Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2010 7:51:52 PM EDT
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Aimpoint M4 with the Larue mount combo, but i may be needing more than 3X mag on my setup. I just finished building (i know, it doesn't end) my SAM-R, and i am now on the search for optics. The gun is my go to weapon but i also like to engage paper at 600yd.

The reason im going with the M4 and not with a low-power variable it's because the "build-like-a-tank" design and the battery. Also the ability to flip the Mag, and have a true 1X red dot, which to me is great.
I know that the AP is not the right optic for shooting tight groups, and even though that i have the weapon to go that route, im more interested on "minute-of-man" accuracy than anything else.

Im open to all suggestions.

As always, thanks guys.

J
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say for a SAM-R, get a more traditional scope, and maybe a ring-mounted or angle mounted MRDS.

And what's a magnificator? Magnifier?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd say for a SAM-R, get a more traditional scope, and maybe a ring-mounted or angle mounted MRDS.

And what's a magnificator? Magnifier?

LOL got it, Magnifier . Still i would like to hear the suggestion on a more powerful magnifier.

Thanks

J
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
EOTech made a 4X mag, maybe they still do, don't know.  I've not heard of a higher mag than that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Aimpoint is really really hard to beat for shooting under 100 yards. Under 25-15 yards a 1x will be so much faster it'll leave everything else behind. At 100 yards if you're a compitent shooter you'll be able to hold 2 MOA with good ammo no problem. With a 3-4x magnifier you should have no issues banging 12x12 steel at 500 yards every time. PA makes a budget 5x magnifier if you're on a budget too.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=453382&light=
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Forget the magnifier altogether and get a quick release scope, like a Leupold 2.5-8 (or a 1.5-5) or something like that?

Since you're already getting a LaRue mount on your Aimpoint M4 then it would seem to make sense, just keep it in an extra pouch or something when you go out. Im sure the Leupold is gonna be a little more expensive than a magnifier, but if you get the Aimpoint you can always grab the scope and a LaRue QR mount for it later

ETA

the above post is good advice too
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top