Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2010 10:28:01 PM EDT
I have a 18" carbine/rifle(whatever you feel like calling it ) with a TA31 on it.  I would like to mount a small red dot to supplement the ACOG.  I really do not like the mounts that put it over the ACOG.  I already have the mount for that, but discarded that idea after trying out a friends.  

What other options do I have?  I know it will probably involve mounting the optic at a 45 degree angle and canting the gun to use it.

Also I prefer the small red dots of the micro Aimpoint type and not the Doctor Optic type.

The gun will be used for a little bit of everything.  I really do want to get into three gun matches, but keep it usable for defense as well.  

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The only way I know of, is what you've mentioned all ready.  Canting your rifle to aim down a small reflex sight that is at a 45 degree angle on your rail.  Of course LaRue makes some.

LaRue Tactical
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know Mark made anything like that.  I thought I was going to have to cobble something together.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I am going the exact opposite direction. I have an aimpoint H1 in the larue QD offset mount.

Don't get me wrong it works fine. The problem is that I am out of rail on the upper.

BUIS + ACOG + H1 > railspace

I have a RM05 trijicon on the way that i am looking to buy the RM38 mount to put it on my TA31.

We might be able to work something out.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]

This is what that looks like, Larue 1 oclock QD and H1

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
DD, TNVC, YHM, etc. also make cant mounts for the type of application which you describe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:56:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
DD, TNVC, YHM, etc. also make cant mounts for the type of application which you describe.

I tried all of them.  Each relies on stacking two mounts, each with cross bolts.  Cross bolts tend to stretch and fail to fill the M1913 rail.  Stretch.  Loosen.  Slop.

LaRue has, instead, a lug which fits securely into the M1913 rail.

No slop.

Quoted:
I am going the exact opposite direction. I have an aimpoint H1 in the larue QD offset mount.

Don't get me wrong it works fine. The problem is that I am out of rail on the upper.

BUIS + ACOG + H1 > railspace

This combo works:  TA31F on a LaRue RCO mount along with a T-1 on an LT-724.  A KAC 300m fits on the rail if Mr. Murphy craps on everything.

You need something shorter than the LT-100 and, perhaps, a smaller foot print BUIS.

Nathan runs an RCO with a T1 in a LT offset mount.
I have one of these combos, and it has potential.

I just can't warm up to it.

S/F

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I am going to be putting my H1 and larue mount (viewed above) on the EE. I put it together to try it out on my 3gun rifle and it works fine but I just can't get used to canting the rifle at speed.

I will make you a deal if you want this complete combo, otherwise I am going to break the combo up and sell it on the EE. the gear is practically brand new boxes warranty card and all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#9]
By BUIS are Troy folders, love em too much to change
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I would be interested, but I am kind of out of the country right now.
<––––––––-

I do like that set up. I tend to use a Matech BUIS because that is what I use on my issue carbine. I know there are better options, but the familiarity kind of trumps them for now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#11]
That LaRue mount and Micro is slick as hell. I wonder how that would work with a fixed 10X scope on an AR10T? And could the Aimpoint serve as a rough index for faster target acquisition with the relatively narrow FOV of the 10X?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Parted out on the EE
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That LaRue mount and Micro is slick as hell. I wonder how that would work with a fixed 10X scope on an AR10T? And could the Aimpoint serve as a rough index for faster target acquisition with the relatively narrow FOV of the 10X?

A guy at my club runs the setup ask about above..he has a H1 mounted forward his scope (leupold I beleive) you cant the rifle just slightly to the right and the H1 is on for close targets...works great..

I have a SS10x42 on my AR10T and plan on doing this same thing with the Larue setup...just need money now :)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top