Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:41:18 PM EDT
I'm seeing most guys are mounting their optics on a picatinny rail.  

What's the advantage of doing this over mounting on the carry handle?

Is it an accuracy issue?  Ascetics?  

There has to be some reason.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry handle mounted optics are too high off the bore for most people.

Even if you're comfortable with a "chin weld" - zeroing for more than one distance becomes more complicated.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Bore alignment, balance, easier to smack into something, and it's just, well.......goofy looking.  IMHO, of course.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm seeing most guys are mounting their optics on a picatinny rail.

What's the advantage of doing this over mounting on the carry handle?

Is it an accuracy issue? Ascetics?

There has to be some reason.

What others have said for sure, but also the issue of stability comes into play.  If you have a flat top railed reciever, its best to mount directly to that.  If you mount to a detachable carry handle, you now have 3 attachment points to worry about.  The CH, the Rail attached to the CH, and the scope mounts that are attached to the rail which is attached to the CH.

If you have an A3 railed reciever, mount directly to it.  If you have a A1 or A2 your only option is mount to the CH, but make sure its as low as possible and as secure as possible.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#4]
What are some good mount options for a carry handle for a RDS optic? I've seen some where it doesn't put it on the carry handle but more towards the front extended..Something like the Trijicon Reflex, RMR, or Doctor..Basically something small like a mini back up red dot..
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What are some good mount options for a carry handle for a RDS optic? I've seen some where it doesn't put it on the carry handle but more towards the front extended..Something like the Trijicon Reflex, RMR, or Doctor..Basically something small like a mini back up red dot..

That depends on what RDS you are mounting.

The ARMS #39+ will not mount an EOTech and allow the use of BUIS.  the EOtech body blocks the BUIS.  So you need a Ben Coolie (sp?) adjustable gooseneck or similar gooseneck made for an EOtech.  I think PRI makes one for an EOTech as well. Trijicon, Aimpoint and C-More make rails designed just for their optics.  Its best to use that they designed, there is no reason for you to re-invent the wheel...its already been done.

Avoid E-bay Gooseneck rails.  they are mostly made in china crap that isnt straight and made from pot metal.  Buy quality here...this is mounting your optic and you cant skimp on quality here.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That depends on what RDS you are mounting.
The ARMS #39+ will not mount an EOTech and allow the use of BUIS.  the EOtech body blocks the BUIS.  So you need a Ben Coolie (sp?) adjustable goose neck or similar goose neck made for an EOtech.  I think PRI makes one for an EOTech as well. Trijicon, Aimpoint and C-More make rails designed just for their optics.  Its best to use that they designed, there is no reason for you to re-invent the wheel...its already been done.

Avoid E-bay Gooseneck rails.  they are mostly made in china crap that isn't straight and made from pot metal.  Buy quality here...this is mounting your optic and you cant skimp on quality here.

This is actually for a friend that I sold one of my 16" A2 rifles to and more than likely, it will be a Dr Optic/ RMR type mini red dot. I know that a larger Eotech type red dot is not going to be ideal with the carry handle and I just wanted to give him a few options without having to mount on top of the actual carry handle. Thank you for the info and I'll look further into the gooseneck design rails. Do you think that the gooseneck and mini RDS is doable?

ETA: Pics of different set ups would be greatly appreciated.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top