Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2010 9:17:08 AM EDT
At 100 to 150 yards using a BCM middy benched the standard a65 from eotech or a  2moa dot in an aimpoint comp ml3 which will be more accurate at these ranges and what size groups should i expect Thanks in advance for any input! Bythe way this is my SHTR rifle so i want an aimpoint because of battery life.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Flame on, I like the 1 MOA dot for that range, but I'm not too sure one will be more accurate than the other. At that range I can hit a can of soda pretty reasonably... although Im no marksman either.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the eotech.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
You might not shoot well enough to notice the difference between the two.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone have pics of there groups at this distance with these sights?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Best I've been able to do out of Noveske barrels are:

2 MOA with the EOTech
3 MOA with the H-1

5-shot groups at 100yds from a bench, match ammo.

My eyes suck though.  That's all you can really expect unless you're a rockstar - these sites are meant for quick, both eyes open targeting.  Minute of man, if you will...

I can do sub-MOA out of the same rifles/ammo with glass...

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I can shoot better with irons than I can with a red dot, be it an Eotech or Aimpoint.  The important thing to remember is red dot sights are not made for precision shooting, they do give you the ability to acquire targets faster.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I can shoot a 1.5" group at 100 w/ an EOTech
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I find the 4MOA dot on the Aimpoint minis (R-1/H-1/T-1) to be a bit big for shooting 100 yards.  Looking at a NRA 100 yard target which has a black area of about 6 inches, the 4MOA dot is almost as big and I find it difficult to center the dot.  I am now trying a CompM4 which has a 2MOA dot, hopefully that will work better for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At 100 to 150 yards using a BCM middy benched the standard a65 from eotech or a  2moa dot in an aimpoint comp ml3 which will be more accurate at these ranges and what size groups should i expect Thanks in advance for any input!

At 100 yards my groups with the Aimpoint are the same size as when I use iron sights. Your results may vary.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Most likely better than you can shoot.  However, the 1moa dot of the EO's will certainly help at 100+ yards (at least for me).
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I shot with my new Eo this weekend.  I was very impressed with the dot.  I lowered the brightness setting for 80 yards and it seemed the dot got smaller and smaller.  Worked really well.  At 25 yards it was also great.  For a first timer I was very satisfied.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does anyone have pics of there groups at this distance with these sights?

I don't have pictures but you can see the results on line.  I came in 4th place at this years Texas Adjunct General's Rifle Match using an unmagnified Eotech on an M4.

1st through 3rd place winners are darn fine shooters and using 4x ACOGS on full size A4's.  

Probably 50% of the match was at 400 yards.

I found that the 1 MOA Eotech allowed for a much finer sight picture at 400 yards.  The M4 front sight looked like a brick on the Figure 11 target at that distance!  I doubt I had the ability to beat the 1st place winner, but I really think things would have been different if I would have had the advantage of magnification.

All in all I am very impressed with what can be done out to 400 yards with an Eotech.

.........Mounger
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Have been using aimpoints for a long time now, various size dots.  Picked up an eotech awhile back, xps2 w/dot only.  Shooting for groups was much more precise with the eotech's 1moa dot at 100yds, 1.5-2" groups no problem.
 Beyond 100, like at 300, the 1moa dot is still well within the boundry of a man sized target, whereas a 4moa dot is covering most of it.  Some folks zero the larger dots where point of impact is at 12 o'clock, rather than "centered-up" within the dot, which could allow more precise shooting at say 100yds.   The nice thing about the precise 1moa dot, you can just brighten it up and it acts like a larger one, has a very broad brightness range, really liking the eotech dot. Other pro's & con's to both.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top