Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2010 8:13:55 AM EDT
I am going to be purchasing one of the new Nikon M-223 scopes and want to put it into a Larue QR mount. I checked on Larue's site for mounting instructions and they were kind of vague. Can anybody give me some pointers on how to install a scope in the Larue mount system? I have never mounted a scope in or on anything so I have no idea as to what tools I will need and how to do it.

Thanks,

870fan
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The LaRue mount comes with the necessary tools to mount the scope into it. The LaRue mount has 4 screws on each ring. The way I prefer to tighten these is similar to the way you tighten lugnuts. I tighten say the top left, then I got to the bottom right, then top right, then top left. Then I go back over it once to make sure everything is still tight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
It says in the instructions that come with it to tighten the bottom two first then the top two.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The LaRue mount comes with the necessary tools to mount the scope into it. The LaRue mount has 4 screws on each ring. The way I prefer to tighten these is similar to the way you tighten lugnuts. I tighten say the top left, then I got to the bottom right, then top right, then top left. Then I go back over it once to make sure everything is still tight.

So you don't need to use a bubble level to level the crosshairs?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I went thru this with my Aimpoint figured its the same as a scope. Here is a link
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you don't need to use a bubble level to level the crosshairs?

I've never used those things and I've probably mounted 2-300 scopes. We do it where I work. I've never had anyone complain about it not being level.
Originally
Posted By Wormydog1724:

It says in the instructions that come with it to tighten the bottom two
first then the top two.

Oh,
well hell thats what I did then if its what the instructions said. Its
been a while since I mounted my scope in the mount.

But thats how I do my regular scope rings though. Tighten diagonally.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I do it this way as well. Once I have it tightened down and I'm happy with the position of the scope and crosshairs, I remove one screw at a time to add a dab of loctite then tighten them back down. Sure you can just add the loctite the first time around but I like doing it my way just in case something is messed up etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Lower bolts first, then top. after I get everything tight then I torque to 15 inch pounds lower then top. Definitely use a level or a plumb line. I started using the feeler guage method a couple of weeks ago and it definitely helps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lower bolts first, then top. after I get everything tight then I torque to 15 inch pounds lower then top. Definitely use a level or a plumb line. I started using the feeler guage method a couple of weeks ago and it definitely helps.

Any link describing the "feeler gauge method'?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I saw it in the precision rifle section of the armory. but basically you use feeler guages between the scope and base to help level the scope. I think it helpls to keep it from moving during the torquing process.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top