Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2010 2:36:19 PM EDT
I know of ARMS and Rock River versions....any feedback?

I have a bitchin' A1 M4 carbine that I swear by and use more than any other AR in my arsenal.  I'd like to add a H1 or RMR to it....but to do it would require a carry handle mount that'll allow me to cowitness in the lower 1/3...or perhaps a direct cowitness.  Undecided right now.

Any feedback? Pics? Etc?  I don't need to be talked out it - I'm looking to retrofit my version of "old faithful."  I need input from those that have them.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
something like this?

mount
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...Cooley's, ARMS, RRA's....looking for feedback essentially on which one's you hardcore A1/A2 carry handled mofo's prefer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used the Cooley models for several years without any problems.

The nice thing is they can be adjusted up or down depending on how you want your sight.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
About the only thing ARMS makes that's worth a damn. The 39A2 Plus,,mine has been rock solid.
I like the fact I can use the sights,and it has 2  point mounting .Using the carry handle hole,as well as clamping around the carry handle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have an optic for it yet, so it'd have to be iron-friendly.  Essentially, I'm not sure if I ought to get a Cooley Mount or ARMS.  I swore off ARMS quite some time ago....so maybe I have my answer....

Still, I like the 2-point mounting.  How many does the Cooley mount have, 1?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
About the only thing ARMS makes that's worth a damn. The 39A2 Plus,,mine has been rock solid.
I like the fact I can use the sights,and it has 2  point mounting .Using the carry handle hole,as well as clamping around the carry handle.

Oh, yeah!  ARMS #39 in my opinion, is the best cantilever mount out there.  I have a T-1 sitting on top of it (on the cantelevered portion).  The problem is, you will need a riser to bring the T-1 high enough for an absolute co-witness.  For this, I use the YHM 1/4" riser - perfect absolute co-witness.  The bad thing is, the riser takes all of the rail space  Another solution is, ADM makes a riser for the T-1 that will allow a direct co-witness using the ARMS cantilever mount.  You may want to ask a member here by the name of "Edwin" who has a T-1 with the ADM riser on top of an ARMS rail (that rail was made for an A-2 fixed carry handle - the exact same system as the ARMS #39, but it is a full blown rail, not just a cantilever mount).

I am not going to talk you out of it.  On the contrary!  I am going to cheer you on!  No matter what cantilever mount you'll chose, do not change your old faithful to a flat top - just get a cantilever mount of your choice and enjoy!

I do recommend ARMS #39, though.  I had doubt about it, but once I got it and used it a lot, I never look back ever since.  It is rock solid and maintains zero faithfully.  One draw back is you may want to torque the forward clamp's carry handle thumb nut SLIGHTLY more than just finger tight.  What I did was finger tightened it, and then with a small plier, I applied another 1/8 or so of an extra turn.  But that's because I have weak girly fingers - a real man can apply enough torque using his fingers alone.  As for the thumb nut that goes under the carry handle, that thing will stay thightened with just finger pressure (you do require quite a bit of pressure).  I have mine mounted on my 6520 and....oh...I don't know 2000 rounds later or something like that and it still stays solid and maintains zero.

Yes, I am pimpin' the ARMS #39 on you!

Good luck and post pics after that.  I wish I knew how to post pics - I'll let you see my set up.  You'll approve  Maybe it's time for me to learn how to post pics.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I ended up buying a used Cooley mount from another Arfcommer.  He gave me an offer I couldn't refuse!

Regardless, I'll update this thread with photos once it comes in!  It should do the trick.  It's vertically adjustable, which I like.  Next, I'll scour the EE for a used RDS, RMR, or Reflex.  Not sure what I want yet.  Something that's not afraid of a hard knock.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't keep us waitin' slick!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ended up buying a used Cooley mount from another Arfcommer.  He gave me an offer I couldn't refuse!

Regardless, I'll update this thread with photos once it comes in!  It should do the trick.  It's vertically adjustable, which I like.  Next, I'll scour the EE for a used RDS, RMR, or Reflex.  Not sure what I want yet.  Something that's not afraid of a hard knock.

Search the EE for posts by tenewel.  He's got a bunch of used optics for sale...there were two Reflexes in his various listings.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top