Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2010 8:16:16 AM EDT

I want a scope for my LR-308 24" fluted AR.   I was serious about the SS 10X with a side focus, and was going to mount a Burris Fast Fire red dot on the side of a LaRue mount.
Now I'm considering the following scopes; Your oppinions are greatly appreciated:

This is a 4.5-14x50 Zeiss Conquest with target knobs, and the 1000yrd "Z" reticle.    From what I can find it is calibrated to the 168gr A-Max at 2650fps, and even at my altitude 4500ft it's almost exactly on, all the way out to 1000yrds.   No mil/mil or FFP.    Any one have any experience with it?  I have a 3-9X Conquest and it has been a superb optic at dusk.
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-45-14x50-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P8686.aspx

The next is the Burris 3.5-12x50   XTR     Mil dot, side focus, but no Mil/Mil or FFP.  LaRue sells this with their mount combo at a nice price.
http://swfa.com/Burris-3-12x50-Xtreme-Tactical-XTR-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10978.aspx

Last   everyone keeps talking about the Bushnell 4200 Elite  3-12x44,    Mil/Mil, lighted mil dot, side focus, FFP     My only worry about this is how good the glass is?  

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-12x44-Elite-4200-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45484.aspx
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Of those three, I like the features of the Bushnell Elite the best.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Of those three, I like the features of the Bushnell Elite the best.

I would really like to know how good the glass is on the Bushy.   On par with what?  Better than what?   Not as good as what?

I know Mil/mil  and FFP are the new in things on Arfcom, but I don't want to give up quality glass for just those features, especially the FFP.   I know the Zeiss will be great glass, and there is a Mil dot instead of the Z1000, which I know is not favorable for most.    

The thing is, I rarely ever move my hunting scope from the 9X.    I just never seem to have to, and out here, it's so open, that the more magnification is almost always what you need.   That is why I considered the 10X + the red dot.   That said this is not going to be my hunting rig; more a marksman's rifle.  I will be shooting out to 1000yrds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I happen to have a Burris xtr-312 for sale for 700 if your interested. I'm in Denver,short drive. Its in good shape and
Is the ballistic mildot illuminated reticle. Pm me if your interested
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Its the 3-12x50 side focus. Black.bikini caps and 3" sunshade in the box.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I apprecite the offer.  Sounds like a good deal, but I'm going to buy new for this rifle.    My question is what did you replace it with?    I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Bushnell, after giving it some serious thought, but I keep thinking I'm going to miss the clarity of the Zeiss glass.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Zeiss.

I have quite a few scopes. I have a Leupold Vari-XIII 6.5-20x40 and a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. The Zeiss is so far ahead of the Leupold that it is embarrassing.
I also have a few Nikon Monarchs and one of the Nikon Tactical scopes and they are also much better than the Leupold Var-XIIIs.

I have the Leupold 6.5-20 on a tricked out 10/22 and it does a fine job there. I also have a Leupold M8 4X Rimfire scope. I sent it back to the factory and they adjusted the parallax to 100 yards and installed a German reticle. It is great on the Marlin 30/30.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I apprecite the offer.  Sounds like a good deal, but I'm going to buy new for this rifle.    My question is what did you replace it with?    I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Bushnell, after giving it some serious thought, but I keep thinking I'm going to miss the clarity of the Zeiss glass.

Nightforce
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top