Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2010 5:03:58 PM EDT
Im getting a Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40

I know you get what you pay for but, the QD LT-104 is a little more than I want to spend on socpe rings.

I was looking at the RRA Hi-Rise Scope Rings. Are these ne good?

Are there ne other scope rings that ne one would sugguest that are reasonably priced (under $100)

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a american spirit arms scope mount which is almost exactly the same thing as that. I have had it for years and it works pretty good for how cheap it is. I too really want to upgrade to the larue mount but have a hard time justifying 200 for something I already have because it looks badass. no matter how much I like larue gear.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been looking into these scope rings by Burris.  3mm or 1in are both $69.95 at SWFA, sounds decent.  I can't comment on how they perform, but I'm hoping someone else here can.  I'll probably pick these up real soon.

http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-30mm-Scope-Mount-P12623.aspx
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
SWFA is GTG, they have great customer service. I bought me 10x Super Sniper scope for my long range FN XP rig from them.

I actually used the CAA dual scope ring mount, with my Bushnell 1-4x24 red dot scope,  and it works great and is a great price.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XFOBDVSR&groupid=84
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at this forward one piece scope mount from DNZ Products at Midwayusa.com for $79.99.
It looked interesting, but I was not familiar with the company though.

DNZ Products Freedom Reaper

There is also a 20 MOA elevated scope base version of it for $84.99
DNZ 20 MOA elevated
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have Burris rings on 2 and they are GTG.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]
You get what you pay for.  

Buy once, cry once.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Save for the LaRue.
I have used Warne Maxima series. Tactical and QD. No issues. Count the thread turns.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Buy once, cry once.  

+100

I made the mistake of buying a DMS-1 1-4x scope a while ago.  Piss poor glass and weak construction.  It broke after falling out of my safe.  

I'll be replacing it with a Trijicon TR24G.

Go for the Larue.  It is worth every penny (IMHO).
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#13]
This JP Enterprises rig is the shiz.  You can get them for much less that this Brownell price.  JP gives military and LEO discounts.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=51654/sku/30mm_Flattop_Optical_Mount

Or.....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=53125/sku/Flattop_Scope_Mount__30mm

OR

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=52761/sku/AD_Scout_Cantilever_Mount

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#14]
If money was tight and I didn't want quick release I think I would go with the SWFA S.S.A.L.T They are supposed to have a newer version out soon that will have the rings spaced a little further apart
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Buy once, cry once.  

i don't mean to get off your topic but the buy once, cry once addage isn't cliche.  i'm in the same boat as you.  i tried to save money and after replacing a lot of the lower priced stuff (rings and optics)that didn't work out as i planned i now save and buy the right stuff the first time.  my first LT104 arrived last week for the TR20 i bought used and i couldn't be happier.  besides, if money ever becomes tight or i just want a change of pace, my LT104 will sell on the EE ASAP.  having said that, this LT104 will be with me forever.

check out the EE and see if you can pick up a REAL LT mount from a reputable seller and save a few bucks.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Those SWFA items look suspiciously like Burris items....I guess Burris has them manufactured somewhere and brands them...just like SWFA...wonder if they are Chicom????  LOL.

Call JP Enterprises directly and get that product.  He makes them here in the USA.  Otherwise, go with LaRue....
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#18]
ADM offers great mounts at good price
also good deals can be found in the Equipment Exchange
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I've used the old style RRA one piece and a ProMag one piece and found that I couldn't get enough eye relief.  Since then I've been using either an extended rail and qd rings or the ADM recon or ADM recon x (similar to the LaRue).
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#20]
American Defense makes a QD 30mm ring/mount.  
Not as nice as the LT but it is easier on the wallet,
while still giving you the QD option.
I had one on an old yote gun of mine and it worked great.
Took it off and put it back many times with no POI shift.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#22]
the optics mount is the last place I would try to save money

for example, use an A2 stock ($70) instead of an UBR or PRS ($240-250) and you almost saved enough money for the LT-104.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#23]
The camming action of the Larue is what makes it so solid and well worth the price. the cost of doing there home work. That being said it is a high price to swallow if you have never had a hunt ruined by a cheap mount.
I have the SWFA SSALT on a range only rifle and it has held up to thousands of 22lr rounds. It is gtg.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those SWFA items look suspiciously like Burris items....I guess Burris has them manufactured somewhere and brands them...just like SWFA...wonder if they are Chicom????  LOL.

Call JP Enterprises directly and get that product.  He makes them here in the USA.  Otherwise, go with LaRue....

If i remember right Burris has manufacturing facilities. SWFA does not, so probably Burris. Mine says nothing about where it is made.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for LaRue. I have cut corners on the mounts and optics for several rifles, in the end I ended up getting the Larue mount. FWIW I now have two rifles with The Larue mounts and the same scope you have and a third with The LaRue mount and a 6x18 40 VXIII. Save the money and get the LaRue it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy once, cry once.  

i don't mean to get off your topic but the buy once, cry once addage isn't cliche.  i'm in the same boat as you.  i tried to save money and after replacing a lot of the lower priced stuff (rings and optics)that didn't work out as i planned i now save and buy the right stuff the first time.  my first LT104 arrived last week for the TR20 i bought used and i couldn't be happier.  besides, if money ever becomes tight or i just want a change of pace, my LT104 will sell on the EE ASAP.  having said that, this LT104 will be with me forever.

check out the EE and see if you can pick up a REAL LT mount from a reputable seller and save a few bucks.  

Larue mounts retain there value.

If the mount isn't all beat up (I mean really you've got to be doing something wrong if your scratching the anodize) you can list it on the EE for $5 under cost and it will sell.

Seriously, OP you just dropped $500 + on an optic, and now you want to save $100 by going with a cheap mount that may be of questionable quality?

If you were using some BSA or other cheep optic I say sure knock yourself out.

I assume you built your own AR based on your posts.  Did you use some cheap parts on that too, or did you stick with quality parts?

I just don't understand people like this, it's the same type who orders "A double quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and a large DIET coke."

Your shitting me...  Do you LIKE the taste of DIET coke more than regular?  Do you really think the 200 calories you saved on that DIET coke makes a dam bit of difference in your 2500 calorie meal?

These same people buy a $3000 gun then complain that mags are more than $20/ea.  Or that the $250/1000 case of ammo isn't accurate enough.

It's really as simple as...  You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know of a good 40MOA flat top mount?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have $95 to spend, get a LaRue Eotech mount off of ebay (ill psot the link) and put rings on that. It worked for me. At 100 yards i have no loss of zero when i remove it and replace it.

Best part is, its more like a rail riser, so you can basically put any mount on it, plus i can turn around and sell it for $90+ when i payed $95 for it, not bad!!

ETA: The ebay seller doesnt have any right now, sorry...LINK TO SELLER
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I have to agree with what many posters have said about getting what you pay for.  LaRue is awesome and worth every penny.  However, is that what the OP needs?  If you will be switching the scope to other guns, using the gun for SD or SHTF, if you have back up sights that you will be using frequently, if it's a gun to be used in matches (3 Gun and such), then you should invest the $ in LaRue.  

However, if this is a gun for shooting far only, and you will never be switching the scope to other guns, or never shooting close enough to use irons, etc.  Than you should look into a quality Non-QD mount/rings. I think there are good ones out there for about $100 or maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#30]

I just don't understand people like this, it's the same type who orders "A double quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and a large DIET coke."

Your shitting me...  Do you LIKE the taste of DIET coke more than regular?  Do you really think the 200 calories you saved on that DIET coke makes a dam bit of difference in your 2500 calorie meal?

actually, i REALLY do like the taste of DIET coke better.

another reason for LT...today i was testing out a variety of rounds for two different rifles.  i used the same scope for both since haven't bought a dedicated scope for each rifle yet.  just sayin', options...
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

actually, i REALLY do like the taste of DIET coke better.

another reason for LT...today i was testing out a variety of rounds for two different rifles.  i used the same scope for both since haven't bought a dedicated scope for each rifle yet.  just sayin', options...

Your an odd one, but I do the same with my Larue mounts.  I just add new rifles and sight adjustments to my "dope book".
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Another vote for LaRue. I have cut corners on the mounts and optics for several rifles, in the end I ended up getting the Larue mount. FWIW I now have two rifles with The Larue mounts and the same scope you have and a third with The LaRue mount and a 6x18 40 VXIII. Save the money and get the LaRue it is well worth it.

Save up and buy the Larue or buy something now and then just sell it and buy the Larue later after you figure out the mistake you made...However I do understand a budget....JMHO
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#33]
After more research and the hives opinions........im going to go with the Larue

The only quesion now (i have all ready emailed Larue) is i have YHM flip up sights do i need the
LT 104 or the LT 135
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#34]
i owned a rra scope mount and i can say that the mount is extremely solid and will not budge, it ain't going nowhere....

that said, i'll be ordering a larue shortly mainly due to the quick detach.  i pondered a yankee hill scout rail and 30mm rings but my lt150 was the deciding factor, it has been 100% solid as a rock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The only quesion now (i have all ready emailed Larue) is i have YHM flip up sights do i need the
LT 104 or the LT 135

good choice.  you will get a quicker response calling them.  i have an LT104 on my stealth and it is awesome. now i just need a scope to go in it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I just bought my glass. Now it is time to get my Larue mount. I debated on what I really needed. And what it came down to was I needed a LaRue. I also understand a budget. I can't get mine until next month. It will be worth evry penny.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Another vote for LaRue. I have used the Burris Tactical rings, Warne Maxima QD rings, ADM recon mount, and a few LaRue LT-104's.

If I never, ever, ever had to take my scope off I would probably try the JP mount but I like the fact that when I'm cleaning my AR's I can take the scopes off (mounted in LT-104's) and know when I re-attach it I will not have to worry if it's still zeroed or not. Also sometimes when transporting my guns I will take all my scopes off of them so I have no worries about them getting screwed up during a rough drive into the middle of nowhere.

When I built my first AR I didn't really understand the "You Get What You Pay For" thing! I started with Burris tactical rings and they were ok but big and bulky and I couldn't take my scope off with out having to re-zero it. I tried Warne Maxima's next and they were ok and seemed to retain zero but I was always afraid I would put one back on a bit crooked and jack up my scope. I then bought a LaRue LT-104 and fell in love with it and bought 2 more for my other rigs. About a year ago I needed another mount for a new build and decided to try an ADM Recon mount. I like the mount and it seems to work properly but it just doesn't give me the warm tinglies my LT-104's do.

If I were you I would be on the EE as often as possible looking for the killer deal on a LT-104. That's just my opinion though and probably not worth much.

ETA: Im sick right now and my brain feels whacked out so hopefully some of this actually makes sense
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

LT 104 or the LT 135

You chose wisely!  

I've replaced every other mount I ever played with w/ LaRue kit... Heck, the near-perfect return to zero is awesome just for cleaning if you ever need it after a nasty, wet, muddy trip.

Honestly, it's a bit of a leap of faith but it helps to remember an optic/mount is an integrated system and you'll have no issues.  If it helps, research about some of the guys with high dollar bolt guns and how much they spend on custom lapped rings that aren't easily removable.

Enjoy your Leupold and LaRue set-up!

B2

ETA:  You might want to call LaRue Tactical vs. e-mail for your question... They're backlogged and will maybe answer your question faster via landline.   Regardless, they're dang good at what they do.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top