Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2010 7:48:41 AM EDT
As an offset RDS used with an ACOG, which do you like more?  Why?
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
no time with a rmr....but the t-1 makes a great secondary optic, and quite a few mounts exist for it to run that way....because of that i would say the t-1.

For a t-1 you have the LT-724, Matt Burkett Off set mount, DD 1 oclock.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I myself am leaning toward the T-1 with offset mount like Trident has on his rifle.

The T1 is a bit cheaper than the RMR, and looks like it can take a bit more abuse too.  Battery life goes hands down to the T1 too.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I myself am leaning toward the T-1 with offset mount like Trident has on his rifle.

The T1 is a bit cheaper than the RMR, and looks like it can take a bit more abuse too.  Battery life goes hands down to the T1 too.  

RMR  tritium ––no batteries eva!
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Paging EDWIN907.....that is the glass whore I take my advice from

He has both setups.....I believe the T-1 and RMR are both mounted on TNVC's SAR's.

I really do find the open, more holographic type sights... like a RMR extremely fast to use and I do hope to pick up a RMR someday, just not for a secondary optic role.  With that said....no way do I trust a RMR canted off the side of either a piece of glass or the gun itself...as much as I do the robust lil T-1 that is fully enclosed with no flat sides like the RMRs or similar Dr. type sights. The overall curved body of the T-1 when mounted in a similar type canted position has no where near the strain and potential for a major breakage as a RMR will.  

I have no doubts the RMR's are awesomely built, I just think an open, more holographic type secondary sight is really quite vulnerable when being canted and hanging off a rifle.

I do understand Dr. type optics such as RMRs and MRDS's have winged protective mounts....that said...I do not know about you gents, but "winged protective  mount" sounds a lil bit feminine to say the least for my tastes
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 3:05:46 AM EDT
[#7]
The RMR has went through the same test plan the ACOG is subjected to and has passed.  It's tougher than any other MRD on the market.  No winged mounts required with the RMR, the forged aluminum housing is nearly indestructible.  The T1 is a great optic as well, just don't make your decision based solely on assuming the RMR is fragile...
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Bullitt, does the LED version have the blue tint?  What's it's battery life?

I could speculate but figured I'd ask. I Thinking of putting on the front half of a cantilevered A2 carry handle mount on one of my carbines.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The RMR has went through the same test plan the ACOG is subjected to and has passed.  It's tougher than any other MRD on the market.  No winged mounts required with the RMR, the forged aluminum housing is nearly indestructible.  The T1 is a great optic as well, just don't make your decision based solely on assuming the RMR is fragile...

its 7075 aluminum

and its only a shade darker than aimpoint m4s...

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I am not so much referring to the actual construction of the RMR as I mentioned before that I would assume RMR's are awesomely built.....however for me personally at least the RMR's are shape like a sideways L...vs a T-1's Wheel shape/circle shape......the t-1 will roll with the fall and spread out the impact to other areas of the rifle.....if you come straight down with any bit of velocity or force and land the gun on one of the many CORNERS located on the RMR's.....than my bet is that it will incur serious damage if not break all together.  Just my 2cents....and nothing at all against the RMR's considering I believe them to be an awesome mrd.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not so much referring to the actual construction of the RMR as I mentioned before that I would assume RMR's are awesomely built.....however for me personally at least the RMR's are shape like a sideways L...vs a T-1's Wheel shape/circle shape......the t-1 will roll with the fall and spread out the impact to other areas of the rifle.....if you come straight down with any bit of velocity or force and land the gun on one of the many CORNERS located on the RMR's.....than my bet is that it will incur serious damage if not break all together.  Just my 2cents....and nothing at all against the RMR's considering I believe them to be an awesome mrd.

ACOGs have corners too.  But they don't seem to break when dropped, and they are made from the same forged 7075 aluminum as the RMR.  If you haven't handled or used an RMR yet, try one.  They're not going to break by being dropped with/on a rifle.  .  If I'm not mistaken, I think they're built using a stronger alloy than the Aimpoints.

A little off topic, but if the Trijicon guy is still following this thread, when are we getting the fiber optic & tritium powered RED 4moa RMR?
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ACOGs have corners too.  But they don't seem to break when dropped, and they are made from the same forged 7075 aluminum as the RMR.  If you haven't handled or used an RMR yet, try one.  They're not going to break by being dropped with/on a rifle.  .  If I'm not mistaken, I think they're built using a stronger alloy than the Aimpoints.

A little off topic, but if the Trijicon guy is still following this thread, when are we getting the fiber optic & tritium powered RED 4moa RMR?

That is something I would like to see as well but the fiber would be REALLY small and we haven't gotten there yet...we did just launch the 7MOA not too long ago.  You are right about the RMR, a drop will not damage it.  You should see what we do to them...
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bullitt, does the LED version have the blue tint?  What's it's battery life?

I could speculate but figured I'd ask. I Thinking of putting on the front half of a cantilevered A2 carry handle mount on one of my carbines.

Hey bud, the LED version does not have the blue tint lense.  Battery life is stated at around two years, but I have been running a prototype since late '07 and it's as bright as it was on day one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Excellent!  Thank you!  I'm gonna spruce up my KISS carbine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is something I would like to see as well but the fiber would be REALLY small and we haven't gotten there yet...we did just launch the 7MOA not too long ago.  You are right about the RMR, a drop will not damage it.  You should see what we do to them...

Ahh....so does Trijicon have plans to do any red dot RMR's in fiber optic / tritium?  The yellow just doesn't work for me, and I want to stay battery-free.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top