Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/18/2010 9:42:13 AM EDT
Has anyone played with the new Leupold Deltapoint?

I am interested in how the motion sensor (optical?  inertial?), auto-shut-off  and auto-brightness work.  

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/deltapoint-reflex-sights/deltapoint-reflex-sight/
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Leupold makes good stuff, but for $400+ ???

It's 7.5moa too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
there is a 3.5moa version as well....the trijicon RMRs are in that price range, arent they?
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone get one yet?

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The 7.5moa reticle is a triangle, hence the "deltapoint" name.

The motion sensor thing is basically an auto-shutoff for if you leave it sitting down somewhere for a period, like in a safe or on a nightstand.

If it combined an always on battery life equivalent to a docter optic combined with the ability to shut off when you set it down anywhere and turn back on when you pick it up, it would be a potentially awesome sight.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Wish I had waited for this over the Burris FF-II
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#6]
anyone get one?

I am looking to pick up an optic for my fnp45 tactical and I think this may do the job very well...
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
yes I have played with one extensively, auto off feature is a nice addition.  Like the wider lens, also 7.5 min delta is nice, large triangle to see easily, top point gives a semi precise aiming point.  plan to get about a half dozen of them. I believe that they are beginning to ship now.  What else do you want to know?
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 3:33:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yes I have played with one extensively, auto off feature is a nice addition.  Like the wider lens, also 7.5 min delta is nice, large triangle to see easily, top point gives a semi precise aiming point.  plan to get about a half dozen of them. I believe that they are beginning to ship now. What else do you want to know?

Do they fit the Larue 724 mounts?
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yes I have played with one extensively, auto off feature is a nice addition.  Like the wider lens, also 7.5 min delta is nice, large triangle to see easily, top point gives a semi precise aiming point.  plan to get about a half dozen of them. I believe that they are beginning to ship now.  What else do you want to know?

for pistol application would you prefer the triangle or the 3.5moa dot?
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes I have played with one extensively, auto off feature is a nice addition. Like the wider lens, also 7.5 min delta is nice, large triangle to see easily, top point gives a semi precise aiming point. plan to get about a half dozen of them. I believe that they are beginning to ship now. What else do you want to know?

Do they fit the Larue 724 mounts?

Larue 724??? not familiar with that one.  I have yet to try it on my LaRue 137 mount, Will let you know.

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes I have played with one extensively, auto off feature is a nice addition. Like the wider lens, also 7.5 min delta is nice, large triangle to see easily, top point gives a semi precise aiming point. plan to get about a half dozen of them. I believe that they are beginning to ship now. What else do you want to know?

for pistol application would you prefer the triangle or the 3.5moa dot?

I think the 7.5 min delta, but that is my preference.

Link Posted: 6/9/2010 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
looking to buy a reflex sight for a FNH-SLP 12guage should I get the delta or the dot?
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
from someone who owns lots of top of the line leupold scopes... their stuff is pretty good but its overpriced a bit. my main concern is their low QC level.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

hi! where does the battery compartment located? how long does the auto-shut off kick in, i presume this is the motion sensor thing right? do you think it can withstand a practical impact on the field? thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
the battery is on the bottom like most of the micro red dot sights, you have to take off the entire unit to change it but this is the same as my docter optic and most of the ones out there.  however with the auto off feature I think that the battery life will be long enough that this would not be a major pain to deal with.  If the unit is not moved it turns off after five minutes until it moves again.  Yes it is motion sensor, as for field durability I have not had the opportunity to test it in a field environment yet, but I plan on getting about a half a dozen of them when I can.  I really like the construction of them, all metal and glass rather than plastic but I am an old school kind of guy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

the battery is on the bottom like most of the micro red dot sights, you have to take off the entire unit to change it but this is the same as my docter optic and most of the ones out there.  however with the auto off feature I think that the battery life will be long enough that this would not be a major pain to deal with.  If the unit is not moved it turns off after five minutes until it moves again.  Yes it is motion sensor, as for field durability I have not had the opportunity to test it in a field environment yet, but I plan on getting about a half a dozen of them when I can.  I really like the construction of them, all metal and glass rather than plastic but I am an old school kind of guy.

Is there also a way to turn it off manually?

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
The web site talks about using the cover to turn it off manually
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#18]
The examples that I saw at Shot Show this year were embarassing.  The so called triangle was horrible.  Overall it reminded me of something that NCStar would put out.  I say this in all honesty and I currently own a few Leupold scopes.  I would recommend the RMR (but I won't because I am biased).  The Insight is a much better MRD than the Deltapoint IMO.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
One of the problems with the smaller red dots like this is actually being to try one out at a local shop. The more common items can be found and evaluated. The less common stuff isn't carried locally.   The only way to get an RMR, Insight or Deltapoint in our area is by the web.

Appreciate the input of those who have used them, or at least seen them in person.

Link Posted: 7/4/2010 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I hope there's a way to turn it off manually.  What happens when you drive some place is the sight on the whole time?
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone know if the motion sensor is optical or inertial?   That was the only question I could find still left unanswered.  If its optical (sees movement), then sitting in a case in my trunk would be fine because its dark.  If it's inertial (feels movement) then it may think its being used while its bouncing around in the trunk.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#22]
For manual shut-off, you snap a cover on it.  Pop it off when needed.  This would take no longer than turning on an Aimpoint or EOTech (actually, it's faster).

I have 2 questions.
1.  Washout.  In a dark environment using a weapon light, would the sensor allow the Deltapoint to get bright enough to prevent washout?
2.  Is the supplied picatinny mount tall enough to clear an AR15 front sight or is a riser needed?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm having  a Deltapoint milled into the slide of my M&P 9c as we speak.

It's being done by David Bowie at Bowie Tactical Concepts. He is a SWAT officer and is using one on his carry gun.

Here is his website with pictures of pistols with RMR and Deltapoints mounted:  http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

Here is a link to a current thread on another forum:   http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61479

Trvlngnrs
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]
It's not on an AR, but I am the new proud owner of a Deltapoint.  So far......I love it!!  It'll be a fantastic little set up in the woods of Maine this Fall.....  Inside, you get some starburst, but outside that dot gets very crisp and its brightness fluctuates perfectly in varying light.  Extremely fast on target....

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/DLuke/DSC01264.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/DLuke/DSC01263.jpg
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Does anyone know if the motion sensor is optical or inertial? That was the only question I could find still left unanswered. If its optical (sees movement), then sitting in a case in my trunk would be fine because its dark. If it's inertial (feels movement) then it may think its being used while its bouncing around in the trunk.

It is inertial, so any time that it moves the slightest bit, it turns on, so if it is rattling around in the trunk of your car it will be on all the time, but if it is sitting in your safe it would be off.  Incidentally it is the same motion sensor that is in the new VX-3 illumination modules.  However the Mark 4 illuminated reticle scopes do not have the auto off sensor, otherwise the illumination module is the same, has something to do with the Military not wanting the auto off feature.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For manual shut-off, you snap a cover on it.  Pop it off when needed.  This would take no longer than turning on an Aimpoint or EOTech (actually, it's faster).

I have 2 questions.
1.  Washout.  In a dark environment using a weapon light, would the sensor allow the Deltapoint to get bright enough to prevent washout?
2.  Is the supplied picatinny mount tall enough to clear an AR15 front sight or is a riser needed?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these.

So far Leupold has not returned my emailed info request.
Anyone?
Thanks

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top