Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2010 4:09:49 PM EDT
I'm looking for a red dot for my AR-15 (.223). After some research, I've fallen in love with the Aimpoint CompC3 30mm red dot. I know the pros and cons when comparing to other Aimpoint red dots, and even though its one of the "lower end" Aimpoint models, it has everything I need.

I saw that SWFA has a pretty good deal for a kit, which includes covers and a ring, for $400 which they are also selling on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Aimpoint-CompC3-pack...=item2ea7f7beb2

Frankly, I don't have $400 to spend on an optic. I still want a red dot with unlimited eye relief, a 2 or 4 MOA dot, and a product that won't fall apart after 100 rounds like many of the lower end products. I'd prefer to NOT get an eotech holographic sight, since I am not a fan of those reticles and they are also expensive. I'd like to spend between $100-250 for my optic.... but there is still the possibility of waiting a few more months to save up for an aimpoint.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for a red dot that is still decent yet at a lower price point. I'll only be shooting the weapon with this optic at 50-200 yds. and this will be my first red dot sight.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
2 words, vortex strikefire, ive had mine now for like a year and a half with no probs, lifetime warranty also and vortex's customer service is second to none in my opinion, how much do u have saved up right now, if your halfway to buy the aimpoint then my advice is to save the rest up and get the aimpoint, i love my strikefire but im gonna switch it out for an aimpoint as soon as i get the money together just strictly for the battery life of them, good luck, keep us updated
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
ohh and also i can shoot mine pretty accurately out to 200 yards and its a 4moa dot, i like magnification, but u just cant beat the speed of a red dot optic at close to medium ranges
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Vortex or Primary Arms.

I'm really liking my StrikeFire.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me spell it out for you. Vortex Strikefire!!! You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a IOR Valdada RDS EDGE , got it from SWFA for 199 with a cantilever mount , It is awesome!
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Primary arms.  I have their M3 clone and couldn't be happier.  I feel that I got a lot more optic than what I paid for.  Vortex is also a good choice.  Honestly though if you only have to wait 2 months to have the money to buy the aimpoint, I would wait.  The only reason I didn't was because I just don't have a flexable enough budget.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
What about the Vortex SPARC??? I saw it on SWFA: http://swfa.com/Vortex-SPARC-Red-Dot-Sights-C2988.aspx

Looks pretty slick. Anyone have some comparison between the vortex strikefire and sparc???
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned plenty of red dots, including a bunch of Aimpoints.  To tell the truth, I don't know that spending the money on an Aimpoint is really necessary for most.  Yes, there are those who lives rely on their weapon and NEED the toughness and battery life of an Aimpoint, but most do not.  As a practical matter, they all do the same thing.  The only real differences among them are stuff like battery life, water proofness, and their ability to withstand rough handling.  I'd be more worried about who I bought something from than where it was made.  I think that if you got the Vortex or the one from Primary Arms you'd be happy with either and if you do have a problem, you know those people will stand behind their product.

For the price of the Aimpoint, you could get into a good red dot with an ADM mount.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
For SUB 100$ choices, PRIMARY ARMS red dot gen2/gen3 ftw!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the strikefire and have now shot with he sparc. Both are excellent optics. Personally I prefer the sparc because of its smaller size and quicker target accusition. But thats just preference for me. Either one is an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Burris XTS 135. I have one and have been vey happy with it. I also have the PA M3 multi. Happy with it so far too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Vortex Strikefire all the way
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I second all the suggestions for the Vortex Strikefire, however I would also look into the SPARC. It has some absolutely unheard of features for its price-point, including NV mode and a 2 MOA dot! And it comes from the factory with solid mounts and all sorts of crazy accessories. I'm eagerly awaiting their release, and I own an Eotech!

If you do go with the larger Strikefire, wait until they've released the revised version with the brighter dot and recessed power button. Either way, you can't go wrong with Vortex.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:44:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I really like both the Vortex SPARC and Bushnell Trophy TRS-25.  What does everyone think of comparing both those?  SPARC comes with more accessories, and is $60-$80 more, but good accessories....  As I'm typing this I'm answering my own question...  I like the Sparc better, so does anyone have any reason to like the Bushnell better? Anything I'm missing?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Ordered my Vortex Strikefire today. Can't wait for it to get here.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top