Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:56:29 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy an Eotech but can't decide on which one to order.  I will most likely order one online so I want to make sure I get the one I want/need instead of having buyers remorse.

I have decided on the following features:

I would like the eotech to be NV capable, maginifier capable, have the buttons on the left side, standard retical, take AA batteries, and be able to co witness directly with the front sight.  I have a fold down front sight so I don't want the 1/3 lower co witness, I'll just flip the sights down if needed for better field of view.

I keep looking at eotech's website but can't seem to figure out which one would fit my needs.  Will the raised base models only allow 1/3 co witness?  I like the aimpoint throw levers quick detach mount but not sure if that would take the eotech too high to co witness?

Right now, I won't be running NV or the maginifier but I would like the option to do so in the future if I decide I want to.  I want to find the model I want in order to call around for the best price.

Any help would be appriciated.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm... I don't think there's a model that fits all your requirements. The 557 does it all except for the BDC reticle and the raised 7mm base that gives you a 1/3 cowitness. The 552 gives you the absolute cowitness & the std circle-dot reticle but the buttons are on the back.
I'd do w/o the absolute cowitness and select either the 517 (buttons on the side, 1/3 cowitness, std reticle but not NV compatible) or the 557 (buttons on the side, 1/3 cowitness, BDC reticle but is NV compatible). W/either model you retain the ability to use a magnifier. I don't expect to be using NV so I prefer the 517 w/its std reticle (YMMV).
HTH, keep us posted...
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Man that sucks.  I was hoping that I just wasn't looking at the models correctly.  I didn't think that I was asking all that much out of the sight.  Wonder why they don't make one in that configuration?

I would also like if they could make a couple different retical choices on one unit so you could choose which one you wanted based on the circumstances.

Not sure which one I'll be going with now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the XPS off the table?

I would get an XPS if I were buying one today.

NV = ~$100 so unless you actually need it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He wants to use AA batteries.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the 557.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He wants to use AA batteries.
Tomac

Saw that...but it's kinda like buying a car and it has to have whitewalls.

123s are a much better choice due to shelf life, life and (for the military) availabiity.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
123s are a much better choice due to shelf life, life and (for the military) availabiity.

Depends. All my other gear (GPS, lights, radios, etc) use AA's so logistically it makes more sense for me to have an Eotech that uses AA's as well (again, YMMV).
Tomac

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like to stick with AA batteries as you can stop and buy them anywhere if needed.  I have no idea what the other battery is let alone where to buy one offhand.

I'll most likely lean towards the 552 as I guess I can live with the buttons on the back of the unit as long as the 552 has all the other qualities that I'm looking for.  I just want to have the option of NV and magnification if I wish to go that route at some point.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I just sent you an email about price. AA's are nice because they are redily available..but anymore so are 123's! If you go the AA route use lithiums!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I started looking at the XPS sights.  One of the things that I was looking at with the AA batteries is availability.  I don't think that the 123 batteries would be all that hard to find, barring the end of society as we know it.  I'll save that for another time.  As long as I can go to wal-mart and get batteries, I'll be happy.

I was looking at the XPS 3-2 sight as it seemed to have a lot of what I'm looking for and is lighter/smaller then some of the other sights.  One thing i really like is that you can switch reticals.  My understanding is that they have three choices of reticals you can switch from.  I looked at these origionally but didn't look long as they took the 123 batteries.

What I can't figure out is why the 3-2 is more expensive then the 2-0, 3-0, ect.  They seem like they have the same specs.  Anyone know the differences between them and why one is more expensive then the other?

I never knew that EOtech made so many different sights.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I started looking at the XPS sights.  One of the things that I was looking at with the AA batteries is availability.  I don't think that the 123 batteries would be all that hard to find, barring the end of society as we know it.  I'll save that for another time.  As long as I can go to wal-mart and get batteries, I'll be happy.

I was looking at the XPS 3-2 sight as it seemed to have a lot of what I'm looking for and is lighter/smaller then some of the other sights.  One thing i really like is that you can switch reticals.  My understanding is that they have three choices of reticals you can switch from.  I looked at these origionally but didn't look long as they took the 123 batteries.

What I can't figure out is why the 3-2 is more expensive then the 2-0, 3-0, ect.  They seem like they have the same specs.  Anyone know the differences between them and why one is more expensive then the other?

I never knew that EOtech made so many different sights.

Keep in mind that there are three models with three different reticles.  One cannot change reticles at will on a single model.  i plan on picking up an XPS fairly soon.

eta:  One is more expensive is because it is NV compatible.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#12]
So no matter what sight I get, there will be only one retical?  It showed three different aiming dots on EOtech's website listed under the 3-2 so i assumed that you could select what you wanted to use.  I guess I was wrong on that one?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would like to stick with AA batteries as you can stop and buy them anywhere if needed.  I have no idea what the other battery is let alone where to buy one offhand.

I'll most likely lean towards the 552 as I guess I can live with the buttons on the back of the unit as long as the 552 has all the other qualities that I'm looking for.  I just want to have the option of NV and magnification if I wish to go that route at some point.

Just remember that w/the buttons on the back, using a magnifier or NV can make accessing the buttons difficult if not impossible.
Tomac

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Correct - one reticle per model.

Personally I wouldn't buy a AA EOTech model due to issues with linear battery movement under recoil.  IMO the transverse design in the XPS series makes better engineering sense.  (I recently bought an XPS2-0 to supplement my old 511.)
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just remember that w/the buttons on the back, using a magnifier or NV can make accessing the buttons difficult if not impossible.
Tomac

I've accepted the fact that I'm going to have to make compromises on this sight as they don't have one that has all the features I want.  If the buttons are on the back, will that effect a magnifer that flips out of the way?  I was assuming that you could flip the magnifer optic out of the way and make the setting adjustments and flip the magnifier back?

Thanks for all the great responses and the help. I'm now starting to lean towards one of the X series with the 123 batteries.  Shouldn't be too hard to get 123 batteries now that I checked into it and they are lighter then the AA model by 3-4 ounces IIRC.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've accepted the fact that I'm going to have to make compromises on this sight as they don't have one that has all the features I want.  If the buttons are on the back, will that effect a magnifer that flips out of the way?  I was assuming that you could flip the magnifer optic out of the way and make the setting adjustments and flip the magnifier back?

Thanks for all the great responses and the help. I'm now starting to lean towards one of the X series with the 123 batteries.  Shouldn't be too hard to get 123 batteries now that I checked into it and they are lighter then the AA model by 3-4 ounces IIRC.

Correct, you can still access the buttons w/the magnifier flipped to the side.
If you're looking at the new XPS series then hold out for the EXPS3-0 or EXPS3-2 which are due out soon, they give you side buttons plus NV compatibility:
http://www.eotechinc.com/product.php?id=38&cat=1
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I might just do that.  I was looking at one of them on eotech's web site. I'm not in any hurry although it seems if I have cash in hand and wait, the cash in hand gets spent on something else.

I might just wait unless I decide to go with a 500 model.

Do the new e models have the raised bases requiring the 1/3 co witness?  I do not want to have the 1/3 co witness.  I think that it would limit field of view too much in case the eotech goes down.  I think that I would much rather have the irons in the middle of the view finder.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do the new e models have the raised bases requiring the 1/3 co witness?

Yes.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#19]
In that case, the xps3-0 is most likely the way I'm going to go.  Thanks for all your help guys.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#20]
The XPS series is very nice in that it's extremely compact in size which allows extra room for folding sights and magnifiers. The transverse battery arrangement is also very nice because you don't have the constant motion of batteries going back and forth due to recoil. It's a very smart and solid set-up! I think you would get alot of good years on your duty rifle from this model!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Ordered the 3-0 today.  Thanks for the help.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top