Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2009 7:31:48 PM EDT
I bought an Aimpoint with a cantilever mount.  It feels strange having the optic a mile away from me.  I keep moving it back to sit against the rear BUIS, but it looks a little strange with the cantilever mount (see below).

Is there a point to the cantilever, other than to make room for a magnifier or NV?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
There are schools of thought about the distance a red dot optic should be away from the the eye.  Some feel that the distance allows better use of your peripheral vision, and not be tunnelled into what you see through the tube.

It basically comes down to training, anticipated use, and personal preference.  I will not knock someone for having the tube an inch from their face or as far down the receiver as they can manage it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting the optics weight just past the upper helps balance the weapon. Also the Red Dot works better out there faster better view etc. Its not a standard magnififed Optic and should not be run like one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Some feel that the distance allows better use of your peripheral vision, and not be tunnelled into what you see through the tube.

Ah, that actually makes sense.  I haven't shot it yet, but I moved it back so I could better focus on the optic with one eye closed.  I should move it forward and shoot with both eyes open, huh?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some feel that the distance allows better use of your peripheral vision, and not be tunnelled into what you see through the tube.

Ah, that actually makes sense.  I haven't shot it yet, but I moved it back so I could better focus on the optic with one eye closed.  I should move it forward and shoot with both eyes open, huh?

Yes
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Move it forward and train yourself to shoot with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, by moving it forward, you can get used to focusing on the target, and the dot should overlay itself instinctively.

Makes more sense when you try it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top