BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/13/2010 9:39:40 PM EDT
ok, so LaRue has an adjustable QD, ADM has their " Auto Lock" System, and BOBRO has the BLAC whatever it is.   I wanted to hear the pros and cons of each and find out everyones opinions on each.   Regardless if your opinion doesnt matter.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 Larues (had 4 at one time), have one ADM, and had one Bobro.

Larue - The one to beat.  Small, compact levers. Some don't like how it "burnishes" the rail.  If it is adjusted incorrectly it could gouge the rail.  
ADM - Seems like a good mount.  Easy to adjust without tools, but the adjustment is a little coarse.  It can go from loose to too tight with the smallest adjustment increment.  I have put it on pretty tight and it didn't mark up the rail.  Hard to take off if you put it on too tight.
Bobro - Looks sexy Single lever is fast to remove.  Nothing to adjust.  Leaves no marks.  Lever mechanism can be reversed but it sticks out a bit. A spring keeps tension on the rail, but I wonder if spring fatique will set in, loosening it a bit over time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Larue -  Some don't like how it "burnishes" the rail.  If it is adjusted incorrectly it could gouge the rail.  

Exactly why I am switching to ADM.

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I have Larue mounts on both of my Aimpoint CompM4 optics and my ACOG as well.  I have had two ADM mounts in the past and I wasn't impressed at all.  They are sloppy in their adjustment.  It is easy to do without tools, but the mount can go from too tight, to too loose in just a single turn.  Also, when it is on "TIGHT," it is very hard to release.  I have never had any BOBRO mounts, but if I ever feel like my Larue mounts start to fail me, (not likely) then I would give BOBRO a try.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Good Stuff! Please Keep it coming guys, anybody got some pictures to post up for more in depth comparison?
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never seen an ADM product worth caring about.  Sloppy, and simply put, Larues are similar but oh so much better.

In terms of Larue vs Bobro....

I like the idea of Bobro, but Larue mounts give me vertically split rings and a really nice easy flat spot to line up with my feeler gauges.  These two features make mounting and leveling incredibly easy.

Bobro from what I understand is great, but seems like it might be a little more tough to mount up initially, but if I were going to use one optic on two guns, the bobro is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#9]
IBTSS.

LaRue for me.  Top notch quality.  Amazing customer service.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I too am curious about mounting choices for an Aimpoint M4s mainly between the (Larue & Bobro),  anyone have any experience with the pros and cons of these two?   Seems the Bobro may have a larger contact area on the lever side, but lever profile does stick out a bit further than the Larue cam lock ?   Any pics or opinions would be appreciated !
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask Trijicon. They selected Bobro because it was the one that held up the longest to their torture test. They now are selling Bobro with their name on it.

I have all three. They are all good mounts.

First I heard of it, and I'm somewhat "in the know".

The fact is there are old, old alliances you are unaware of, and the accompanying politics that go with those alliances.

Maybe they did it because they can't seem to make the flats on the bottom of their scopes line up with the damn reticles.

Becomes painfully obvious when using one of your mounts , maybe not so much with a bobro.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#13]
LaRue for me. Customer service is over the top; I only wish they would sell their stealth lower seperately and make a 1911

I've seen an improperly adjusted LaRue burnish the rail. I don't have that problem - my optic is match with an upper, so I am rarely removing the mount.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Point well taken, I don't care about marks the strength of the mount is my only concern.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Many including myself will tout LaRue as making the best available kit with the other named companies arguably making equally good products.

What seals the deal on which brand to buy, IMO, is all the generosity that LaRue shows to his customers and most importantly to our boys over in the sandbox.  

this x pi
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LaRue for me. Customer service is over the top; I only wish they would sell their stealth lower seperately and make a 1911

I've seen an improperly adjusted LaRue burnish the rail
. I don't have that problem - my optic is match with an upper, so I am rarely removing the mount.

Not that I care what my shootin' stick looks like as long as it shoots and holds zero.....But being fair here, this is a VERY true statement.

Vic

"That's gonna leave a mark."

Guys, clamping anything to an aluminum 1913 picatinny rail "marks" it ...

... leave 'em in the safe and by all means, never, ever mount anything to the rails if you want them to stay safe-queen pristine.

Furthermore - loose, flopping, slipping, sliding mounts, moving back and forth with each shot fired, leave all sorts of "marks".  

ML[/span]

LOL! Funny shit!

Personally, LaRue is the only thing that goes on my rifle or what I spend my hard earned LES on.  With all these technologies and new mount manufacturers out there its good to figure out whatever whiz bang gizmo they are touting their mount to have that makes it better than the best, that being the primary reason for starting this thread.  

Mark, I stopped in your shop last time I was on leave, was over in Leander from Round Rock visiting the Kloc residence. Unfortunately, you werent in that particular day.    Ill be back in 6 months to buy ya a beer at Taco Cabana and sweet talk you into hookin me up with one of those outstanding stealth lowers with the beutiful engraving of my home state on them

And as always, I need some more kit for both my work tools and the ones at home
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an ADM mount for my TR24...nice enough and I like the ability to adjust the levers easily without tools.  Unfortunately the height doesn't work for me so I have a GG&G on the way.....

-Chris

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I have an ADM mount for my T1.  While ADM touts thier "no tools needed to adjust", that feature really only is a benefiet if you are moving your optic from one weapon to another.  For 90% of us, we will never really do that, and never need that feature.  The Larue uses a small wrench to adjust (which is supplied with the mount).  This wrench will even fit in a Sopmod/Vltor/Magpul stock tube.  Again, not a big deal.  Both mounts seem to be great, and while Larue is beloved here on Arfcom, the ADM H1 mount has served me well.

The biggest "pro" of Larue is thier ability to stand behing thier product, and the extra "perks" that come with buying from them.  

From all the reviews I have read, at least with the T1 mount, you cant go wrong with any of the makers you have listed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Well they say imitation is the sincerest of flattery.  If that's true then it's no secret who's mounts those ADM boys prefer.  Two of the many examples:

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen an improperly adjusted LaRue burnish the rail
. I don't have that problem - my optic is match with an upper, so I am rarely removing the mount.

Not that I care what my shootin' stick looks like as long as it shoots and holds zero.....But being fair here, this is a VERY true statement.

Vic

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_0852.jpg  

Quoted:
Here are some of my pics. I am nothing too special, just a PSD security contractor in Iraq

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Hilla/toy4.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Hilla/helmet5.jpg

"That's gonna leave a mark."

Guys, clamping anything to an aluminum 1913 picatinny rail "marks" it ...

... leave 'em in the safe and by all means, never, ever mount anything to the rails if you want them to stay safe-queen pristine.

Furthermore - loose, flopping, slipping, sliding mounts, moving back and forth with each shot fired, leave all sorts of "marks".  

ML

So true, who gives a sh*t if it leaves a marks as long as it works and holds a zero.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#23]
At what point did each mount fail their torture test?

What did the torture test consist of?

Quoted:

Ask Trijicon. They selected Bobro because it was the one that held up the longest to their torture test. They now are selling Bobro with their name on it.

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larue -  Some don't like how it "burnishes" the rail.  If it is adjusted incorrectly it could gouge the rail.  

Exactly why I am switching to ADM.

Whatever you do, do not shoot that rifle.  I hear that ammunition can wear the barrel.

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I hear all the moaning about adjustments, but both of the larue mounts I have go easily onto every weapon I have.

I have the tango down vert grip with an ADM QD mount, it works fine for that. Definitely wouldn't ever trust it for an actual optic mount over larue. The adms just seem flimsy.

that being said, I may have no choice but to buy an ADM SPR mount in 35mm unless larue makes one soon!
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

All (no pun intended) marks aside
, I'm just astounded how many folks I've seen at some local ranges AND gun shows using a screw driver to pry open a LT mount!
 Now I've had to use a prying tool with another "mount" out there (now broken) which I do not wish to get into that debate as the OP is only discussing 3 mounts in particular.... But IMHO, NOT much force is or should be needed to close up a mount if designed properly in the first place.

My guess would be that the the people you witnessed using a screwdriver on the LaRue mounts either had improperly adjusted LaRue levers or bitch hands.  I can only speak based on my sample of 13 but I have never had to use anything other than my fingers to remove a LaRue mount.

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Although I've never owned a Bobro, I'll go with LaRue every day of the week.  Sorry, but the, "It might burnish your rail", argument holds no water with me; it's a tool and is meant to be used.  I'd much rather have dependable return to zero, regardless of the "potential" of burnishing, any day.  FWIW, of the few LT mounts I've owned, I've never seen this burnishing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#30]
The burnishing that many people see and get scared of is the anti-seize (I think that's what it is) that is applied to the locking lever area during manufacturing.  When the mount is mounted to the rifle the anti-seize will wipe off from the lever to the anodizing leaving a white/silver swoosh shape mark and some people panic that the lever damaged the rifle.  I have seen this a few times and simply wiped it (the anti-seize) off with my finger.

Quoted:

Although I've never owned a Bobro, I'll go with LaRue every day of the week.  Sorry, but the, "It might burnish your rail", argument holds no water with me; it's a tool and is meant to be used.  I'd much rather have dependable return to zero, regardless of the "potential" of burnishing, any day.  FWIW, of the few LT mounts I've owned, I've never seen this burnishing.

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The burnishing that many people see and get scared of is the anti-seize (I think that's what it is) that is applied to the locking lever area during manufacturing.  When the mount is mounted to the rifle the anti-seize will wipe off from the lever to the anodizing leaving a white/silver swoosh shape mark and some people panic that the lever damaged the rifle.  I have seen this a few times and simply wiped it (the anti-seize) off with my finger.

Quoted:

Now I leave that stuff on there. It helps remind me where the damn thing is supposed to live.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I leave that stuff on there. It helps remind me where the damn thing is supposed to live.

Mystery solved.  LaRue mounts leave their own witness marks!

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mystery solved.  LaRue mounts leave their own witness marks!

"Our mounts don't burnish, they mark their territory"

funny stuff

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone?

Quoted:
At what point did each mount fail their torture test?

What did the torture test consist of?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 1:34:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I thought my Larue flashlight mount was a bit spendy at $89...but it came with $30 worth of schwag so it evens out!  It happened to be adjusted correctly out of the package for my rail, I never thought to care about the marks it left on 3 sides of my pretty MRP rails as I tried it in different locations.  Works great, locks up tight (and no screw driver needed for removal ), I'm very pleased.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll take the Larue any day of the week.  Besides the fact that their mounts do EVERYTHING I need them to do, Mark Larue has helped donate money to battle gun control in California.  This is not just a business for him.  It is a passion.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Someone previously mentioned Trijicon and the use of a Brobo mount. Just one quesion ... who's mount does this look like? Looks like LaRue to me. If not then it's a hell of a copycat.

Pic taken from this pageof Trijicon's website.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#38]
So how tight are you supposed to adjust the nut on the lever?  And why do those people need to use a screw driver to open the lever when all they needed to do was to loosen the nut using a wrench before opening the lever.  Doesn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#39]
You do not need to loosen the nut before opening the lever. The wrench is just for the initial adjustment when you first instal the mount to the rail. The wrench could be handy in the future for making adjustments if needed in the future (explained previously in this thread). I haven't had to make any adjustments to any of mine and they have been on and off quite a bit.

I've never had a mark on any of my rails from a LaRue mount. The silver streak just wipes off and seems to be due to lubricant. It would take someone that is REAL anal to worry about a supposed mark that would require a magnifying glass to see. I've never witnessed a mark.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Someone previously mentioned Trijicon and the use of a Brobo mount. Just one quesion ... who's mount does this look like? Looks like LaRue to me. If not then it's a hell of a copycat.

http://www.trijicon.com/parts/tanscallouts.jpg

Two things:

Firstly, the BOBRO mounts offered by Trijicon are for their 30mm and 1" Accupoints. Not all Trijicon mounts are BOBRO or were replaced by BOBRO. Trijicon manufacturers some of their own mounts, as well as using 3rd party mounts from BOBRO, Larue, and ARMS.

Secondly, that photo has been up for quite some time (and therefore "old") and would not be a good indicator as to whether or not the Larue mount was replaced with another.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#41]
I have yet to find a practical reason to pick anything other than a Larue mount.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.trijicon.com/parts/tanscallouts.jpg

Two things:

Firstly, the BOBRO mounts offered by Trijicon are for their 30mm and 1" Accupoints. Not all Trijicon mounts are BOBRO or were replaced by BOBRO. Trijicon manufacturers some of their own mounts, as well as using 3rd party mounts from BOBRO, Larue, and ARMS.

Secondly, that photo has been up for quite some time (and therefore "old") and would not be a good indicator as to whether or not the Larue mount was replaced with another.

Ahhhh thank you. With some more digging I now see the mounts in the Accupoint section.

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'll take the Larue any day of the week.  Besides the fact that their mounts do EVERYTHING I need them to do, Mark Larue has helped donate money to battle gun control in California.  This is not just a business for him.  It is a passion.

That was much appreciated.  I just wish they would change policy about not shipping lowers to California. It doesn't matter if you are buying an upper too- the lower is a no-go. I confirmed this in an email to Larue a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was much appreciated.  I just wish they would change policy about not shipping lowers to California. It doesn't matter if you are buying an upper too- the lower is a no-go. I confirmed this in an email to Larue a few weeks ago.

Is it because Mark doesn't feel like going through the hassle of getting his lowers added to "the list"?  If so, I really can't say I blame him.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it because Mark doesn't feel like going through the hassle of getting his lowers added to "the list"?  If so, I really can't say I blame him.

Someone from CA correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure "the list" contains the lowers you CAN'T buy in CA.  OFFLIST lowers, any that are not on the list are perfectly legal to purchase.

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Went with the ADM for my 458.  Could not be happier.  However, I do not have experience with the other two so I cannot make a comparison.  

My guess is that all three will do just fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone from CA correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure "the list" contains the lowers you CAN'T buy in CA.  OFFLIST lowers, any that are not on the list are perfectly legal to purchase.

You are correct. Unless the lower is specifically named, it is considered Off List, does not violate the CA AWB ban and can be owned. I don't know why ML doesn't want to ship his lowers into California.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I have two LaRue Mounts and wish I had more!   I don't know what the people who claim that they have seen LT mounts needing to be pried off with a screwdriver are talking about! I can move the levers on my mounts with just a few pounds of pressure, but when the lever on the mount is closed it is instantly rock solid.   No better design in my humble opinion!   P.S. I have been trolling this sight for a long time, and don't chime in much, but I keep noticing that the TNVC guy is always bashing Mark LaRue, and I think it is out of jealousy, because most of his claims just seem retarded!   I have spent money with both companies, but I only intend to continue with one!   Keep up the good work Mark!
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
but I keep noticing that the TNVC guy is always bashing Mark LaRue, and I think it is out of jealousy

I don't know the guy personally, but he always seems to make logical posts, his last one being true as well. Regardless of how well the Larue mounts are made, they will "burnish"/mar/remove anodizing/polish/"whatever you want to call it" your rails. It has to because the levers slide until locked, by friction, against the underside of the rails. Just because you may not care if it's "burnished" doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

I don't care if I get a nick on my rifle, but I also want to avoid putting them there if I can avoid it, hence why I prefer Bobro mounts. Nothing against Larue (and I'd take one if offered), but the Bobro is clearly superior in this regard. Their locking mechanism is the only one I've found that doesn't alter the finish. Again, if you don't care about marring your rail, that's fine, but don't act like everyone should share your beliefs. I do like keeping my nice things nice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top