Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2010 5:57:55 AM EDT
Hey,

I have a quick question.. just got my spikes midlength, had a matech BUIS and a eotech 512 waiting for it... put it all together last night and I noticed that I have to mount the eotech right infront of the BUIS... its hard to get your fingers in at the buttons... if I move it forward the eotech will hit the hand gaurd over the barrel.   I really like the look of the MOE handgaurd, do those have clearence on the top for an optic to overhand off the upper rail?  Also what other hand gaurds will accomplish this (other than actual rails)

For temp, I'm going to clearence the front gaurd so I don't have the issue.

Mike.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The newer 512 have the clearance cut to clear the handguard.  If it doesn't, you could get a riser mount to bring the 512 up high enough to clear and also obtain a lower 1/3 cowitness.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe that Yankee Hill makes a nice inexpensive riser for doing what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya I bought an older one... I don't want the riser.. I like the current sight picture with the front post.  

MIke.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Well if you don't want to add a riser because you like your current sight picture you are beginning to run out of options. Have you ever tried a lower 1/3 co-witness? I would highly recommend trying it. It will give you a nearly unobstructed sight picture allowing you to get on target faster.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't there a newer XPS model with the controls on the side because of this problem? EXPS I think.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The EXPS has the buttons on the side the only issue would be the OP does not want to raise his optic because he doesn't want a lower 1/3 co-witness.  The EXPS is a great optic and I cannot say enough positive things about it.  But the OP may find himself in a tough place with the older version of the 512 without the front cut out portion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the reply guys.

I decided I'd do a little filing... I clearenced the upper half on the front handguard enough to clear the eotech and allow for any flexing during shooting etc.  Looks good and works perfect now.

When magpul comes out with their midlength MOE handguard I will get that .. I believe that is notched on the top to clear this issue... if not I will figure it out then... maybe I'll go wit the 1/3 cowitness riser then.

Mike.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top