Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 8:10:32 AM EDT
Need to buy a backup pair but there are so many to choose from. I cannot decide.

I have only have used the MI low profile rear sight and the plastic magpul set.  

What do yall think is the best? I would love to hear your opinions on:  

1) Front folding site to go on a rail
2) Folding site for the rear.

Please give me the model type too so that I can track it down and purchase it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say the best is subjective, but to me it's probably the Troy BUIS set.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Troy for me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Troy for me.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Troy for me.

Same

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Troy for me.

Same

Same
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Besides the Troys, these are worth a look:

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop2/index.php?categoryID=131

- KAC Micro BUIS
- KAC front BUIS
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#7]
very subjective..

I have PRI front flip up on my SBR and my 18"SS (yes i know u said rail mount)

I have Wilson Combat BUIS on the rear. At the time, it was one of the only rear flip ups that had Elevation AND windage adjustments and it was the flattest laying site which is what I wanted.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Troy
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Troy.  My MagPul MBUS set is also excellent if you're on a budget.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Troy or KAC
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Troy or Midwest Industries
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Troy, KAC or MBUS for us cheap bastards.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the KAC 200-600m for rear, and either KAC or Troy for front.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Samson rear sight on the way. I have read good things about their front sight but I guess their rear sight is a fairly new product because I can't find any info on it. Looks comparable to the Troy. Anyone have experience with the Samson rear flip-up sight?

It's this one. Nice looking sight in my opinion.
http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/QF-FRS-A2.html

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Troy
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Troy Industries.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Budget?  Magpul MBUS.  No budget?  Troy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the best rear buis is the GG&G MAD BUIS and if you don't you should try one... so solid, no play or side to side movement whatsoever. However I can not say the same for their quick flip front sight. It has a fraction of movement which equals a degree of inaccuracy. Sure does look nice though... a.r.m.s makes good buis. cant go wrong with troy. I like the troy's with Larue logos, would love ot have those
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#19]
DPMS -rear sight is narrow , no sight obtructions . Front sight folds forward and has two hight ajustments for gas block or rail mounting . And I have a set for sale .LOL .
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just got one the other day, it is much sturdier than I was expecting.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I am not trying to be a smart ass, but I never understood the whole flip up front sight thing to begin with.  What is wrong with using a standard FSB?  If using a magnified optic, you cant see it.  It doesnt show up in the scope.   If you are using a red dot, you can co-witness right?

I have put several scopes on rifles with front sight posts and had no problems.  Am I missing something?  I guess if you want to use a red dot, and not co-witness, then the flip up is necessary.

Someone let me know what the advantage of the flip down front is exactly please.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven't used Troy, but I like my YHM Q.D.S. (MSRP $207.00 from YHM)

If you need to mount a set under a big scope tube, they are excellent.

YHM is very proud to introduce the newest addition to our product lineup. The Quick Deploy Sight System features an automatic deploy system that springs the sight up with the push of a button. Both front and rear sights lock positively in the folded and deployed positions and are made from aircraft quality aluminum and hardcoated to military specifications.

The rear sight is available with either a single large peep, single small peep, or dual peep aperture. When folded the sight measures just .435 inches from the rail.

The front sight mounts on the same plane as the rear and uses standard hardware. It is available with either a hooded or standard stem. When folded the sight measures just .435 inches from the rail.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am not trying to be a smart ass, but I never understood the whole flip up front sight thing to begin with.  What is wrong with using a standard FSB?  If using a magnified optic, you cant see it.  It doesnt show up in the scope.   If you are using a red dot, you can co-witness right?

I have put several scopes on rifles with front sight posts and had no problems.  Am I missing something?  I guess if you want to use a red dot, and not co-witness, then the flip up is necessary.

Someone let me know what the advantage of the flip down front is exactly please.

Personal preference. Some dont like the FSB in the picture with thier red dot or at lower magnification on thier scopes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Troy hands down. They are $ though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Besides the Troys, these are worth a look:

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop2/index.php?categoryID=131

- KAC Micro BUIS
- KAC front BUIS

This.

KAC is my favorite followed by Troy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#26]
thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. I'm googling these as people post more and more models.  There are so many models available so you guys are saving me a ton of time.  Thanks.

I guess I should have said that I was looking for the sites on 2 different rifles.

The SBR needs a rear BUIS. It has a fixed front sight post. It currently has an Aimpoint with the Larue LT-129 mount.

My 16" BM needs a folding front site on the end of its rail. Running an 4X optic on it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#27]
What's the difference between the standard rear and micro rear sights? Its hard for me to tell by the photos in the KAC site. Is it the size of the aperture, the knobs, overall dimensions of the base? Just looking for clarification.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I dont like the looks of the FSB..Im also using a 1 x 4 power scope, so at 1 x it shows up, maybe fuzzy but still there. I also dont think an AR "Flows" looks wise with FSB and rear flip ups. FSB and A1 or A2 carry handle upper is fine. Also, I cant stand the looks of rail mounted Flip ups. it breaks up the flow of the rails also. IMO, it looks like it just doesnt belong up there.

Here is my 18" SS with PRI. but it really comes down to preference. The only advantage would be 1) wont be in the site picture , fuzzy or not and 2) wont snag on anything

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Troy folding rear BUIS ,and I don't use front folding BUIS .

I prefer to use a fold down rear to get it out of in front of my optic ,but I always have a
standard A frame front sight .

Less to mess with if the BUIS are needed in an emergency ,less chance of a mechanical failure,
and less chance of having the  combined movement of front and rear sights shifting your POI .
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I personally prefer the Troy BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I have MI BUIS on both of mine but I recently came across a set of Troy's.  I have no complaints about my MI BUIS but the Troy sight's just feel so much better.  Next AR will have Troy sights.

Great price for Troy sights

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What's the difference between the standard rear and micro rear sights? Its hard for me to tell by the photos in the KAC site. Is it the size of the aperture, the knobs, overall dimensions of the base? Just looking for clarification.

The micro sights are smaller/lighter with a slimmer profile. I love them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The micro is lower so it can fit under a scope.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You can't fit a 13" rail on even a rifle length gas system with an stock FSB, so flip up it is.

That and the origional FSB is heavy in comparison to a flip up, just more weight out at the muzzle end.

I've used a few different flip up sights both front and rear, Troy wins, but is expensive.  Get what you can afford, it doesn't necessarily have to be the best or most expensive, it is a back up sighting system after all.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The micro sights are smaller/lighter with a slimmer profile. I love them.

+1.  They are my favorites, followed by troy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the micro is simply a smaller, slimmer version, mainly to provide cost savings to the customer (a KAC representative stated that the micros were developed to cater to the commercial market, to compete with troys and the like).  The original KAC sights fit just fine under scopes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I use Troy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I just posted a question exactly like this about a week ago..  After everyone's respons I went with a combo set of TROY's from Larue Tactical.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=487228
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Troy of course.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the micro is simply a smaller, slimmer version, mainly to provide cost savings to the customer (a KAC representative stated that the micros were developed to cater to the commercial market, to compete with troys and the like).  The original KAC sights fit just fine under scopes.

explains why i cant fit a normal 600m under my scope, but a micro fits easily
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Troy or KAC for folders... LMT for fixed BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Another +one for the KAC micros here. I like having the option to adjust elevation on the rear sight. I've fucked up a few front sight posts trying to adjust them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Can the KAC micros take an impact like dropping the rifle and it landing on the them? Looks like they would get bent or maybe brake off. Just wondering how they would stand up to abuse or accidents.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Overall - Troy
Lowest Cost - MBUS
Coolest and Lowest Profile - KAC
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Odd that ARMS isnt getting any votes.....  I have an ARMS 40-L and I like it as much as my Troy BUIS.  I dont have any experience with folding front sights as I like the standard FSB. If I were however, Id go with the ARMS 40 as it keeps the same profile of a standard FSB.  

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying that Troy isnt a great set, I just like my ARMS set just as much.

Like someone else posted, Im interested in the Samson sight. Spikes is selling them, so I cant imagine that they are no good.  I may pick some up for my next build.

Oh, and another set for a budget, aside from the MBUS, would be this new set from ARMS. It is a metal reinforced polymer. They are only $89 for the set. Dont have experience with them, but they look like they would make a great set.  ARMS 71
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd go Troy if the irons will be your primary sight, something more cost effective if they are backup.
Unless of course your life depends on that backup.

I've got a set of the MBUS and I plan to use on my SBR as back-up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

^ this
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ this

+2
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Troy for me.

Same

Same

yup
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I second the YHM QDS set. For $143 (IIRC) from Bright Flashlights they have been holding up very well. I like them a lot. my next purchase will be the Troy fixed set.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top