with an Eotech XPS-2. Anyway, for $100, it could be a lot worse. I don't typically shoot a gun very much after sighting it in, but because of this scope I'll probably shoot it periodically and see how it holds zero from month to month. Don't worry, if it screws up I'll be the first to admit it, but I'm real happy with it now. It has a similar reticle to this ACOG:

and looks like this ACOG:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Now that's old school. They were issued for limited use in my unit back in '94 and were still pretty new.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I like that reticle - just seems to go with the way I aim, and it doesn't obscure the sight picture.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#3]
numerous previous warnings-hijacked this thread with nonsense about the op's writing style-locked

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I pay no attention to grammar nazis. In fact, I do most everything I can to troll 'em!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I pay no attention to grammar nazis. In fact, I do most everything I can to troll 'em!

Yea these grammar Nazis can toll some where else . I believe that a lot of these tolls are from media matters a George Soros funded organization . They troll around G.D a lot on these forums
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]
warning sent

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:47:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#12]
i read it just fine i think you guys are missing the point. sense when did this become english class !!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I, too, would like to see a pic of the actual optic in question even though I have no desire to own one. For that matter, I have no desire to own a real ACOG.

OT This is one of a half dozen or so tech forums that I spend most of my ARFCOM time on. I like to learn and pass on information I have learned. I find it hard to do so when I can't understand someone. To that extent, the proper use of one's first language is essential.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#14]
temporary account lock
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#15]
lol...you guyz are funny.

but serioulsy...is there a tell tale way to tell between a fake and genuine acog?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#18]
That is much gooder.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you want to be english tutors then use the IM system.

There you go! Great idea. As far as telling real ACOGs, its rather easy; first, only the Trijicon product has Tritium illumination. If it has a battery, it ain't Trijicon. Second, the real item has the brand name cast into the body. On mine it is a paint stamp (I think there are also repros with the cast-in name). Beyond that it starts to get fuzzy, because there are so bloody many Trijicon models. Some of the replicas even have the fiber optic tube. The original mine was patterned from did not have the fiber optic tube because of the reticle design - black by day and red by night. Now here's something really cheap on mine - the reticle adjusting knobs have 'Up' and 'R' as usual, but no directional arrows! I'll be scratching arrows on with an awl the next time I take it out.
Paragraph break as requested by OberSturmBannFuhrer Grammarnazi
Here's a picture, not that great. You can see that I removed the 'back-up' sights from the scope, consisting of the front sight blade and rear aperture. You can readily see the battery compartment right above the charging handle. In order to sell these without getting in trouble, they are advertised as 'airsoft' and shipped as 'toys'. Regardless, it works for me. This one came with two bases - one for the Picatinney rail and one for the smaller rail. Also a lens cloth and extra battery. The battery is a CR1/3N, a common and inexpensive one.  

In order to sell these without getting in trouble, they are advertised as 'airsoft' and shipped as 'toys'. Regardless, it works for me. This one came with two bases - one for the Picatinney rail and one for the smaller rail. Also a lens cloth and extra battery. The battery is a CR1/3N, a common and inexpensive one. Hey, that's an advantage over the ACOG! If this scope lasts for over ten years, the equivalent ACOG's Tritium illumination would be about shot, and all I have to do is put a battery in.

So far I don't see anything wrong with it, but obviously there are many things that could go wrong. I'll just have to see what happens.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#25]
review of scope with illegal trademark
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top